Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DDNS Client Problem

Ddns

I 'm trying to use the DDNS features, but it seems it works properly after each times reset, I need to do it manually to update the IP address, instead of update automatically.

The old DDNS problem and custom DNS

Sorry to get back to this subject, but i've trying to solve this thing about DDNS client not updating my ip.

I thought i had it solved but it's not.

However i made a new discovey.

Whenever the DHCP lease is refreshed and i get a new IP address the IP on DynDNS isn't updated, but,...., if on DynDNS config panel i set my domain offline, apply, and set it online again, the IP address is refreshed and the new IP is the current one.

I gess the problem is with the fact that i have a custom dns and in the ddnsclient script there's a "&system=dyndns" right at the beginning.

There's nothing logged, not even a info or warning.
    Can't see any messages regarding the DDNS client, not a single one.

Do you know if the ddnsclient updates the IP as soon as the IP from the wan changes (dhcp get's a new IP) or is it just a "cron" job that runs from time to time, how much sleep time ?

I've been digging in the script and although i don't see much of scripting i'm willing to try to fix this, but i need your help.

Would you help me on this problem ?
    I really need the custom DynDNS.

Thanks again for you help
    Pete
    Last edited by peteredhair; 19-04-2004 at 03:40.

Unhappy

Made some changes that i don't know if will work.

I'd like to be abble to test them, can someone help me do it ?

How can i upload the changed scripts and pages to the router ?

I attached the change files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've been doing more tests and here's what i came up with:

Tested this update url and it worked fine:

http://test:test@members.dyndns.org/...OFF&offline=NO

On my router, tried this without success:

wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org

returns a newline wether the domain is members.dyndns.org or anything else.

Any hints ?

Thanks
    Pete

Adding other ddns servers

Is it possible to add other dynamic dns servers to the router?
    If so I think that www.no-ip.com should be added as it is free...
    Anyway, great work you're doing on the firmware!

Pete,

here the same basic problem:
    wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org gives nothing instead of an IP

For me the resolution was to hardcode the IP in the ddnsclient script

So I replaced
    SVRIP=`wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org`
    #SVRIP="members.dyndns.org"

with
    #SVRIP=`wlanutil nslookup members.dyndns.org`
    SVRIP="63.208.196.94"

A second problem on my side is that my provider does not allow traffic on port 80 (only via proxy server), hence I had to recompile the ddns program to use alternative port 8245 instead of 80

DDNS (dyndns), Hostname About to Expire / Hostname Expired

Hi,

I am using ddns and got the following message from dyndns.org:

A hostname you have registered with Dynamic Network Services at DynDNS.org, X.X.X, with current IP address X.X.X.X, will expire in the next 5 days. This expiration is due to an automatic timeout; your host has not been updated for 30 days, and hosts are removed after not being updated for 35 days. This is our policy to prevent a stagnant DNS system. Users with static IP addresses can use the Static DNS system, which does not have this timeout.

You can "touch" your hostname and prevent it from being deleted simply by performing a manual, or forced, update. The system will not consider this single update abusive. If you wish to allow your hostname to expire, simply do nothing. You will receive a notification when this occurs.

Used Oleg wl500g-1.7.5.6-4, but now upgraded to wl500g-1.7.5.6-5 .

In this case my ISP has not changed my IP address during the last month, so no update was apparently sent to dyndns and I did not do a manual (”touch”) update! Anyone else with the same experience? Does anyone know a fix?

Regards,
    FIB

update it manually via web.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to automate the updating, this was actual what I mend by “a fix”?

Anyway
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FIB
    Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to automate the updating, this was actual what I mend by “a fix”?

Anyway
    Thanks
    maybe you could write a script which calls dns update every X days

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by FIB
    Hi,

Thanks for the tip.

Anyway
    Thanks
    Maybe you can use the programs wich can be downloaded at http://www.dyndns.org/support/clients.html

I use the FTP-client (and soon a web-site) build-in the WL500g, so I perfere the DDNS client in the WL500g.

I will take a look on the /init/ddnsclient - when I get some spare time. I am open for suggestions

Question How does the ddns binary work?

I have searched the forum x times for a topic about Dynamic DNS update. I know there is a page for this in the web-interface, but this page is disabled when i am running my wl-500g's in AP mode (WDS bridging). Still i have tried to use the web-interface but that don't seem to work when it is "disabled". Then my problem is; i don't quite understand how the ddns binary works, and how i can config it manualy.

If i try to run ddns-start nothing happends, if i try to run update-ddns nothing happends, not even a line in the syslog(nothing ever gets printed in syslog? i just ran syslogd, have i started it properly?). All the other commands in /sbin that is symlinks to "rc" won't do nothing either. The busybox symlinks do work as they should though.

Is there any documentation on how this "rc" thingy works? Or is it possible to get a "newbie" tutorial on how to set up ddns?

It would be highly appreciated.

There is no sense in runing ddns in the AP mode, because wl500g does not know the real IP address to be registered with the dynamic dns provider.

DDNS with Static IP and Router in Front of wl500g

hi guys,

just found out that, dyndns only knows the internal ip of the wl500g. because of its (the wl500g) connected after a sdsl router with static ip. so it only shows 192.168.1.16(DMZ) and not the public ip. the netopia sdsl router received every day a new public ip. is there a chance to get it working?!
    Athlon XP 2200+ runnig on ECS K7S5A
    512 MB DDR
    160 GB Samsung
    Ati Radeon 9500
    System running under Yoper.v2
    Router: WL500g

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast