Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom 1.0.7.8 firmware is ready to download

Hi kfurge,

thx for your hint -I did not manage to do it this way but found another:
    after installing the original firmware all looks fine again.
    Now - of course - I'll install yours again

Best regards and keep the good work up,

Extreme

Performance again

Hi again,

I posted recently regarding issues with very slow printing. Given the lack of response I'm guessing that others aren't having the same problems, so I've started looking some more on my own.

My latest step has been to install the ASUS 1.0.7.8 firmware, thus losing all of the niceties of the KFurge (02) customisations.

Whilst I haven't tested the printing yet, the first thing I've noticed is that the overall performance of the box has improved dramatically. Browsing the internet is far more responsive. I ran the top command (not the nice one that kfurge provided unfortunately), and noted that the available memory was about 3.5MB. top didn't report the process names, which was a pain, so I don't know how much CPU upnp is using.

Will continue looking, though any suggestions are welcome. If printing works OK tonight, I'll put the KFurge version back in without any additional packages to see what happens then.

eznet

Try this

Quote Originally Posted by emailpr View Post
    KFURGE.. I have never been able to add a user thru the web interface using any of your custom firmware.. is it a problem on my router ??

I use the web interface and it allows me to change the setting to user based access.. but then when I click on add user.. it allows me to enter username and password etc.. but when I click on apply.. it always fails and a error box pops up.. Somehow this problem goes away when I use the Asus Firmware..(both 4.6 and 7.8)..

Why could this be happening??
    Maybe you should copy your /opt to /shares/MYVOLUME1/opt, as described here:
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/187

See if that helps.
    I have made and deleted a user yesterday without a problem. It also lets me specify to which shares the new user has access.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by eznet View Post
    Hi again,

I posted recently regarding issues with very slow printing. Given the lack of response I'm guessing that others aren't having the same problems, so I've started looking some more on my own.

My latest step has been to install the ASUS 1.0.7.8 firmware, thus losing all of the niceties of the KFurge (02) customisations.

Whilst I haven't tested the printing yet, the first thing I've noticed is that the overall performance of the box has improved dramatically. Browsing the internet is far more responsive. I ran the top command (not the nice one that kfurge provided unfortunately), and noted that the available memory was about 3.5MB. top didn't report the process names, which was a pain, so I don't know how much CPU upnp is using.

Will continue looking, though any suggestions are welcome. If printing works OK tonight, I'll put the KFurge version back in without any additional packages to see what happens then.

eznet
    Did you have a look here?
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/197

I don't use a printer with the asus, but my the overall performance with the custom firmware is far better than in the 1.0.4.6 times.
    Also I don't have UPNP running. Don't need it.

Marc

KFURGE.. I have never been able to add a user thru the web interface using any of your custom firmware.. is it a problem on my router ??
    Works OK on my router.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by eznet View Post
    Whilst I haven't tested the printing yet, the first thing I've noticed is that the overall performance of the box has improved dramatically. Browsing the internet is far more responsive.
    What happens when you stop upnpd?

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 01-03-2008 at 00:09. Reason: Clarification

Thanks Marc.. I'll test your solution..

No thanks to Kfurge.

i don't think that is the problem Marc.. I had covered that step when I followed the instructions on that website when I upgraded from 1.0.4.8 to 1.0.7.8..
    Like I said.. I've had that problem even when I had the custom 1.0.4.6

i don't think that is the problem Marc.. I had covered that step when I followed the instructions on that website when I upgraded from 1.0.4.8 to 1.0.7.8..
    Like I said.. I've had that problem even when I had the custom 1.0.4.6
    It's weird. But you do have a work-around: install the original Asus firmware, create shares & users like you wish, install the custom firmware. Then you have both, although you won't be able to create another user.
    What exactly is the error message? If I create a user, it tells me something like: user successfully created!.
    Also, if you create a superfluous testuser with the original firmware, are you able to delete it with the custom firmware?
    Do you have similar passwd files as I have:
    [marc@Sneeuwwitje home]$ ls -all /etc/passwd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Dec 31 2001 /etc/passwd -> /tmp/passwd
    [marc@Sneeuwwitje home]$ ls -all /tmp/passwd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Mar 2 13:10 /tmp/passwd -> /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd
    If I create a user, the /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd file is altered, and that is reflected in /tmp/passwd and /etc/passwd that are only links.

Happy debugging
    Marc

hey thanks buddy!.. I think that worked.. I installed the factory firmware.. created the users.. and then I over-wrote it with the custom firmware..and then i was able to manipulate the users.. like add and delete..

Thanks a bunch for your help!!.. regards..

@ Marc

now that I have a username with full access.. when I log in from terminal services.. I can only log in as root.. and not with the username and password that I created... Is that normal???

Talking No thanks....

hey thanks buddy!.. I think that worked.. I installed the factory firmware.. created the users.. and then I over-wrote it with the custom firmware..and then i was able to manipulate the users.. like add and delete..

Thanks a bunch for your help!!.. regards..
    Ha, that's very nice to hear. I was just guessing for you, only if I guess for myself, it never helps.
    I have still my problem with NFS, and nobody has reacted so far. Buh. Still waiting for some other Linux user that wants to try NFS...

Now, your problem is over, but we don't know what the culprit was...
    Anyway, enjoy

Marc

Red face Normal, what is that?

now that I have a username with full access.. when I log in from terminal services.. I can only log in as root.. and not with the username and password that I created... Is that normal???
    No. But (again) what is the message? Did you create a home directory for that user? Is that reflected in /etc/passwd? What happens, if you do, after logging in as root:
    sudo -u marc bash
    with marc replaced with your user name?
    In my passwd I have:
    marc:-passwordgarbage-:35000:42000:marc:/opt/home/marc:/opt/bin/bash
    and I have created /opt/home/marc.

See, questions, questions.

happy debugging
    Marc

Performance again

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    Did you have a look here?
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/197

I don't use a printer with the asus, but my the overall performance with the custom firmware is far better than in the 1.0.4.6 times.
    Also I don't have UPNP running. Don't need it.

Marc
    No, I hadn't seen the response there. I have been watching it but obviously not actively enough.

Since my last post I tested the printing, and it was still very slow. I also finally opened my eyes long enough to notice the UPNP switch in the configuration, so that has been killed and can no longer be blamed.

I'm now back to running the 1.0.7.8 (custom), and have no idea beyond the suggestion to install CUPS, which last time I looked, seemed quite involved in it's setup.

Thanks though.

Printing performance

Ok, so I haven't fixed the original problem. I still don't know why the default print deamon is performing so badly with 1.0.7.8, but I can report that after an hours work with the latest version of CUPS (thanks for the suggestion KFurge), I now have it running, and printing at speeds that are more than satisfactory.

The only thing I haven't worked out yet with CUPS is how to access the web interface from the local LAN without first having to establish an SSL connection via PUTTY and tunnelling in.

Printing works a treat. When I get a chance in the next week, I'll write up the steps I took and add them to another thread on this forum that has a great deal of discussion about getting CUPS running.

Thanks for your help.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast