I guess this part is about the most active part of the forums (the WL-500gP).
I have a WL500W tough, but they are almoast the same, only the wireless chipset.
Anyway, I tried out the new firmware and found some good things and mostly BAD things It's not that I don't like what Oleg does, I actually admire his job
I just wanted to make a note of the good things and bad things, ofcourse this topic is also for you to communicate and say what you think about it, if it might have been my mistake or it should be fixed in a way. I mean... without people that use software, the developer(s) don't know what the people want.
- The New FTP server. I never could work with the build in ftp on the 220.127.116.11-8 version for some reason, I defenately missed this option and never brought it back via IPKG (because I just failed every time). It's very good made, more options, but still 1 thing I miss in it, the shared nodes, just like samba and the original asus firmware. Somehow this is just a bit more handy if you want to use a special ftp account for managing your website files by example.
But still... I love the improvement
- Maybe it's just me, but I think my router boots faster with the update firmware
- host name support in the manual ip assing menu. Now I can use host names on my pc much easier.
- WPA-Auto-Personal. I don't really get these new names I mean, these are not common used names, right? And, again (yes I know I mentioned it to you oleg) I had troubles with this setting, the auto setting. Before I used the newer firmware I used WPA2-PSK AES. As far as I know this means you can use both WPA2 and WPA. When I use the auto, I didn't have any troubles at first sight, yeh, everything was working properly with WPA2. Till my sister came around and shouted at me her internet didn't work (she was pretty angry with me... but whatev). I looked at her pc and found out that her WPA only wireless card with zero configuration from windows detected this network as a certificate protected network
I changed it to WPA-Personal, and her laptop worked, except... everything else didn't have any internet anymore
Sorry to say it, but I'm not really into changing all the wireless device settings (quite a lot of devices) when I install a new firmware..
-The build in USB disk detection. I don't have a good word about it to be honest... I deactivated it and used my manual usb disk mod as written in the great how to of wengi. When I first rebooted, I saw several mountpoints extra to the system on the same partition. I know the problem and got it fixed in my post-boot file, but it came back on different points. Also I noticed that like half of my movies and music files are gone!
I don't know how it happened, but I turned the old firmware on again, and fixed the disk, and luckely... I got them back
this are pretty much my experiences with the new firmware.
I all did this upgrading in this procedure:
1. factory defaults
2. upgrade firmware
3. factory defaults
4. enter new settings manually
I made a backup though of the files on the flash memory and settings. I copied the files (for loading in my usb disk etc.) on the new firmware.
So... just wondering, what do you guys think, what are your experiences etc.
or download the last firmware here: