Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firmware v1.8.1.7 CR2 [Oleg] - updated ( CR2a )

Firmware v1.8.1.7 CR2 [Oleg] - updated ( CR2a )

New custom firmware available for download. Up2date information is available at this page.

There are also firmware for the units in this directory. Consider them experimental.

Changes in this release:
    • Fixed a problem with firewall not working correctly, when logging was active
    • Fixed a bug in the stock firmware causing time synchronization fail with dyndns service active
    • Applied a patch to fix problem with Genesys Logic usb chipset
    • Telstra BigPond changes (thanks to Rod Whitby)
    • Australian timezones patch (thanks to Rod Whitby)
    • Added new option "Number of connections to track" to Internet Firewall | Basic Settings

Important notice for post-firewall users: post-firewall script should be adjusted, be carefull when adding rules with -A - this will no longer work correctly, due to unconditional rule at the end of table. Check the iptables -L -v output.

For 1.8.1.7-1 discussion check this thread.

Update: updated to 1.8.1.7-2a, there is no need to reupload firmware if you do not use dropbear. Links are also updated.
    Last edited by Oleg; 19-10-2004 at 20:24.

ssh not working correctly

Hi Oleg,
    thank you for your great work. Due to your effort this ASUS router is a real useful machine. Now to the probs I'm faced to. I installed 1.8.1.7-1 2 days ago and setup the router everything was fine except the topics already listed in the corresponding thread.

So today I installed the new release 1.8.1.7-2 and a new problem is appearing: the ssh daemon (dropbear) is running, but I can't login any longer. After typing in the password the session will hang. Here's the corresponding entry of the router logfiles:

Oct 19 18:34:59 (none) authpriv.err dropbear[124]: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY): Input/output error
    Oct 19 18:34:59 (none) authpriv.err dropbear[124]: /dev/pts/0: No such file or directory
    Oct 19 18:34:59 (none) authpriv.err dropbear[124]: open /dev/tty failed - could not set controlling tty: No such device or address

Nothing was changed but the loglevel was changed from 'none' to 'dropped' .This is happening on the router which was running fine under 1.8.1-7-1 and the same is happening on a naked router after the update and installing from the scratch. If you'll need more information or tests, please feel free to contact me.

CU Sigurd

Thank you for your report. Dropbear is completely broken in this release... Sources are ok, binary is bad.
    Update: rebuild as 1.8.1.7-2a, there is no need to reupload firmware if you do not use dropbear. Links are also updated.
    Last edited by Oleg; 19-10-2004 at 20:25.

I feel a bit silly but I'm having troubbles getting write access through Samba with firmwares 1.8.1.7-2-pre1 and 1.8.1.7-2a.

When mounting the hidden share$, I can view the directorys and open files, but I'm unable to write files to the disk. This was working fine in 1.7.5.6 CR5.

Any ideas?

Edit 1: I can confirm that Dropbear is working just fine in the 2a release.

Edit 2: I have the following line in the 'post-boot' script to start a 2nd webserver which is not working
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/busybox_httpd -p 81 -h /tmp/harddisk/wwwroot
    But when I execute the same command from the commandline the webserver starts normally. Any ideas on why this is not working from post-boot? Everything else is working fine from the post-boot script...
    Last edited by Styno; 19-10-2004 at 22:23.

Manually Assigned IP List

Hi ppl...

I'm now using 1.8.1.7-2a and having a little problem with manually assigning IPs through MAC. I've added all MACs and the respective IPs to the web interface table, however, only the wired PCs get it's correct IP and the wireless PCs get an IP from the DHCP pool...
    I had the same poblem with 1.8.1.7-1, but not with 1.7.5.9-5.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this problem...

Thanks in advance

dropbear

... is now working again (1.8.1.7-2a). Thank you Oleg.

Regards
    Sigurd

by the way the link to the 1.8.1.7-2a.zip file is not working. I was only able to download the ...trx file from the other versions directory.

Quote Originally Posted by sleuther
    by the way the link to the 1.8.1.7-2a.zip file is not working. I was only able to download the ...trx file from the other versions directory.
    Repaired now.

Quote Originally Posted by virilius
    I'm now using 1.8.1.7-2a and having a little problem with manually assigning IPs through MAC. I've added all MACs and the respective IPs to the web interface table, however, only the wired PCs get it's correct IP and the wireless PCs get an IP from the DHCP pool...
    Please post your /etc/ethers file and MAC addresses of problematic clients. Also, it's possible, that wireless clients are requesting old IP addresses, static assignment does not work in this case.

default firewall settings wrong

Hi it's me again.
    if you select logging dropped files and use virtuell servers inside theres a problem:

logdrop all -- br0 ppp0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
    logdrop all -- ppp0 br0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 <-----

The second logdrop rules is catching all transfer comming in a dropping it, the firewall ACCEPT rules for the forwarded ports are in following lines and will not be reached anytime. I did a workaroung in killing this rule and adding the necessary drop rules at the end... version 1.8.1.7-2a

CU Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by sleuther
    Hi it's me again.
    if you select logging dropped files and use virtuell servers inside theres a problem:

logdrop all -- br0 ppp0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
    logdrop all -- ppp0 br0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 <-----
    This seems to be a bug in the original firmware... Could you please post entire /tmp/filter_rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    I feel a bit silly but I'm having troubbles getting write access through Samba with firmwares 1.8.1.7-2-pre1 and 1.8.1.7-2a.

When mounting the hidden share$, I can view the directorys and open files, but I'm unable to write files to the disk. This was working fine in 1.7.5.6 CR5.

Any ideas?
    I've had the same problem.
    The solution I've found is to replace the user root by user admin in the line : force user =

Thanks to all for the nice job

Regards

Oldudu
    Last edited by Styno; 20-10-2004 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by oldudu
    [I've had the same problem.
    The solution I've found is to replace the user root by user admin in the line : force user =

Thanks to all for the nice job

Regards

Oldudu
    Right, smb.conf has hardcoded root name, but it's provided as sample only. Well, I will probably fix this. For now either change user name to root or edit smb.conf file and save it to flashfs.

Thanks Oldudu. Will adding users to passwd file work with Samba?

Oleg, any ideas on how to solve my 2nd problem?
    Edit 2: I have the following line in the 'post-boot' script to start a 2nd webserver which is not working
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/busybox_httpd -p 81 -h /tmp/harddisk/wwwroot
    But when I execute the same command from the commandline the webserver starts normally. Any ideas on why this is not working from post-boot? Everything else is working fine from the post-boot script...
    Last edited by Styno; 20-10-2004 at 12:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    Thanks Oldudu. Will adding users to passwd file work with Samba?

Oleg, any ideas on how to solve my 2nd problem?
    Not yet. Try redirecting the output using something like this:

Code:
    busybox_httpd ... > /tmp/log 2>&1
    and check it after boot-up. Also, be sure you've #!/bin/sh at the top.

Static IPs

Hummm... Deleting dhcpd cache in each node did solve the problem... I did try that solution but not the right way...

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by virilius; 20-10-2004 at 13:50.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast