Thread: USB flash disk (failure)

Unhappy USB flash disk (failure)

hi

for more then 1 year i had oleg firmware working on WL500gP ver1;I used a 512MB USB flash disk: (~1 month ago upgrade the firmware to latest version -10)

disc_0/part1 => /opt (~300MB) - ipkg files
    disc_0/part2 => swap (200 MB)
    (and used notebok HDD as disc_1/part1 => /opt/ext2 used for torrent, ftp server)

In the last 2 weeks, with router working as always non stop, rtorrent, vsftpd server always up and connections live, i noticed that strangely my settings are lost.

I tried several times to redo everything, but i see now that randomly, after some restarts, i loose settings of my /opt/ directory.
    Today i've lost my flash setting when doing the regular savereboot procedure (flashfs save, commit, ...); i have an alias for that, so i can't be wrong with typing.

Strangely, i always see that i loose users info and group info (i run vsftpd with 5 users, different level access) and even though i (re)create the users and the group, after some restarts everything gets lost and the respective folders on my USB-HDD change their owners

I know that USB flash disk is not recommended, it might be possible that the life of my flash drive arrived at the end ?
    (when i connect the usb flash to my XP machine, through software i am able to access it, read write and everything reamains there !?)

You need firmware version 1.9.2.7-9, -10 aint supported on WL500gP ver1.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by engy View Post
    My bad, missread the info on Olegs site, thinking the whole wl500g series was unsupported from -10. But it was only the wl500g itself, sorry! >.>
    Last edited by glenn; 20-08-2008 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by bigphantom View Post
    I know that USB flash disk is not recommended, it might be possible that the life of my flash drive arrived at the end ?
    (when i connect the usb flash to my XP machine, through software i am able to access it, read write and everything reamains there !?)
    Hi, yep, your flash disk is at it's end.. especially when you use the swap file (which does heavy read/write) on the flash disk, they tend to malfunction.

However, when you connect it to the pc, I don't think all is there.
    Because, bitwise, if everything (all bits) would be there, the device wouldn't give any problems on the asus. Because it has problems now with reading/writing, it doesn't get the data it expected.

But, your data might be safe.
    As you have multiple partitions, only the part where the swap file 'sits' is heavily used.. the data (partition) part is not written as much as the swap part, so it might well be that your data is safe, but don't take it for granted.

HTH