Thread: How to restart the router remotely?

How to restart the router remotely?

If I want to restart the router remotely (logging on through SSH wan access), how do I do it?

By issuing "reboot" command?

Thnx,
    D.

Quote Originally Posted by dalanik View Post
    If I want to restart the router remotely (logging on through SSH wan access), how do I do it?

By issuing "reboot" command?

Thnx,
    D.
    Yes, this works OK. I do it all the time. Just remember to do it as root.

- K.C.

If I may, just a couple more questions :-)

I wanted to create custom aliases and such, and in order to do that I need home. So I created home/admin under shares (couldn't do it at root of the drive even as root) and edited passwd file for users admin and root so that home points to shares/home/admin (same dir for both users).

Works fine. Then I made .bash_profile and specified my custom commands there.

Is this "kosher"? Can I expect problems?

One thing that I think that changed since I've done that, is that when I do "sudo bash -l", it doesn't ask me for root password anymore?

I've also given permissions to all (chmod a+w) in .mldonkey folder, so I can access it from windows machine. Any thoughts from experts if this can break something or be a security risk?

Thanx and sorry to bother, but I worked on *nix like 10 years ago and have forgotten everything I knew (it took me like 10 minutes to remember basics of vi) :-)

D.

Aha, after rebooting the router, the folder I created for home at shares/home just dissapeared...

where is it safe to put home dir?

D.

at /opt/home/yourusername

there was it on kc's 1.0.4.6 firmware... and it also works in the new firmware 1.0.7.8...

for the 1.0.4.6 -->

http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html

grat182

Funny, I didn't have the rights to do it at at /opt, even as root...

Quote Originally Posted by dalanik View Post
    Aha, after rebooting the router, the folder I created for home at shares/home just dissapeared...
    Yes... /shares is a ram filesystem and is only there as a place for the router to dynamically mount shares on. As you found out the hard way it does not have any persistence between reboots.

I recommend putting a home directory somewhere on /shares/MYVOLUME1. That's the internal HDD right below the share point. I put mine into /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt/home/kfurge which also makes it appear at /opt/home/kfurge.

If you want to share your home directory with the Asus file sharing utilities, put it somewhere into /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1.

- K.C.