Thread: HOW-TO: Compile/run Fuppes media server on WL700ge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Henrikh: ta! yes, as it stands today, its much the same as ushare (although i'd say not big disadvantages) - if I can get it config'd correctly it should be leaps and bounds further on (unless you know more about ushare than I've found: certainly the author is more geared to the ps3 he owns, and has stated that he doesn't intend to support the meta data requried for nice folder access on xbox360) - tried again last night, but still no progress. And ushare doesn't support transcoding whereas fuppes does - but as before, I'm not convinced our asus has the grunt for it!

mumsoft: i hadn't realised that KFurge was planning that: I was going to post that very recommendation today! If that's the case, and judging by his recent comments the new firmware isn't a million miles away (less than a month Kfurge?) then probably worth waiting, although if anyone else tries and can fix the config for xbox360 then i'd REALLY appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Henrikh: ta! yes, as it stands today, its much the same as ushare (although i'd say not big disadvantages) - if I can get it config'd correctly it should be leaps and bounds further on (unless you know more about ushare than I've found: certainly the author is more geared to the ps3 he owns, and has stated that he doesn't intend to support the meta data requried for nice folder access on xbox360) - tried again last night, but still no progress. And ushare doesn't support transcoding whereas fuppes does - but as before, I'm not convinced our asus has the grunt for it!

mumsoft: i hadn't realised that KFurge was planning that: I was going to post that very recommendation today! If that's the case, and judging by his recent comments the new firmware isn't a million miles away (less than a month Kfurge?) then probably worth waiting, although if anyone else tries and can fix the config for xbox360 then i'd REALLY appreciate it!!
    Well i think i was able to make my Xbox see my AVI files when i had uShare up and running, dont know about the photos.

But i messed around with the router and right now, i'm just sharing it from my PC :0). If the problems with fuppes can be sorted out, it will be really nice, especially the virtual folder thing, since its pretty useless to have them all listed as one big mess, if you have more than just a couple of hundred songs

Unfortunately, i can't even gain access to my router as it right now, and i don't bother to fix it, since Kfurges new firmware is just around the corner. But when it comes, i will definitely be giving your tutorial a try
    Last edited by Henrikh; 22-01-2008 at 16:09.

Now on 1.0.7.8

Ok, compiling fuppes under 1.0.7.8 is a bazillion times easier thanks to the KCSHELL modification in this version. once again, thanks K.C.

I now have files organised according to albums/genre/artist etc - which is a big step on from ushare for me (>100 albums = 1 big mess of files under ushare which isn't practical for me). still no photos/videos - but i know why at least the photos don't work (more later).

so, to compile fuppes, you'll need to install the following ipkgs

Code:
    ipkg install optware-devel
    ipkg install buildroot
    ipkg install sqlite
    ipkg install pcre
    ipkg install ffmpeg
    ipkg install pcre
    First, you'll need taglib (google it, download source)

compile by doing

Code:
    autoreconf -vfi
    ./configure --prefix=/opt
    make
    make install
    this is necessary for the 'by album/artist' vfolder searches. i seem to remember getting an error in the 'make install' part, but by this stage its already created the libtaglib files necessary and put them in the right place, so its probably ok.

then, get latest fuppes (i use 586, but a 587 was released last night), and compile as in the original post i made. note: you don't need to do any of the pesky changing /bin/sh to /opt/bin/bash now! woohoo!

...but you still need to drop the -O2 flag as before from the two makefiles.

then make/make install as before and all shoudl work.

NOTE: does anyone know how to cross-compiling for the wl700ge ? ie it would be loads quicker to compile on a windows machine (running cygwin say?) or a linux box (although i don't have access to one right now)

This gets me a working, semi-organised music folder udner fuppes. Why no video? no idea - working on that, but i believe its down to libavformat issues - will try and compile latest/greatest and try again.

photos? well, it seems that fuppes needs to use imagemagick to extract the meta-data from the jpgs for resolution etc - the 360 needs these to work correctly. the imagemagick package under optware repository doesn't seem to cut-it (fuppes needs ImageMagick++) and i've no success with compiling it from source yet (hence why i need cross-compiling option, cos its easier/quciker to work with)

hope this helps - if anyone else is interested in working with me on getting fully-working fuppes up and running under the wl700ge i'd appreciate it: i still think its the best non-twonky route for media serving to the xbox360 available at present

So i finally had some spare time to play around with this thing . Unfortunately, it didn't went as smooth as i had hoped for.

What version of taglib did you compile? The autoreconf and configure seems to work (all through i did encounter some of the "split value" errors while doing autoreconf) but when i run make i encounter the following error:

Code:
    tstring.cpp: In member function 'int TagLib::String::toInt() const':
    tstring.cpp:436: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
    make[3]: *** [tstring.lo] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/taglib/toolkit'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/taglib'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Did you encounter this error?

*Update*

So far so good. The problem was the O2 flag in the CXXFLAGS part of the makefiles. Now the "make" part completes without error, but make install gives the following error:

Code:
    make[3]: Entering directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/bindings/c'
    test -z "/opt/lib" || /opt/bin/mkdir -p "/opt/lib"
     /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=install /opt/bin/install -c -p  'libtag_c.la' '/opt/lib/libtag_c.la'
    libtool: install: warning: relinking `libtag_c.la'
    /opt/bin/ld: cannot find -ltag
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    libtool: install: error: relink `libtag_c.la' with the above command before installing it
    make[3]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/bindings/c'
    make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/bindings/c'
    make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/bindings'
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    Last edited by Henrikh; 30-03-2008 at 10:11.

cannot install fuppes

Hai

I am using the recent version 1.9.2.7-9 of Oleg's optware on my WL-500gx (deluxe).

I can easily install fuppes using <ipkg install fuppes>. However when I execute the command or scriptfile <fuppes> I get the error message

"[ContentDatabase] create database at Fri May 23 14:36:17 2008
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'EException'
    what(): 10EException"

I have the file <fuppes.cfg> and <fuppes.db> in root/.fuppes, however no process Fuppes is not part of my process list (ps). I treid several times but it does not seem to help

Can somebody help please?

Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    So i finally had some spare time to play around with this thing . Unfortunately, it didn't went as smooth as i had hoped for.

What version of taglib did you compile? The autoreconf and configure seems to work (all through i did encounter some of the "split value" errors while doing autoreconf) but when i run make i encounter the following error:

Code:
    tstring.cpp: In member function 'int TagLib::String::toInt() const':
    tstring.cpp:436: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
    make[3]: *** [tstring.lo] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/taglib/toolkit'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/taglib'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Did you encounter this error?

*Update*

So far so good. The problem was the O2 flag in the CXXFLAGS part of the makefiles. Now the "make" part completes without error, but make install gives the following error:

Code:
    make[3]: Entering directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/bindings/c'
    test -z "/opt/lib" || /opt/bin/mkdir -p "/opt/lib"
     /bin/sh ../../libtool --silent --mode=install /opt/bin/install -c -p  'libtag_c.la' '/opt/lib/libtag_c.la'
    libtool: install: warning: relinking `libtag_c.la'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    libtool: install: error: relink `libtag_c.la' with the above command before installing it
    make[3]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/bindings/c'
    make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/bindings/c'
    make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/shares/MYVOLUME1/taglib/taglib-1.5/bindings'
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    I have the same problem with "/opt/bin/ld: cannot find -ltag".
    Does anyone know how to solve this?