This mod will increase the built in memory from 16MB to 32MB, just to be able run more services on the router, etc. Beware, that this mod requires real strong soldering skills! And usual disclaimer: keep in mind that you do it on
your own risk, its very easy to brick the router completely.
What do you need to perform this mod?
- ong soldering skills and some equipment
- A TSOP86-II packaged SDRAM chip organized as 8Mx32. e.g. IS42S32800B-7TL
There is no easy way to get those chips (and perhaps not cheap), so search the web for the parts (e.g. farnell.com, etc.).
- Disassemble your router now and locate U1 sdram
- I don’t have a appropriate tool to remove U1 sdram without destroying pads or traces on the board. So cutting the pins cautious off is just the way.
- Move the chip back and forth to bend the chip off the pins.
- Remove the pins and clean the pads on the board with your solder. use some “no-clean flux” after that on the pads and coat it with tin.
- Now place the chip carefully on the pads and soldering the pins to it. Check finally for shortcuts!!!
Now you have to let the router boot and do
and you’re done with 32MB!
nvram set sdram_init=0x0C19