Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cross compiling with the toolchain

Ok so transmissiond has more features. I didn't know that. I can just exclude transmissiond in the makefile so build doesn't break.

oleo
    As I know, Oleg also has plans to migrate to new toolchain, but he is on vacation now.

I builded new toolchain based on OpenWRT development trunk 2008-06-14 (gcc 3.4.6, uClibc 0.9.29, binutils 2.17) under SuSe 10.1. Only a few extra patches needed for toolchain itself, but firmware also has to be patched due to gcc upgrade.
    If you want to take a look to my patches - drop me a line.

One thing I'll mention is that I installed the new toolchain from nslu2-linux.org fine on 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 once the above mentioned binutils configure script patch was applied. The resulting ipkg file installed correctly and the binaries ran although the end result wasn't what I had expected. Just a fyi. I was trying to build nfs-utils if I can however I think the whole thing needs the kernel to be updated to support the function. Otherwise the binaries worked without segfaulting.

My second attempt was on the cygwin platform so that I may simply work on my project on both systems but I'll need to solve the error on the gcc side if I want it to work.

@lly: GCC version is 4.1 so I don't know what you mean that it has to be updated to support the new version. All gcc versions are binary compatible with each other.

EDIT: Oh. I just realized what you were talking about. You updated the firmware build toolkit. That was different from what my goal was. I am just trying to build ipkg files and not necessarily the firmware.
    Last edited by shinji257; 03-07-2008 at 18:55.
    WL500g Premium R1.14 with 128MB mod and serial port mod
    Oleg 1.9.2.7-10 - Lighttpd w/ PHP using eAccelerator - multi-user ready - dropbear secured setup

Quote Originally Posted by lly View Post
    oleo
    As I know, Oleg also has plans to migrate to new toolchain, but he is on vacation now.

I builded new toolchain based on OpenWRT development trunk 2008-06-14 (gcc 3.4.6, uClibc 0.9.29, binutils 2.17) under SuSe 10.1. Only a few extra patches needed for toolchain itself, but firmware also has to be patched due to gcc upgrade.
    If you want to take a look to my patches - drop me a line.
    So let see what you have had in mind. Oleg is using mine toolchain. This toolchain crates packages with uClibc independent of system libc!
    If you meant that Oleg will upgrade its toolchain for fimware and system uclibc to 0.9.29 then this is good news. But again I am looking to upgrade of mine toolchain what will again bi independent of system uClibc. This way ddwrt and other brcm24 platforms can run without library clash!

I have fixed makeinfo check bug in binutils http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/8980

Thank you. Now toolchain can be built on newer systems.

Yes. Now I don't need to apply the patch midway when the compile breaks. It will "just work" now.
    Oleg 1.9.2.7-10 - Lighttpd w/ PHP using eAccelerator - multi-user ready - dropbear secured setup

Quote Originally Posted by oleo View Post
    Thank you. Now toolchain can be built on newer systems.
    Yes. I'm using Suse 11.0 and Fedora 8. Some packages depends on concrete version (1.9) of aclocal and automake. I will fix it soon.

The challenge to upgrade toolchain and uClibc to newer version is still open.
    I can help with explanation of pathches bot have no time to spend on on upgrade.

There is also pending branch http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/...clibc-unstable
    which introduced LJSJ in config that solves C++ exceptions problem on mipsel arch. Besides upgrade of course.

Quote Originally Posted by engy View Post
    I have fixed makeinfo check bug in binutils http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/changeset/8980
    Yay! The last time I built I was able to do the build from ground zero without stopping this time. Ubuntu 8.04 x86

I know the last post is quite long ago, but i hope someone can remember the discussed problem.

I have compiled the ximeta binary (version 1.1-20) in order to use them in combination with an avm fritzbox. I succeeded in compiling, loading modules, starting ndasadmin and registering my device, as PB_LIST did. I get an slot number, but enabling with these slot number fails. The router (fritzbox) stops working and reboot after one or two minutes of inactivity. I think it's the same behaviour PB_LIST has described some in his last post.
    I want to know, if anybody has managed to enable an NDAS-drive successful on an router ?
    I would be grateful for any support, you can give me.

Compiling libmemcache in cross-compile

I am using the cross-compile environment from nslu2-linux.org. The toolchain built fine and most packages do so as well however libmemcache fails to do so at all.

It gets up to a certain point then fails complaining about either libtool or thinking the parameters given are commands.

My OS is Ubuntu 8.10 beta. It is using libtool version 2.2.4. Any ideas?

Here is the error code. I can't seem to find a fix for this.
    Code:
    shinji@shinji-laptop:~/optware/oleg$ make libmemcache
    rm -f /home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/.built
    make -C /home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache'
    make  all-recursive
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache'
    Making all in doc
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/doc'
    make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/doc'
    Making all in include
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/include'
    Making all in memcache
    make[4]: Entering directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/include/memcache'
    make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/include/memcache'
    make[4]: Entering directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/include'
    make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/include'
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/include'
    Making all in src
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/src'
    if /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile /home/shinji/optware/oleg/toolchain/mipsel-linux-uclibc/gcc-4.1.1-uclibc-0.9.28/bin/mipsel-linux-uclibc-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include  -O2   -pipe  -I/home/shinji/optware/oleg/staging/opt/include -D__linux  -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -pipe -Wpacked -Wdisabled-optimization -MT memcache.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/memcache.Tpo" -c -o memcache.lo memcache.c; \
    	then mv -f ".deps/memcache.Tpo" ".deps/memcache.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/memcache.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
    ../libtool: line 790: X--tag=CC: command not found
    ../libtool: line 823: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found
    ../libtool: line 790: X--mode=compile: command not found
    ../libtool: line 956: *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.: command not found
    ../libtool: line 957: *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X/home/shinji/optware/oleg/toolchain/mipsel-linux-uclibc/gcc-4.1.1-uclibc-0.9.28/bin/mipsel-linux-uclibc-gcc: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-DHAVE_CONFIG_H: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-I.: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-I.: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-I..: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-I../include: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-O2: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-pipe: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-I/home/shinji/optware/oleg/staging/opt/include: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-D__linux: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-O3: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-std=c99: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-Wall: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-pipe: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-Wpacked: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-Wdisabled-optimization: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-MT: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: Xmemcache.lo: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-MD: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-MP: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-MF: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1100: X.deps/memcache.Tpo: No such file or directory
    ../libtool: line 1100: X-c: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1151: Xmemcache.lo: command not found
    ../libtool: line 1156: libtool: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `': command not found
    make[3]: *** [memcache.lo] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/src'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache'
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache'
    make: *** [/home/shinji/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/.built] Error 2

usually it helps if an older version of tool is installed.

Yea. I figured that out after a while. Unfortunately Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) doesn't have an appropriate version in the repository. I had to downgrade to 8.04 to make it all work. I'm "borrowing" some intrepid packages though. I have compiled and created new lighttpd 1.4.20 packages that include all current features. I also did a 1.5 pre-release package. The 1.5.x branch may have a new dependency on glib but I placed it under suggest until I know it will be needed for runtime. The package is marked as experimental but does compile cleanly.

Hi,

I found this link about the problem: http://moc.daper.net/node/352
    Someone mentions that in the generated file /opt/optware/oleg/builds/libmemcache/libtool the $echo variable is not set. When the error occurs you can add a line echo='echo' just after the line ECHO='echo'. If you do a make again libmemcache will compile.

With make lighttpd you will now get another error...
    It cannot find the curses/termcap library when the mysql library is compiled.

Pim.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast