If u are just not so skillgull with soldering than i suggest the 1st method.

Method 1.
Shortcut resistor R17 next to your braodcom wifi mini pci (the shielded thing with the barcode where the antenna connector is)
This increases sensitivity by alot because the receiver (rx amplifier) is not powered at all (its a mystery why). By shortwiring this resistor u alwasy give power to the amplifier , receive sensitivity increases a lot.
To shortwiri it simply use an iron and just cover it with pb. Dont use to much though.
The downside of this method is that the noise gets amplified too, thus u dont have the same performance like method 2.

Method 2.
Open up the wireless broadcom mini pci shield. The small shield with the barcode on it. U will see a cross shield underneath, cut it away just to have more space to work. Its not going to harm anything anyway.
locate and find c93 and c94. U will see that there is a small space next to them, so by unsoldering them u could resolder them again by rotating by 90 degress. Do that and there u go.

I have no responsibility if u damage this thing. Do it by your own risk.

After the mod my link speed almost tripled, with a parabol reflector (u know the paper ones, like windsurfer from techanvil are very good) i could pick up ap from over 5 km.
Overall i measured an increase of up to 4-5 times in sensitivity by using the wl-500 gp as a client.
Also i noticed an dramtic linkspeed increasing when wl was used as a ap.

rammy