Thread: KFurge FW 1.0.7.8-2 and uPnP with PS3

1. KFurge FW 1.0.7.8-2 and uPnP with PS3

Hi guys,

I finally received my WL-700 with 250gb and first thing I did is install Kfurge Fw. Up to know the only thing I did is install nano from Optware repository. All other configuration done through the web interface.

The aim of this post is to understand why I can't use it properly with PS3 as a media server. I can easily connect PS3 by wi-fi and find the media server browsing its content but I receive continuosly error on PS3 saying "DLNA protocol received an error". I can't even start watching any video files (it says format not supported, but the same file works if I put it on a memory stick and plug it to PS3).

Wi-Fi signal is ok (80%), so I think it can't be a problem.

Do you think I have to switch to a different media server like Twonky?
    In case which is the best one for PS3? I don't care weather it is free or not: if it works flawlessy I will be hapy to pay for it!

thanks!

Wink

I don't have a ps3 but I have found twonky to work best with a number of media players and the Xbox360 so it should work with your ps3.

see Mumsoft post on this thread http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7945
    download
    version 5.0 beta as it has transcoding built in.

Happy coding.

Twonky 5.0 beta?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo1007 View Post
    I don't have a ps3 but I have found twonky to work best with a number of media players and the Xbox360 so it should work with your ps3.

see Mumsoft post on this thread http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7945
    download
    version 5.0 beta as it has transcoding built in.

Happy coding.
    Gizmo, this afternoon I have looked at the beta offering of Twonky, but it apears to me there is no version for embedded devices as our Asus is. Maybe I miss something, but I only got a link to rel 4.4.4 rc 3, which I think is a beta for 4.4.4, not 5.0.
    No problem for me though, I'm happy with 4.4.4.

Marc

I tried a million different things to get my router talking to the ps3 very well. It would see it fine but I never got high bitrate movies to stream smoothly. I never installed twonky on the router (I did build it on my mac though) that might very well be the answer.
    for me, I ended up installing medialink on my mac mini behind it, it works like a champ.

just my 2 cents
    ~e

5. ciao guys,

first of all thank you for your kind replies!

@mumsoft and Gizmo:
    this weekend I will try to install twonky: the correct version is still Maxtor [Plus] version?

@Gizmo:
    what is transcoding? does it means it transcode for example video to another format if it is not compatible to the connected device?
    In this case I doubt our Asus box owns the power to do it

@etheric:
    that was a good idea! Macmini costs 499euros now. Unluckly I already bought the WL700, so I want to try to get everything working with it. Also Asus has for sure a lower power consumption which is useful for a 24/7 powered device.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Spinolo View Post
    ciao guys,

first of all thank you for your kind replies!

@mumsoft and Gizmo:
    this weekend I will try to install twonky: the correct version is still Maxtor [Plus] version?
    Sure.

@Gizmo:
    what is transcoding? does it means it transcode for example video to another format if it is not compatible to the connected device?
    In this case I doubt our Asus box owns the power to do it
    Maybe. I had Mt-Daapd running that transcoded my .ogg music to .wav for the sake of my dumb Pinnacle soundbridge. No problem. But I could not pause & resume and missed some other functions. Now I have dismissed them both.
    Here you can see what it can do natively:
    http://www.twonkyvision.com/Products...dia/index.html

@etheric:
    that was a good idea! Macmini costs 499euros now. Unluckly I already bought the WL700, so I want to try to get everything working with it. Also Asus has for sure a lower power consumption which is useful for a 24/7 powered device.
    I have streamed a DVD image (.iso) to my Ziova without a problem wirelessly, but I must admit it did not do that always smoothly. But wired showed no problem at all. Now I must apologize because I don't know much about how high the bitrate is. I do know that my Ziova can't cope with H264 (MPEG4) coded material. It all really depends on your environment.

Regards,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    Now I must apologize because I don't know much about how high the bitrate is.
    A standard DVD A/V stream averages about 11Mbps.

- K.C.