I want to get a wireless router with a USB port which can run open source firmware. The WL-500G premium meets my requirements at a reasonable price.
I recently saw that the WL-500W isn't much more expensive, and my laptop has a Dell 1500 pre-n card. It seems like I should get the WL-500W, but I have some concerns and I can't say I require the extra speed.
- There's a lot less info on it than the WL-500G.
- The various open source firmwares just recently added support, so there could be problems.
- I'm not sure if any open source firmwares support pre-n and I'm not sure if there are plans to add that support
- 802.11n draft 2 is now out and WL-500W isn't listed as supporting it
- The antennas aren't removable. I wonder, if WL-500G premium with an improved antenna would offer better range than a WL-500W
As for firmware, I've read in several places that the Asus firmware sucks. What's the best replacement firmware for WL-500W?