Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: WL-500g Premium died After Upgrading Firmware

I have the feeling, mine is not fixable... I have a static address, netmask is correct, gateway is correct (does not matter anyway), the router is flashing - and the firmware restoration tool does not find the router.

The thing still answers pings, but that's all. Any other ideas? Use some ftp tool from Unix? Any mistakes that I could have made?

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I have the feeling, mine is not fixable... I have a static address, netmask is correct, gateway is correct (does not matter anyway), the router is flashing - and the firmware restoration tool does not find the router.

The thing still answers pings, but that's all. Any other ideas? Use some ftp tool from Unix? Any mistakes that I could have made?
    Ok, no panic. I don't know how and why, but finally it the router was recognized and the upload began. The procedure was like this:

1. Click around cluelessly in those ugly network configuration menus of MS Windows.
    2. Wait until the network setting application crashes and you get an error window (not responding).
    3. Right after the crash, the restoration tool will start the upload automatically.

Maybe it's to be recommended to go back to Linux and use tftp... seems to be easier. All in all I guess I failed in giving Windows a static IP at the right point in time.

Unhappy WL500 bricked

Hi guys,
    I have an Asus WL-500g Premium which I had loaded a couple of months back with DD-WRT to play with, but then set apart because with the settings I had done it became hard to connect to (can't remember what I did!).
    I now pull it off the shelf to reflash it, and when I connect it all I get are 5 orange LEDs on and steady. These are the WAN and all the LAN leds. The power & AIR leds do not light/blink/anything.
    When plugging in power with reset pressed it stays the same.
    I've opened the unit and I THINK I've correctly shorted PIN-9 to ground for aprox 20 secs with power connected, and it still stays the same.
    I've looked through the forums but all the posts regarding birck/dead seem to have one which is not "as dead" as my one seems...
    Is it dead? Any suggestions? How hard should I hit it with a hammer (or would it be best to let my 10 month old son play with it instead?).
    Thanks in advance.

OK, lets give him a try....maybe that your son should use a hammer...lol

Open a command prompt and 'cd' to the directory where you downloaded the firmware (.trx file).
    Type 'tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT yourfirmware.trx' but DO NOT HIT ENTER!
    Unplug the power to the router.
    Hold down the reset/restore button while reconnecting the power. Wait until the power light starts blinking before releasing the reset/restore button.
    Hit enter in your command prompt window (to run 'tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT yourfirmware.trx').
    Wait 15-30 seconds for the image to upload. If you receive a TFTP timeout message start the process over again (from step 3).
    Wait 4-5 minutes and power cycle the router.

But: when your last installed firmware was ddrt, you have to do some other steps (or better: you have to use different files).
    Give me some minutes, I'll come back soon -try it in the meantime.....

Well, here is the guideline in order to allow a flashing of olegs firmware
    (or to give your router a chance.....)
    hopefully it works....

1.) download the file WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7g.zip from http://oleg.wl500g.info/1.9.2.7-7g/ and unzip to a new folder e.g. My Documents, AsusOleg
    and cd to that directory
    2.) download the files below (attached)
    3.) set your network settings of your pc manually to 192.168.1.5
    4.) follow the guideline which I posted before and use wl500g-clear-nvram.trx and wait some minutes
    5.) now follow the guideline again and use wl500g-restore.trx and wait some minutes
    6.) same again and now use the downloaded file WL500gp-1.9.2.7g.trx wait about => 10 minutes

good luck!

Well my account is broken right now, therefore I can not upload the second file wl500-restore.trx
    The file should be available somewhere.... I'll upload it tomorrow (hopefully my account works),
    now its too late here (MEZ)
    But anyhow, here is the first one...http://wl500gp.lima-city.de/tools/

I think you didn't read my post... The power light is off, the LAN/WAN lights are on. When I turn it on with reset/restore pressed, the lights don't change at all.
    If I could get it to blink/whatever normally, then I would follow the regular procedure and put in a .trx in there. It's "stuck" with the leds on as I describe it.
    This is why I need suggestions, because I've TRIED the PIN-9 reset to see if I could get that to work, and that is also the same.

Point taken - anyhow - have you ever tried the failsafe mode?

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/...e/Asus/WL500GP

Do you have a simple RS232 serial converter (MAX232)?
    If yes, connect your PC with your Router and look at the messages.

If nothing helps: last chance is a JTAG cable - but until now I havn't found the right pinout, maybe it's somewhere....
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12053 (is interesting).
    And I guess you know how to find the hariydairyunbrick software.

WL-500g seriously bricked (solved!!)

Hi!
    I have seriously bricked my WL-500g (running dd-wrt 2.3 SP2) by uploading a corrupt config file.

When I turn on the router, the power LED is on continually. There is no radio and DHCP through LAN is not working either.
    I tried resetting the router to fabric defaults: nothing happens.
    I tried going into restore mode (holding the rest button during power on), but that doesn't work either!
    I read the sticky about unbricking the WL-500g Premium and the WL-500g DeLuxe, but I have a WL-500g (standard or call it what you want) which has a different mainboard and a different flash chip.
    Does anybody know anything else I could try? Or is it a goner...
    Thank you VERY much for your help in advance!!!!
    Kindest regards,
    Eric van Loon
    Last edited by evanloon; 21-11-2007 at 15:17. Reason: Solved!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evanloon View Post
    Hi!
    I have seriously bricked my WL-500g (running dd-wrt 2.3 SP2) by uploading a corrupt config file.

When I turn on the router, the power LED is on continually. There is no radio and DHCP through LAN is not working either.
    I tried resetting the router to fabric defaults: nothing happens.
    I tried going into restore mode (holding the rest button during power on), but that doesn't work either!
    I read the sticky about unbricking the WL-500g Premium and the WL-500g DeLuxe, but I have a WL-500g (standard or call it what you want) which has a different mainboard and a different flash chip.
    Does anybody know anything else I could try? Or is it a goner...
    Thank you VERY much for your help in advance!!!!
    Kindest regards,
    Eric van Loon
    i had the same problem in the past, was solved in this way:
    1) install windows/rescue.exe (from the asus wl-500g utils-cd)
    2) put the wl500g in upgrade mode
    3) flash first (using rescue.exe) http://oleg.wl500g.info/wl500g-clear-nvram.trx and then
    4) wl500g in upgrade mode flash with wl500g-recover.trx , afterwards
    5) wl500g in upgrade mode flash with normal firmware

see:
    http://87.239.12.26/~d02042/showthread.php?t=2197
    http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=2197

Quote Originally Posted by jaapjeuk View Post
    i had the same problem in the past, was solved in this way:
    1) install windows/rescue.exe (from the asus wl-500g utils-cd)
    2) put the wl500g in upgrade mode
    Hi Jaap!
    The problem is that I cannot switch to upgrade/restore mode.
    When I press the reset button during powering on the unit, nothing happens. The power LED just stays lit continualy and will not flash...
    Thank you very much fo your reply!
    Kindest regards,
    Eric van Loon

Solved!!!

It's working again!!!!!
    I erased the memory of the wl500g by the good old pin 10 trick.
    Here is how:
    1) Turn off the unit
    2) On the mainboard find the memory chip (M29W320DT)
    3) Find a very small wire and connect pin 10 to ground (e.g. one of the edges of the screw hole)
    3) While grounding pin 10 plug in the power cord. You will need al least three hands here...
    4) The power LED should start flashing slowly now, indicating that the memory is wiped and the device is now in the recovery mode.
    5) Start the normal firmware installation procedure. The reset button is now also working again.
    Thank you all very much for your help!
    Kindest regards,
    Eric van Loon

Thumbs up

you did a good job, eric! but how you knew how to reset the memory?

WL-500gP dead no power led

Hi,

Tis is my first post here but I've been hanging around this and several other WL-500 forums for some time now in search for a solution of my problem.

I have a WL-500gP which I've flashed to DD-WRT shortly after purchase. I've been quite happy with DD-WRT's networking features but since it lacks stable USB support I've decided to flash the unit to Oleg's firmware. I had some trouble with this flash so I decided to use a similar method that worked for the DD-WRT flash. The first (and sadly last) step was to flash with tftp using wl500g-clear-nvram.trx. After waiting a couple of minutes and rebooting (i didn't hold down the reset button - perhaps was this a mistake) the unit was dead. The led lights flash upon power-up and then the power led goes immediately off. The air led stays on but it's very dim (barely noticeable light). The lan indicators work normally. It's like the boot process doesn't happen. Could I have corrupted or erased the bootloader? I haven't been able to renter recovery mode since then. The power led stays off even when power cycling with the reset button pressed. I've also tryed to short pin9 to ground several times as described in some threads. It didn't help.

I have no idea what else to try. Does any one know the cause and/or solution for this problem? I would appreciate any help.

Unhappy WL-500gP bricked - no power LED ever

Hi all!

I've bricked my wl-500gp probably by unplugging the power cord to early during firmware upload (but I'm not sure for this, because I was waiting a few minutes before unplugging). Now I can't get the rescue mode by holding the reset switch and there seems to be no serial output on UART_TX0 nor UART_TX1 (I used a scope). After power on, the four LAN LEDs are lighting up for one or two seconds and then they're going dark. If an ethernet wire is connected, the light is flashing by traffic. The power LED stays dark all the time. Shorting pin 9 or 10 doesn't work. Seems that there is even no CFE loader... :-(

Hope for your help...

Seems to be the same as here: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=11724

My Wl-500GP was died

I upload firmware from 1.9.7.5 to 1.9.7.2 via web interface, the router does not respond for a long time. I refesh the web and nothing happen. After that I still access internet in a few minutes then it come down. The power led blink all the time. The ethenet connection also down. I can not access the router anyway.

How can I do to rescue this router. Please HELP me!!!

Thanks a lot!!!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast