Thread: Router Recogntion

Router Recogntion

Having all types of problems with my ASUS router. Bascially, have owned over a year in which it worked fine. I did a windowsXP update about two weeks ago and now I cannot get the desktop to recognize the router. I haver done everything (i.e., checking network connections) in which it indicates that it is connected. However, still cannot access the internet through the router. I have no problems when I hook laptops up to it to access the internet, only the desktop computer. If anyone has had similar issues, please advise how you fixed it. I did have some issues when I first put the router into service; basically getting the desktop to acknowledge it. All of sudden, it just did, but now, appears taht I am having that problem again.

If other computers are running fine then the router is unlikely to be the issue. Since you mentioned that windows had run some updates then please answer these questions.

Which security software are you running?

Check Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs. Make sure that Show Updates is checked. Look through the list and check for a windows update that has KB951748 listed in there. Is it there?

If you are running Zone Alarm (any product) and have this update installed then do one of the following.

Disable ZoneAlarm
    Reduce security to Medium in ZoneAlarm
    Remove the security update.

Once that is done then update ZoneAlarm to resolve the issue.

Source: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

Note that some machines have other security software and it still breaks so remove the update anyways and see if it resolves it. If it does then get with your security software vendor and see if there was an update released to resolve the conflict.
    WL500g Premium R1.14 with 128MB mod and serial port mod
    Oleg 1.9.2.7-10 - Lighttpd w/ PHP using eAccelerator - multi-user ready - dropbear secured setup

Thanks!

I utilize zone alarm for firewall, norton for virus and anonymizer for surfing. I will check to see if shutting zone alarm down will work.

Thanks for your assistance.

shinji257

Thanks for your help; I do appreciate it. The fix worked!

Glad that worked.
    WL500g Premium R1.14 with 128MB mod and serial port mod
    Oleg 1.9.2.7-10 - Lighttpd w/ PHP using eAccelerator - multi-user ready - dropbear secured setup