Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Samba running

Samba running

Hey,

What would be the chance to get Samba running on this box. I really would love to have something running where I can map my windows drive to (so alternatively some webdav would prob also work)

Then I can kick out my current Linux box that does all that.

If not, what would be the main bottleneck?
    Memory?
    Speed?

Ok, Thanks

Erik

Go ahead and try compiling it. In my opinion it will be too large for flashing it, but you can probably run it from the external usb flash/disk. Also, the performance will be really low, due to the both CPU speed & usb 1.1 bandwidth limitations.

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for your reply. Well, tried it, but sofar not being successfull.

Any suggestion to resolve this kind of problems

Compiling smbd/server.c
    In file included from smbd/server.c:22:
    include/includes.h:636: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
    /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-0.9.19/include/stdio.h:551: previous declaratio
    n of `sys_errlist'
    In file included from smbd/server.c:22:
    include/includes.h:874: conflicting types for `memmove'
    /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-0.9.19/include/string.h:42: previous declaratio
    n of `memmove'
    include/includes.h:878: conflicting types for `initgroups'
    /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-0.9.19/include/grp.h:148: previous declaration
    of `initgroups'
    make: *** [smbd/server.o] Error 1

Samba version?

Seems that the new netgear WGT634 has samba and usb 2.0 built in! So you can access usb-disks from every program.

http://www.netgear.com/products/deta...4U.php?view=hm

Looks cool. Seems it's use broadcom CPU, Linux 2.4.20 (at offset 0x6894 of firmware) and jffs2 as rootfs (at 0x140000).

Broadcom CPU? The wireless chipset is from atheros, not broadcom! Or is the software cpu and the wireless chip integrated? If broadcom does cpus, they might have combined atheros chipset and broadcom cpu. Though i think not.

Yes, just downloaded pdf from FCC with internal fotos. So, the radio is from atheros, the CPU is broadcom BCM5364PKPB and seems it has switch and phys integrated into it, 2 dram chips and the flash chip from NEC.
    And yes, it runs linux 2.4.20 with apps compiled against the same uclibc as others. The root file system is jffs2 and has packed tools from http://leaf-project.org.

The samba config follows (personally I think guest account = root is the best thing ever ;-) Samba version is 1.9.16 as seems. They mount usb disk under /share.

[global]
    workgroup = workgroup
    netbios name = WGT634U
    guest account = root
    security = share
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    log level = 1
    max log size = 1
    os level = 0
    encrypt passwords = no
    [share]
    path = /share
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    browseable = Yes
    [samples]
    path = /samples
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    browseable = Yes

Oleg,

I was trying the last 2 version ( samba-2.2.8).
    I could give it a try with the last samba-1.9.18p8 version or the one like the netgear WGT634

Is the soft for the netgear already released? than maybe it is possible to copy/extract it from that box.
    Last edited by erik_bies; 23-03-2004 at 05:57.

Yes, the firmware is available on the Netgear site. As for extracting - yes you can do that.

Hi Oleg,

May I ask how did you find the offset in the netgear img file.
    I'm trying to mount it, but it continues to give errors. I must have the offset of the jffs2 filesystem wrong.

Any suggestion?

BTW. compiling the 1.9.16 version gives similar errors. I don't know how they managed.
    Last edited by erik_bies; 29-03-2004 at 20:49.

Offsets a determined as follows - open the file in hex viewer. find the name piggy - this is compressed linux kernel and a few bytes before there is a gzip magic. One you've extracted the kernel using the dd an decompressed it, compress it again with -9 flag. You will get the compressed kernel size. With hex viewer look at the location after the kernel in the original image. You need to find the magic for fs. If I recall correctly there is a gap filled with 0xff in the netgear firmware and this gap is ends at 0x140000 there jffs2 lies (the first bytes is the jffs2 magic).
    Decompressing jffs2 is not a trivial task. You need to create mrd device in ram (mtdram) copy the contents of jffs2 image to it and then mount it.

Originally posted by justwords
    Seems that the new netgear WGT634 has samba and usb 2.0 built in! So you can access usb-disks from every program.

http://www.netgear.com/products/deta...4U.php?view=hm
    Does anyone know if this unit has accessible serial ports like the WRT54Gv2 or the Asus WL-500G ?

I really want a linux-based router that has USB 2.0 and two serial ports. Anyone know of one ?

-- Rod

The Asus doesn't have USB 2.0, but the serial ports can be added using a USB hub and USB to RS232 converters...

Originally posted by Styno
    The Asus doesn't have USB 2.0, but the serial ports can be added using a USB hub and USB to RS232 converters...
    Do you have details of which USB to RS232 converters the Linux kernel will recognise ? And in particular, will the linux kernel recognised an external modem connected to the USB to RS232 converter?

-- Rod

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast