Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kismet doesn't work on 1.9.2.7 ?

kismet or airsnort??

hi,

is it possible to built in kismet or airsnort to the 1.7.5.6 firmware.

Thanx

i believe there is already a kismet that should be able to work on the WL500g, if i'm right you can find it at the official Kismet homepage.. (note: it's marked for use with the WRT54g, so i'm not sure if it really works)

Well, Kismet (kismet-feb.04.01-wrt54.tar.gz) was reported (by jaha2x) working on ASUS WL-500 yet. It was just necessary to change some things in kismet.conf (configdir path to something like /tmp/.kismet and user name to admin). The IP address of Kismet client needs to be enabled.
    BTW there is a newer Kismet version available at the moment (see http://www.kismetwireless.net/code/ ).
    Last edited by Technik; 18-04-2004 at 22:31.

Howto use usb, busybox and kismet ?

Hi,

i'd like to use busy box on my WL-500g and also kismet.

How do i use them on the router ?

(format the usb in win2k ?, copy the file busybox and kismet to the usb storage ? login ssh and run them ?)

I'd also like to edit some scripts, and i guess busybox has and editor (vi?) but how do i save them permanently in the flash ?

Thanks
    Pete

Re: Howto use usb, busybox and kismet ?

Originally posted by peteredhair
    i'd like to use busy box on my WL-500g and also kismet.
    Busybox is allready on it. For Kismet there is allready another thread on this forum (I believe you can just copy it and run it).
    How do i use them on the router ?
    Do a search on this forum, there are plenty of topics about this.
    (format the usb in win2k ?, copy the file busybox and kismet to the usb storage ? login ssh and run them ?)?
    Windows 2k/XP can only create 32Gb FAT32 partitions and virtually unlimited NTFS partitions. Note: NTFS partitions are read-only on Linux systems. Use Ranesh Partition Manager for larger FAT32 partions. There have been some topics about it here as well.
    I'd also like to edit some scripts, and i guess busybox has and editor (vi?) but how do i save them permanently in the flash ?
    For editing scripts you can set the nvram parameters or compile your own firmware. Do a search on the forum for this and the use of vi. This all has been mentioned before.

Originally posted by Styno
    Busybox is allready on it. For Kismet there is allready another thread on this forum (I believe you can just copy it and run it).
    Read an old thread where it said to copy to usb storage:
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?s=...hlight=busybox

Tried busybox and it's fine and really helpfull.

For editing scripts you can set the nvram parameters or compile your own firmware. Do a search on the forum for this and the use of vi.
    One problem with vi though.
    I've tried to edit a script and whenever i tried to edit something, like doing a :a or :i, ou :P, i always get the message "function not implemented, meaning i don't remember the commands for vi.

I've searched the busybox site and don't have any ref for vi, the several other (many) cmd ref i've found have commands that busybox vi say "not implemented".
    Can you point me a ref ?

This all has been mentioned before.
    yeah you're right but being a newbie it's harder to know what to look for.
    This is my first time using linux on a router and using wlan.

Some tools (like busybox, wlanutil and wl) i didn't know what it was till i came here so i'm getting started on this.

One final question.
    On ddnsclient script there's a line to obtain the ip address of the ddns server which is like this:
    SVRIP=`wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org`

however running wlanutil nslookup any.server.com doesn't return anything (only a new line), is this supposed to be like this ? am i running the command incorrectly ? (i'm running this: wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org)

Sorry for the basic questions and thanks for your help.

Pete

Originally posted by peteredhair
    One problem with vi though.
    I've tried to edit a script and whenever i tried to edit something, like doing a :a or :i, ou :P, i always get the message "function not implemented, meaning i don't remember the commands for vi.
    The firmware contains 'default' scripts which have placeholders for dynamic data. These 'default' scripts generate the actual scripts used by the running software during startup. The default scripts are not editable while on the router (the FLASH filesystem is read-only). They can only be changed by editing them on a normal pc running Linux and then compiled into the firmware which has to uploaded to the router. The only thing you can change on the router are the nvram parameters of the script. Most of them are changable using the webinterface. During boot the placeholders in the 'default' scripts are replaced by nvram parameters.

If you edit the resulting scripts, used by the applications, the changes are discarde by the next reboot of the router.

I've searched the busybox site and don't have any ref for vi, the several other (many) cmd ref i've found have commands that busybox vi say "not implemented".
    Can you point me a ref ?
    I'm not too familliar with vi either, but I believe the commands :a, :i and such are right.
    yeah you're right but being a newbie it's harder to know what to look for.
    This is my first time using linux on a router and using wlan.
    k

RE:

Thankx,

Just quickly tested - kismet-2004-04-R1-wrt54 (kismet_server) seemed working fine on WL-500g (1.7.5.6-2.1). Did not test the Kismet client yet. The server produces a VERY nice output so I can recommend to try it...

how to install kismet

pls advice in details how to install kismet server to wl-500g

ARGH.. forget this mail... I leave it if someone else makes same mistake.
    The config file got somehow DOS formatted (by FTP transfer is asci ), and kismet had a problem with it.... anyway, DOX2UNIX did miracles

Does anyone have it sucessfully running from a USB stick drive?

I can run it from HD (whole drive read-writable), but when I try running it from memory stick, it fails with this message:
    /mnt/usbfs/kismet-2004-04-r1-wrt54 # ./kismet_server
    Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
    /kismet_server.pid, couldn't open for writing: No such file or directory/mnt/usbfs/kismet-2004-04-r1-wrt54 #
    From the error it looks like it tries to write the pid file to the root dir which is read-only. but the pid dir is normally configured in the config file to /var/run/

If you have maybe you can provide a working config file.

I changed the following parts of the config file:
    # User to setid to (should be your normal user)
    suiduser=admin

# Sources are defined as:
    # source=cardtype,interface,name[,initialchannel]
    # Card types and required drivers are listed in the README.
    # The initial channel is optional, if hopping is not enabled it can be used
    # to set the channel the interface listens on.
    source=wrt54g,eth2,wrt54gsource

# Where do we store the pid file of the server?
    piddir=/var/run/

# Where state info, etc, is stored. You shouldnt ever need to change this.
    # This is a directory.
    configdir=/tmp/.kismet/
    and created the /tmp/.kismet dir, and stored the configs in /tmp/etc
    Last edited by erik_bies; 18-07-2004 at 00:14.

Kismet where to install?

Where can I install kismet on wl500g ?
    Which folder?
    I installed it on /tmp but it is lost now. Where is space for it or will I need to have some usb stick or usb hd to store it?

And some bad thing, kismet did run, but I saw no other network and I have a AP running which kismet can hear for shure. I saw no info from kismet about htis network.
    when I check with client mode (wl ap 0, wl scan, wl scanresults) I see the network very strong.

ALBI...

Quote Originally Posted by albi
    Where can I install kismet on wl500g ?
    Which folder?
    I installed it on /tmp but it is lost now. Where is space for it or will I need to have some usb stick or usb hd to store it?

And some bad thing, kismet did run, but I saw no other network and I have a AP running which kismet can hear for shure. I saw no info from kismet about htis network.
    when I check with client mode (wl ap 0, wl scan, wl scanresults) I see the network very strong.

ALBI...
    install it on your usbdisk/key whatever
    /tmp = temporarily which means it will be destroyed at boot

also this is a server side app so it means you have to use a client with it, you can use kismet at your normal pc running linux

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Smile a question

1.)

can someone send me compiled and working version of kismet with tiny how-to install ?

please help me im newbie in these area and also i dont understand WHERE and HOW to compile kismet into asus firmware

or can someone send me newest firmware with kismet inside ?

2.)

is possible to bridge all interfaces together and also set on WIRELESS to CLIENT MODE ?! -

of course i need to know WHY IS IT NOT WORKING !!

THANKS @ ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    install it on your usbdisk/key whatever
    /tmp = temporarily which means it will be destroyed at boot

also this is a server side app so it means you have to use a client with it, you can use kismet at your normal pc running linux
    Yes, is there anywhere 1,5 MB space on wl500g which will not be destroyed at boot? If not, I will have to look for some usb/hd solution, thats no problem, I just like to know. I checked with df, but this shows me only:
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 2944 2944 0 100% /
    Which does not really tell much

I did install on my linux computer kismet client and connected to wl500g server, which worked fine. But I saw nothing happen. OK, I need to check this again.

ALBI...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast