Thread: Cant connect via Telnet or SSH

Cant connect via Telnet or SSH

Today I tried installing OpenWRT on my Asus wl-500gP. It was no problem to transfer the file to the router, but when I am trying to connect to the router via telnet or SSH with Putty it says connection: closed by remote host. And when I press ok it says: Network Error - Connection timed out.

I have tried with WinXP Pro builtin telnet service and that doesn't work either. I've tried different computers too. Both Linux and Windows.

I tried to install Olegs firmware some months ago but had the same problems there.

So have anyone a clue what to do?

Maybe the problem is port forwarding?
    http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=62477&postcount=2

Can you establish a connection in your LAN? When not, check the webinf if telnet is running!

How can it ne that when I never been able to access the router. Of course I could do it when I had original firmware but now everything is reset.

And what is webinf. Is that a webinterface? Can I access that already? I thought I had to install something more?

I've tried to read tutorials, but they only bring up problems later in the install process

After the installation you can access the webinterface!
    I think default user ist admin/admin or admin and no pw!

Maybe telnet is not enabled on default installation!

Somehow I got it to work. I don't know why. I redid everything, nothing different from the last time. And this time it worked. Thanks for your help though. It has really helped to straighten things out.