Thread: Differences of firmwares

Differences of firmwares

Hi,

at the moment I'm using FW 2.0.0.7. however, I cannot use torrent for some reason and the WLAN is making problems (clients keep connected, but as soon as I leave the room I cannot access the router (no internet no webgui) but it keeps connected). Anyway I'm a kind of tiered using this version.

Therefore I would like to switch to another firmware. However I don't understand the difference between custom 1.0.7.8 by kfurge and openwrt kamikaze. What are the Pros and cons of each one? Whom do they address?
    Which one do you prefer and why? Are there problems in changing fw from 2.0.0.7? Could anybody tell me something on this issues.

Thanks for your help

antoschka

The differences are pretty dramatic.

My 1.0.7.8 custom firmware is based off the Asus 1.0.7.8 firmware and keeps all of the original web interface components intact while still allowing one to extend the function of the box by installing optware packages. The target audience for this firmware are those with some Linux experience who want the convenience of the web interface for basic configuration but want their box to do more than just what Asus had envisioned.

Openwrt contains no Asus components at all and is true Linux at its finest.

If you want full flexibility and enjoy full-blown Linux in a small environment, install Openwrt. If you generally like what Asus provides and just need the box to do a little more, use the custom 1.0.7.8 firmware.

- K.C.

Hi K.C.

Thanks a lot for your response. Actually I do not want to do a little more than the asus firmware but a little bit more stable So all the functionality should work. At the moment torrents do not work at all. On the other side I do not want to spend all my time with to router configuration.

Is your firmware also improving the stability of the provided functionality?

Is a "downgrade" from 2.0.07 to your firmware possible - i f so, what do I have to take care of?

Thanks in advance for your help

antoschka

Quote Originally Posted by antoschka View Post

Is a "downgrade" from 2.0.07 to your firmware possible - i f so, what do I have to take care of?
    The 1.0.7.8 custom firmware has mldonkey (optional replacement of download manager) which has alot of support available for using it.

When I went from 1.0.4.6 to 1.0.7.8, all my router settings were intact, may be the same experience with going from 2.0.0.7 "down" to 1.0.7.8.

LK

Quote Originally Posted by antoschka View Post
    Hi K.C.

Asus actually improved some of the destabilizing aspects of the 1.0.4.6 release with the 1.0.7.8 release. I've done nothing to this version of the custom firmware to improve stability. I've have 30+ day uptimes with my router and it's pretty busy (i.e. I natively compile programs on it).

The only thing I'm still dissatisfied with is the USB subsystem. It's too flaky. I might see what I can do to upgrade it, but this might be as good as it gets for a 2.4.x kernel.

Regarding the downgrade, I think others have done this, but I never installed 2.x because it was never officially released. It's very unlikely you'll lose any data. You might have to reset the routers settings with the little black reset button, though.

- K.C.

Hi antoschka,

i "downgraded" from 2.0.0.7 to 1.0.7.8 KF .. Worked like a charm if you just do what is written by him on the page or in this forum.
    Where our calculations fail we talk about coincidence.
    Albert Einstein