Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SANE (Scanner server) - Any chance for WL-500g?

SANE (Scanner server) - Any chance for WL-500g?

I have the WL-500g and an USB printer+scanner combo...
    I'm not using it on the router, cause i can't use the scanner.
    I have found that S.A.N.E. ( http://www.sane-project.org/ ) is able to share a scanner on the network.
    Is there any chance to compile it for the WL-500g?
    It's avaliable as a debian package for MIPS... Can I use debian packages for MIPS on the router? how?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To OLEG: Please use firmware 1.8.1.9 as a base! The WAN port spoeed setting via WEB interface works! no more need for post-boot complicated stuff (for noobs). Also the is the QoS webpage that could be tried to make it work with wondershaper...

If the libraries used in debian is compatible, you can use that. I doubt they are though. Actually, for the WL500G, you can use a little trick to try all the debian stuff, debootstrap a mipsel woody and transfer it to a USB HD/memory stick(but that would be bad for long term use because of write cycles), then mount it on the WL500G and do a chroot. Another similar way is to setup a nfs server and do the same debootstrap. I would try the NFS route soon.

[QUOTE=Dante_]I have the WL-500g and an USB printer+scanner combo...
    I'm not using it on the router, cause i can't use the scanner..................
    QUOTE]

Doesn't the printer manufacturer provide software / drivers for this function? The software supplied with HP combo printers supports this function.

Another option might be to use a simple USB hub, connect one to the ASUS, the other one straight to the computer you intend to use for scanning, or if your printer also has an LPT1 connection you can use this port for the scanning functionality.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

It's an HP psc750... (USB Only)
    The driver has two parts...
    The printer driver I can set it to use the IP port, but the scanner driver only shows up on the system with the printer pluged in the computer.
    As for the USB HUB stuff it wont work, becaus you cant connect 2 USB hosts in a hub.

An idea which you may want to pursue. I have been able to run a chrooted debian woody with WL500G. I run openwrt on it which I have installed dropbear(ssh) that I can connect into. Then I NFS mount to a prepared debian woody and chroot there.

If you want to try out if SANE in debian works with your device on this, you can try this route. After that, think about compressed the whole debian tree(or whatever is necessary) into a memory stick. But can you printer be plug to a hub as you would need 2 connection for the WL500G, memory and printer.

Another geek idea, get the WL-HDD and use it as a NFS server. 100Mbps is much faster than 11Mbps on the USB 1.1. But that would need a hackable firmware as I the stock one doesn't have NFS server built-in.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dante_
    The driver has two parts...
    The printer driver I can set it to use the IP port, but the scanner driver only shows up on the system with the printer pluged in the computer.
    Yes I know. Just check out the manufacturers site, often it requires a specific installation order to get everything working. You will certainly need more then just the drivers.

As for the USB HUB stuff it wont work, becaus you cant connect 2 USB hosts in a hub.
    Yeah, I meant USB splitter.
    (something like this one; http://www.sfcable.com/Merchant2/mer...de=usbsplitter
    Last edited by brubber; 28-09-2004 at 21:01.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

just curious, if I use this kind of splitter can each device attached still get the max bus power of 5v@500mA ?

Is there something new for SANE & WL-500 ? ??????
    Last edited by Pirat; 09-11-2004 at 12:38.
    best regards
    Pirat

No...
    I don't know how to make the bootloader use the usb HD for booting debian..
    Also.. It's gonna be difficult to setup a debian sytem to resemble the ASUS firmware...

It's avaliable as a debian package for MIPS...
    Can you post the Link??
    best regards
    Pirat

Binary MIPS packages from Debian will likely not run on WL-500g. You need to recompile the source for use on WL500g.
    Last edited by Styno; 23-11-2004 at 12:52.

are there any updates for the sane scanner server?

Wll there appears to be a SANE p;ackae for the openwrt platform. Maybe it will work on WL500g too.

http://openwrt.alphacore.net/Packages

Package: saned
    Version: 1.0.15
    Depends: libpthread
    Section: net
    Architecture: mipsel
    Maintainer: Florian Fainelli <florian@alphacore.net>
    MD5Sum: 625e3f3457fcb03fdc94d86a58eb315c
    Size: 136665
    Filename: saned_1.0.15_mipsel.ipk
    Source: http://www.sane-projects.org
    Description: SANE stands for "Scanner Access Now Easy" and is an application programming interface (API) that provides standardized access to any raster image scanner hardware (flatbed scanner, hand-held scanner, video- and still-cameras, frame-grabbers, etc.).

Got sane-backends compiled for wiley (Asus wl series) using unslung build system.
    I'll make it available soon in the unslung asus feed.
    It would be nice if testing users could give some feedback about it.

JF

done.
    as usual :
    ipkg update
    ipkg install sane-backends

You'll need xinetd or inetd (inetutils) to make it run.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast