Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Features or stability???

Yes, yes. I was able to follow it until I got to the "failed, test 1.9.2.7-4a-pre13" because I misinterpreted it and subsequently began to see everything in a messed up way. Doesn't really matter. Unimportant. But you must admit, it could get confusing (I had read this thread from its start but noticed the mention of printer problems, etc..).

ok, guys. I've -pre14 ready for testing. I've completely reworked wl500g WAN port dies workaround, so it should not crash anymore. At the moment I need someone with "WAN ports dying" problem (which is fixed by 1.8.2.4/1.9.2.7) to test this. Thanks to Antiloop I've performed some testing on his equipment and it works fine.
    P.S. If you do not have this problem for sure, then don't bother testing it.

Oleg surrendered to tomilius **joke **

this pre14 are ONLY FOR TEST.

Copy of Antiloop message

WARNING: PRE VERSION
    TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

DO NOT UPGRADE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
    DOWNGRADE IS NOT EASILY POSSIBLE!!
    Home Page
    Marco Sousa from PORTUGAL
    [ WL-500g - fw: 1.9.2.7-7e [Oleg] | WL-500gP - fw: 1.9.2.7-7f-USB-1.63 [Oleg&koppel.cz] ]

Start with pre14 test....

Today I´ve tried pre13 - no success. It is not stable with heavy mediaserver / noxon streams. With the same traffic 1.8.x was stable for weeks. So I´m going to test pre14 right now - I´ll report tomorrow about it....

ciao,
    JBK

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Oleg surrendered to tomilius **joke **
    Hehe . Nice. Now if only there was a section (with a bunch of warnings) where prereleases could be available to everyone... [you feel yourself surrendering ]

pre14 running great since 36 hours with heavy traffic.... Great Work!

Start with pre14 test....
    Today I´ve tried pre13 - no success. It is not stable with heavy mediaserver / noxon streams. With the same traffic 1.8.x was stable for weeks. So I´m going to test pre14 right now - I´ll report tomorrow about it....

ciao,
    JBK
    Last edited by jbkerner; 05-05-2005 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by tomilius
    Hehe . Nice. Now if only there was a section (with a bunch of warnings) where prereleases could be available to everyone... [you feel yourself surrendering ]
    it has no use

prereleases are used to fix specific problems which are mostly occuring to a few users, or a few users who can reproduce it

and it would mean when pre-releases where free for download everyone would install them and we get the Questions which we don't want

and at last, it would cause too much unneeded traffic for Oleg

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    it has no use

prereleases are used to fix specific problems which are mostly occuring to a few users, or a few users who can reproduce it

and it would mean when pre-releases where free for download everyone would install them and we get the Questions which we don't want

and at last, it would cause too much unneeded traffic for Oleg
    yes, exactly.

btw, -pre14 uses wireless module from the 1.9.3.6 and above.

Well, I was thinking that maybe you should just ban anyone who asks questions about the prereleases, and the warnings would mention that they are just that--prereleases--and should not be, uh questioned.

Anyway, I have some of the drivers from 1.9.4.0 in my modded firmware, along with several useful iptables patches (iplimit, recent, string, TARPIT)... I'd like to see that stuff in a new firmware but no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tomilius
    Well, I was thinking that maybe you should just ban anyone who asks questions about the prereleases, and the warnings would mention that they are just that--prereleases--and should not be, uh questioned.

Anyway, I have some of the drivers from 1.9.4.0 in my modded firmware, along with several useful iptables patches (iplimit, recent, string, TARPIT)... I'd like to see that stuff in a new firmware but no big deal.
    ghe lol anyway no, users won't get that.. there are still users who ask why a beta from asus does not contain telnet interface....

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

This would only add about 2-3 stupid comments a day at the most I'd imagine , but that's just my guess.

OK, OK. It might be a nice, friendly idea to create a folder (probably not listable) where prereleases are put and then linked to in threads designed to solve the problem ONLY. But.... it doesn't matter that much, I guess.

You know, something like:

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE, AT YOUR OWN RISK YOU MAY TRY THIS PRERELEASE, BUT UNDER NO OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU DOWNLOAD IT. NO PERSONAL MESSAGES OR RECKLESS COMPLAINTS UNRELATED TO THE ISSUE MEANT TO BE SOLVED WILL BE ACCEPTED!!! PLEASE TURN AWAY IF YOU'RE A NEWBIE; THE LATEST STABLE FIRMWARE IS AVAILABLE HERE.

I don't know. It doesn't really affect me personally and probably doesn't affect many/any others either, so... no big deal.
    Last edited by tomilius; 04-05-2005 at 19:07.

tomilius, if you've patches - send them to me.

I didn't make any patches, I just used patch-o-matic (see PM). I do hope the new iptables features I've mentioned in the PM can be put into new versions of firmware because they're nice.

As for iptables 1.3.1 (completely unrelated to this discussion), I actually got it working once (fairly easily). libipt_autofw.c needed to be upgraded (I just looked at the other c files and compared to see how), but stuff seemed to work. However, I believe that with the latest patch-o-matic-ng patches and 1.3.1, the router endlessly reboots (with only a split second to connect to http or telnet). I'm not sure which one did it, but it was probably connlimit or something (maybe my bad conversion of "recent"). My experience is too limited to work on that anymore; it would take forever to figure it out, and I already tried a bunch.

Finally, I think that this thread should be closed. New 1.9.2.7-5 firmware should fix this issue forever.

int, thank you very much for performing number of annoying tests and figuring out which firmwares works and which does not. Without your help, this issue probably would never be fixed.

Hope ASUS guys will fix their buggy et driver as well, so other users, which are preffering stock firmwares would be also happy.

Thanks,
    Oleg.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast