Thread: Connection problems with WL 500g

Connection problems with WL 500g

Hello!
    I have a problem with my WL 500g that really gets on my nerves. When I connect my notebook via WLAN to the router, the connection works perfectly for about 5-10 minutes, but then it crashes completely. I can't even ping the router anymore. After another 2 minutes however, everything works again like it did before. But only for 5 minutes...
    It's the same thing when I copy large files from a remote computer to the notebook's harddrive. The connection breaks after 3-4 minutes and reestablishes after another 2 minutes. Has anyone of you some experience with that problem?

"Debug" information:
    WL-500g firmware: 1.9.2.7
    encryption: WPA2-PSK TKIP
    DHCP-Server: off ('cause I have entered fixed IPs on ecah client)

I have to add that I don't use the standard Windows XP WLan client to connect to WL 500g because it seems that WPA encryption is not fully or correctly supported. So I use some special software for my Wlan adapter by Intel.

Thanks for your efforts!
    Greets,
    Mr. Orange

Switch to WEP only and check if it works for you.

sorry it doesn't work. connection still breaks after a short while.

greets
    Mr. Orange

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Orange
    sorry it doesn't work. connection still breaks after a short while.

greets
    Mr. Orange
    Reinstall wireless drivers (i.e. delete device in the device manager) and try WEP again. Do not switch to WPA after that.

Same problems

Same problems Looks like the wireless router crashes. All application shutdown
    like ftp and webcamera and now I hopes it will work.
    The problems seems also the shared key. If this is set the connections drops
    Use of open shared key works little better.

hm, i have no other devices/services attached to the router. does it really restart? I mean, when my notebook looses connection to the router, my pcs (which are wired to the router) still can access the internet. So there is no full restart of the router, is it?
    I have noticed that as soon as I try to open windows' network neighbourhood the connection crashes.

I followed the advices on the page linked by antiloop, but nothing changed...
    Tried to use another channel, different encryption, I even switched encryption and protection completely off, but still no improvement...

I have had a major success today!
    At least the conection doesn't break anymore. One of the problems was, that I had a DECT cordless phone near the router. That thing seems to have interrupted the router's signal. After pulling the plug, the connection was more stable. Then I experimented with the different encryptions and found WPA/AES as the best solution for my hardware equipment.
    It works really well concerning stability, but has some deficits in speed yet (it's sometimes VERY slow...). Maybe I'll try another encryption method.

By the way: has anyone of you installed WinXP SP2? The wireless wizard is REALLY buggy. It's a shame offering such an unfinished peace of software for download, calling it an "update"

Greets,
    Mr. 0r4ng3

You can also try to set the router wireless channel to 10 or 11, that way DECT and the router might not interfere with each other.