Thread: Firmware with .trx extension rejected by wl-500b

Firmware with .trx extension rejected by wl-500b

Hi everybody!

I have this weird problem with my wl-500b wlan router. I can't get it to accept .trx files for upload!

When I try through the web interface the upload seems to work but when the file is uploaded I get the message "Upload abort! Image file is wrong".

Next up was "firmware restoration". I put my wl-500b in rescue mode and used the restoration tool to upload my firmware.

The first thing I notice is that the file explorer of this tool only shows .img files. I can however select .trx files by selecting "all files" from the drop-down menu.

When I do select a .trx file, the tool shows the following error: "Header crc-32 error". It won't let me upload this file extension.

On the cd that came with my wl-500b I found the original firmware version in .img format. Just out of curiosity I tried to upload it and guess what... it gets accepted!

Am I missing something here? Is there a way to update my wl-500b with new firmware or am I stranded?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greets,

Jay Jay

PS: The firmware I tried to use:
    unofficial
    http://wl500g.dyndns.org/1.9.2.7-3/W...1.9.2.7-3a.trx
    http://wl500g.dyndns.org/1.9.2.7-3/W...1.9.2.7-3a.trx
    official
    http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/wirel...L500bv2_EN.zip

As seems you have wl-500 router, which is different from wl-500b, wl-500g and friends. It's old and unsupported.

Okay I see...

Thanks for the quick response!

You say it's unsupported, but do you know of any unofficial firmware versions for this wl-500?

Or is there a way to convert .trx files to .img files? (just dreaming out loud :-)

I've no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay
    Okay I see...

Thanks for the quick response!

You say it's unsupported, but do you know of any unofficial firmware versions for this wl-500?

Or is there a way to convert .trx files to .img files? (just dreaming out loud :-)
    Now you know you have a WL-500 you might want to check the Asus website for the latest firmware.

The firmwares for WL-500b, g and gx will most likely not work on your router, so there's no need in converting the trx files.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Now you know you have a WL-500 you might want to check the Asus website for the latest firmware.
    Jep, I had the same idea so I checked their site immediately. Unfortunately it seems that there was only a minor update after the original firmware. I'll try it out this evening anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    The firmwares for WL-500b, g and gx will most likely not work on your router, so there's no need in converting the trx files.
    Dang, that's too bad. Oh well, I'll have to buy a new wlan router anyway some time this year. My provider is planning on boosting download speed to 51 mbps (theoretically that is :-). I'm stuck with 11 mbps now :-/

Anyone can give me a hint for a good wlan router set?

Thanks for the replies guys!

WL-500g or WL-500gx ofcourse