Thread: Connect 2 premiums wirelessly to join 2 networks.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Connect 2 premiums wirelessly to join 2 networks.

Hi,

I'm playing with this thought. I don't know if it's possible, but here it goes.

A friend of mine who also owns a premium just bought a house near mine.
    Less than 250m away and 'almost' line of sight., now with the right antenna's this distance can be covered, but other forums are for that problem.

Now assuming that we can have a stable link I was thinking about the following, to connect our 2 networks together with the premiums, but I don't know which way to go. Neither of us uses the router functionality of the premium, but run it in an 'client' AP only mode. 'cause we are running seperate routers for our internet connection which leads to a switch where the clients are conneted. (all wired), the premiums are in both cases directly connected to the main router(s)

What I want to do is use each other's shares and use each other's internet connection in case of fall-back/redundancy scenario.

- at the time we both have a 192.168.1.x network, will we have to change this?
    - do I have to / can I create seperate vlan's for this, just to only use the internet connection, but secure the clients in my lan from accessing from clients from my friends lan?
    - What about 'stacking' the 2 internet connections? we both have 24mbit connections but from other (network)providers. (that's why the fall-back)? (this is not a must have, only nice-to-have)
    - how to setup clients? is one gateway enough, or do I have to specify more gateway's (ip addressing?)
    - I suppose this is kind of a bridge mode, but don't know for sure...

I've enclosed a picture of our network(s)
    I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi,

you can use WDS feature enabled to build such wireless bridge.
    Not supported by Olegs yet.

Darius

uhm... 250m do you say?
    I guess that wont work with G, you probably need N for that
    but even than, I don't think the routers are able to brige that distance with obstacles like houses between them even if it's almoast line of sight.
    With G you might get 90m maximum, N is said to take a cover of 150m
    also the wl500w sends more than twice as strong signal with N than it does with G

darius, how do you mean oleg doesnt support this?
    I think it should, after all the wireless part is completely from asus.
    I guess you might need to try first with WEP encryption only (if you get a connection)
    Last edited by wpte; 31-08-2008 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by wpte View Post
    uhm... 250m do you say?
    I guess that wont work with G, you probably need N for that
    but even than, I don't think the routers are able to brige that distance with obstacles like houses between them even if it's almoast line of sight.
    With G you might get 90m maximum, N is said to take a cover of 150m
    also the wl500w sends more than twice as strong signal with N than it does with G

darius, how do you mean oleg doesnt support this?
    I think it should, after all the wireless part is completely from asus.
    I guess you might need to try first with WEP encryption only (if you get a connection)
    wpte, like I said, I'm not going to do this with the standard antenna.
    prob. a yagi or directional antenna outside the house

well, I think best is to bring his premium over and start experimenting with the bridge, before we try to cover the long distance.

But, what about security? can I create a diff. vlan on my and his network, so that only the internet connection / shares are available in my and his network.?

The WDS will work like a bridge no problem here.
    The first and easyest way is to setup second router in the same class different IP, like first 192.168.1.1 and second (lets say yours) 192.168.1.200.
    Then clients in first node will use .1 for gate and DNS, second node will use .200 for gate and DNS.
    This way all will access the shares on both nodes, and in isp fail case they will use the other gate and DNS ease, only change few settings, and no other hardware involved, just what you have allready.
    In the matter of isp balance (i mean use of full bandwith for both nodes by any client) is nothing to do in your case because of limited bandwith between nodes, and other issues.
    In matter of security the clients must have some firewall installed locally.
    But is not clear what you say, first say you need all clients access all shares, second need vlan for protecting your clients to be accessed by second node ...
    Of course there are more elegant way to do the job, but this is first bullet who pass me.

LE : Ofcourse all clients will have settings done manually, no 2 DHCP servers (the routers) in same lan .
    Last edited by poiu; 31-08-2008 at 21:53.

Quote Originally Posted by poiu View Post
    The WDS will work like a bridge no problem here.
    The first and easyest way is to setup second router in the same class different IP, like first 192.168.1.1 and second (lets say yours) 192.168.1.200.
    Then clients in first node will use .1 for gate and DNS, second node will use .200 for gate and DNS.
    This way all will access the shares on both nodes, and in isp fail case they will use the other gate and DNS ease, only change few settings, and no other hardware involved, just what you have allready.
    In the matter of isp balance (i mean use of full bandwith for both nodes by any client) is nothing to do in your case because of limited bandwith between nodes, and other issues.
    In matter of security the clients must have some firewall installed locally.
    But is not clear what you say, first say you need all clients access all shares, second need vlan for protecting your clients to be accessed by second node ...
    Of course there are more elegant way to do the job, but this is first bullet who pass me.

LE : Ofcourse all clients will have settings done manually, no 2 DHCP servers (the routers) in same lan .
    Hi poiu,

Thanks for your comments.
    I needed to clarify this, by accessible shares from both sides I meant the shares on the asus, not shares on the pc's. my pc's may access my other pc's shares, the share on my asus and the share on my friends asus. no shares on pc's on my friends network. My friends pc's may access shares on his other pc's, the shares on his asus and my asus, but not shares on my pc's. this is what I meant. sorry for not fully explaining this.

no prob. in doing al the settings manually on both networks, no dhcp is running.

Thanks all for the insight, I'll bring his asus over and start experimenting,
    More tips and tricks are always welcome.

[QUOTE=poiu;109891]The WDS will work like a bridge no problem here.

Hi,

could you tell me more how WDS does really work in star configuration
    multi-path bridging and more ?
    Can I stack wifi bridges ?
    What configurations are served ?
    Got a lot of info from the net, unfortunately nothing specific to WDS protocol
    in details like WDS HOWITWORKS and how to configure many WDS bridges into one net and nothing about handover access in mobile WDS.

Please tell me more and refer to nice places.
    By a chance I got the idea WDS is supported by Olegs.
    No manual how to configure to build WDS based network.

Darius