Thread: What do you use your WL-700 for?

1. What do you use your WL-700 for?

while waiting for a new wl-700 (http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13709)
    I am trying to get some informations and ideas on the forum.

So what do you use your WL-700Ge for?

I'm planning to use it as a router (really???), media server (iTunes+PS3) and download manager (MLDonkey with hopefully).

Reading on the forum I see lot of guys take advantages by optware packages, so my question is more addressed to chance given by this stuff.
    Any suggestions about cool things I will be able to do?

Well i'm afraid im not so creative when it comes to my wl700gE. I use it as a NAS of course, i think its pretty nice to have my entire media collection always available

I also use it as a media server through mt-daapd, which serves music for iTunes and a "web player" called FirePlay, so i can access my music when i'm not home

I used to use it for downloads too, but i just felt it was too much a of hassle. MlLDonkey+Sancho just can't compete with uTorrent.

I would want to serve as a uPnP server for my xbox 360 too, through Fuppes, but unfortunately i can't get that to work :x

3. Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    I used to use it for downloads too, but i just felt it was too much a of hassle. MlLDonkey+Sancho just can't compete with uTorrent.
    why are you saying this? what uTorrent has MLDonkey doesn't?

Well first off, MLDonkey dosen't support the DHT network, which means less peers for torrents from "non-private" trackers. You can't specify a priority for the downloads (If you e.g. have 5 torrents running, but you want one of them to be done as fast as possible). You can't choose which files to download from a torrent file, and it is surprisingly troublesome to stop seeding files :-)

And then the router just isn't capable of using all of my 15mbits, and i am not the patient type ;-).

But if you have a slower internet connection, like 2mbits, i could imagine that its worth the hassle, because you can shutdown your computer and let the router download overnight. But often my downloads finish quite fast, and then its just not worth it.

*Update*
    My next project with this thing is remote audio playback. More specifically, make the router play audio files through an USB soundcard, and being able to control the playback from my laptop.
    Last edited by Henrikh; 05-04-2008 at 18:24.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post

*Update*
    My next project with this thing is remote audio playback. More specifically, make the router play audio files through an USB soundcard, and being able to control the playback from my laptop.
    Cool! Keep me informed!