Thread: Oleg firmware not working.

Unhappy Oleg firmware not working.

hello,

After too many frustrating moments with my wl-500gp, I tried different firmwares, also olegs firmware, wich is the best firmware I saw so far.
    To install the router properly, I read and used the tutorial from marcnesium (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=5909).
    I just first installed the firmware, put it back to factory settings and filled in all the settings.
    I tought... hey lets try out the printer, but after 30 secs my printer (lexmark X1155) disconnected from the router, and the log showed me a time-out.
    I think this is pretty weird, as my printer works completely on the asus firmware...
    Allright... now I tried my USB drive, no response because EXT2 isn't supported... wich ment that I had to copy over 500GB of data to several HDD as this external drive is the biggest in the house (took a looong time).

anyways, I moved on to the tutorial, wich was quite easy till I got stuck with the hdd part.
    fdisk didn't worked out, so I had to format my hdd on puppy linux to ext3 and an extended partition (1GB).

then the next step...
    'mke2fs -j /dev/discs/disc0/part1'
    it gave me an error, something like not enough memory.
    'mkswap /dev/discs/disc0/part2'
    did work, but also an error.. not sure what that one was..

ah well... I tried out FTP and samba and yes it works (woot woot)

then... I made the post-boot script and typed 'flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable && reboot' to save everything.
    tried samba and ftp again... no response, suddenly the router couldn't read the EXT3 super block windows xp could read it, and puppy linux read it, no probs at all...
    also after rebooting or unplugging the hdd didn't matter at all... always the super block.

so.. from that moment all my dreams shatterd and I came back in the asus nightmare.

do you guys have any ideas?

p.s. never mail the asus support... they don't give you any solutions.
    example:
    me: I can't block ip adresses in the firewall for my ftp server. how should I do this?
    asus: we advice you to close port 21.

btw... that asus quote is literairy...

can someone just try to help me?
    I would appriciate it

well, just a hint....
    Use better http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10307
    because it's a bit more up to date and works as I know from experience.
    When you have troubles with creating partitions, use your pc with partition magic or similar.

Anyhow, don't forget the factory resets, before you do anything.

When you are trying different firmware its a great help when you do before flashing a 'nvram show >> /tmp/harddisk/nvram.txt' and save this file with winscp to your pc. It allows you to investigate differences and "left overs" after flashing back aso.

Quote Originally Posted by newbiefan View Post
    well, just a hint....
    Use better http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10307
    because it's a bit more up to date and works as I know from experience.
    When you have troubles with creating partitions, use your pc with partition magic or similar.

Anyhow, don't forget the factory resets, before you do anything.

When you are trying different firmware its a great help when you do before flashing a 'nvram show >> /tmp/harddisk/nvram.txt' and save this file with winscp to your pc. It allows you to investigate differences and "left overs" after flashing back aso.
    aight, I will try that one

What do you mean with nvram show? do you mean that this might be the problem of my firewall working when it's set to "off" ? (just an example).
    Als my nat isn't working properly anymore, I can't port forward
    is that because a that thing?

thanks

What I meant is quite simple:
    for instance: when you flash dd-wrt you will see, that your nvram is filled with an unbelieveable amount of crap, therefore it's always good to know what is necessary to get a running system. Sometimes it's very hard to get rid of such grap, thats the reason why a flashing of nvram-clear and nvram-restore exist.
    When doing a nvram show (after set to factory defaults) it is (can be) just a help when something went wrong.
    Anyhow, it is a suggestion - it has no special function or whatsoever.

Allright, I got it up and running.
    I first tried with a USB stick, maybe later when I know how to do everything I wil format my hdd again
    I also first want to test if the firewall and nat works porperly, otherwise it wouldn't be a reall good thing to install oleg...
    Also my printer is working now I read something about RAW printing, is that possible and do I need different ports or something?

also... I get this warning all the time: Jan 4 21:59:52 syslog: Warn: MRT_DEL_MFC; Errno(2): No such file or directory

does anyone know what this is?

thanks

EDIT:

Firewall and NAT aren't working, the settings I used allowed me to browse my website via atunnel.com (by example). Also browsershots couldn't make any connection.
    what can this be maybe my router is broken... or does someone have a solution?
    Last edited by wpte; 04-01-2008 at 21:25. Reason: update

aight... printer still not working

Jan 7 13:35:14 kernel: printer.c: usblp0: nonzero read/write bulk status received: -88
    Jan 7 13:35:14 kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 01:03.0-1 address 2
    Jan 7 13:35:14 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [104/max 1552]='MFG:Lexmark ;CMD:CPDNPA001;MODEL:X1100 Series;CLASS:Printer;DES:Lexmark X1100 Series;COMMENT:030305-1;'
    Jan 7 13:35:14 kernel: printer.c: Parsing USBLPID...
    Jan 7 13:35:14 kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 01:03.0-1.1 address 3
    Jan 7 13:35:14 kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 01:03.0-1.2 address 4
    Jan 7 13:35:14 kernel: printer.c: usblp0: removed
    Jan 7 13:35:18 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 01:03.0-2, assigned address 5
    Jan 7 13:35:18 kernel: hub.c: USB hub found
    Jan 7 13:35:18 kernel: hub.c: 2 ports detected
    Jan 7 13:35:18 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 01:03.0-2.1, assigned address 6
    Jan 7 13:35:18 kernel: usb.c: USB device 6 (vend/prod 0x43d/0x7c) is not claimed by any active driver.
    Jan 7 13:35:19 kernel: hub.c: new USB device 01:03.0-2.2, assigned address 7
    Jan 7 13:35:19 kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 7 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x043D pid 0x007B
    Jan 7 13:35:19 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [104]='MFG:Lexmark ;CMD:CPDNPA001;MODEL:X1100 Series;CLASS:Printer;DES:Lexmark X1100 Series;COMMENT:030305-1;'
    Jan 7 13:35:20 kernel: printer.c: usblp0 Device ID string [104/max 1552]='MFG:Lexmark ;CMD:CPDNPA001;MODEL:X1100 Series;CLASS:Printer;DES:Lexmark X1100 Series;COMMENT:030305-1;'
    Jan 7 13:35:20 kernel: printer.c: Parsing USBLPID...
    Jan 7 13:35:26 kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
    Jan 7 13:35:37 kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
    can someone help me fix this? cos I really don't understand it why it doesn't work on olegs firmware, but it does on the crappy asus one...