Thread: Safely removing an HDD

Safely removing an HDD

Hi,

I recently purchased an Asus WL500gP router and I'm still trying to figure out the best way of using its features.

I was copying some files through the network when I decided to continue the process by connecting the external HDD directly to a PC. After that I realised that the last file I copied got corrupted, I suppose due to the fact that I disconnected the hard drive from the router without any delay.

I guess that I'm missing some "safely remove hardware" feature such as the one that XP features. Nevertheless I don't know if the router has this kind of feature that would allow me to safely disconnect the HDD from the router.

BTW, I'm using the original firmware.

Best regards.

This is not a hardware related question, it's a physical question.
    Even your windowsxp vista can't handle this - write a large file to any storage and pull it out during writing (blinking) - it's promised - file(s) are lost, or you are unable to read anything when file allocation table (FAT) is corrupted (worst case).
    So it's simple, just wait until everything is written (Led's flushing is changing to solid on) and then unplug your hdd - you will see it works.
    The "safely remove hardware" function of winxp is exactly doing that.

Actually in Oleg's FW there is a button in USB Application - FTP Server - Force to Eject USB Disk I don't know whether it is Oleg's or asus's development. You might check if you have it.