Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOW-TO say Open Sesame to your internal disk

Quote Originally Posted by robink View Post
    Yes sure, works just fine. Just replace the internal P-ATA Hardrive with something bigger. You'll have to reinstall the firmware to make it work as this will format the drive during the installation process. You should be able to find a guide somethere here.

Better find a drive that doesn't get too hot, there is no need to pick a quick one (5400rpm would just be fine) as the Asus can't handly the IO anyway! On top of that it's probably less noisy.

My 500GB drive broke down, I suspect that overclocking and additionally having a 7200 rpm that gets hot made it cook.
    OK Thank you...

I will be look after an HD which would be not to hot.... Do you think that a 750GB will be also supported?? Because I use the Asus as BT Client(rtorrent) and in my opinion 250GB is to small and 750GB will be perfekt...

Quote Originally Posted by Omega24v View Post
    OK Thank you...

I will be look after an HD which would be not to hot.... Do you think that a 750GB will be also supported?? Because I use the Asus as BT Client(rtorrent) and in my opinion 250GB is to small and 750GB will be perfekt...
    Just search this forum for "750" and you'll find your answer.

Marc

Thumbs up Great

Thank you Mark!!

I have found it and order a Seagate 750GB..... I hope it will be work fine...

Alex

I have testet it - It works fine!!!!!! Thank you
    Last edited by Omega24v; 28-11-2008 at 17:59.

Unhappy

I'm a little confused with the How-To. I've messed up my asus drive with 230GB of data on it and am trying to repair it so I can access the files. I have never used linux before or ever done any coding.

I have a LiveCD of Knoppix and have connected the Asus drive inside my computer to an IDE cable. I'm pretty sure Knoppix recognises it as /hdc/.

I've got as far as making the back-up but now I'm stuck. When I enter:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hdc of=asus=mbr-original bs=512 count=1
    I get this message:
    Code:
    dd: writing asus-mbr-original ' : No space left on device
    1+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000687182 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
    Does this mean I'm trying to back up the mbr on the wrong driive?

Please help me! I'm a total newb and don't have a clue what I'm doing!

EDIT:

OK! Looks like I made a mistake, /hdc/ was ctually the LiveCd itself and the asus drive is actually /hdb/ (I checked this using TestDisk)
    Although when I try to access /hdb/ via fdisk it just gives me:
    Code:
    Uable to open /dev/hdb
    So, I am back at square 1! Could I be able to acess the drive if I used TestDisk to create a whole new mbr?
    Please help I've got a lot of data on there!
    Last edited by camel_456; 10-09-2008 at 22:23. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by camel_456 View Post
    I'm a little confused with the How-To. I've messed up my asus drive with 230GB of data on it and am trying to repair it so I can access the files. I have never used linux before or ever done any coding.

I have a LiveCD of Knoppix and have connected the Asus drive inside my computer to an IDE cable. I'm pretty sure Knoppix recognises it as /hdc/.

I've got as far as making the back-up but now I'm stuck. When I enter:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hdc of=asus=mbr-original bs=512 count=1
    I get this message:
    Code:
    dd: writing asus-mbr-original ' : No space left on device
    1+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000687182 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
    Does this mean I'm trying to back up the mbr on the wrong driive?

Please help me! I'm a total newb and don't have a clue what I'm doing!

EDIT:

OK! Looks like I made a mistake, /hdc/ was ctually the LiveCd itself and the asus drive is actually /hdb/ (I checked this using TestDisk)
    Although when I try to access /hdb/ via fdisk it just gives me:
    Code:
    Uable to open /dev/hdb
    So, I am back at square 1! Could I be able to acess the drive if I used TestDisk to create a whole new mbr?
    Please help I've got a lot of data on there!
    Sorry I couln't reply sooner, forgot my password for this site!

The problem might be that your current working directory is not writeable! The "data definition" command of the How-To will try to write a copy of the MBR at your current location, hence the message "No space left on device" -> as the device is not writable it doesn't have any space left. You should change to a location that can be written to!

good luck!
    Robin

I spent several days trying to upgrade and transfer data from my internal disk (250 GB) to Samsung 750 GB, but unsucesfully. Please, could somebody give me some advice?

Here is what I did after had attached old and new disks to my Windows PC, installed SysRescueCd on my USB stick and booted it:
    - mkdir /mnt/c
    - mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/c
    - ddrescue -s512 /dev/sdb /mnt/c/temp/original-mbr.bin
    - fdisk /dev/sdb, then u n p 1 1262160 w
    - ddrescue /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
    - gparted /dev/sdc, then resized partition to 750 GB
    - ddrescue /mnt/c/temp/original-mbr.bin /dev/sdc

/dev/sda1 is the first partition on my PC disk, /dev/sdb is the original disk (250 GB) and /dev/sdc is the new disk (750 GB).

I tried many other commbinations, even with Windows disk imaging and partitioning programs, but without any succes.

In one moment I managed to get copied 250 GB data on my new disk and rest of it was empty, so I could create a new volume on it within Asus itself, but I didn't like that idea - I need one contigous 750 GB volume, because I am using UPnP and media server which recognize only files in Audio and Video folders of the MYSHARE1 folder on the first volume.

Also, in one moment I got one empty 750 GB volume, then mounted old disk attached to my PC with Paragon Partition Manager, but transfer of files through 100 Mbps LAN was horibly slow, so I abandoned that idea. Now, I could not reproduce even that.

When you did this:
    - gparted /dev/sdc, then resized partition to 750 GB
    you got a nice ~750 GB partition,
    but when you did this
    - ddrescue /mnt/c/temp/original-mbr.bin /dev/sdc
    you restored the definition of the original ~250Gb partition.

i think you should do this:
    - install the 750 GB disk in the Asus, and install the firmware on it.
    - take it out, and make the partition visible. (backup the MBR first)
    - make the partition on the 250GB visible, if needed.
    - copy the the files someway (cp)
    - restore the mbr of the 750GB disk

But I have to say that i never tried to transfer my files to a bigger disk. So I hope for you that Robin or Omega24 will reply with a solution that has proven to work.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    you restored the definition of the original ~250Gb partition.
    Well, I know that but if I keep a boot sector made by fdisk, Asus would not load at all.

I tried to create first sector with fdisk telling it is 250 GB and saved that, after that created another boot sector telling it is 750 GB and saved that as well. After comparing these two files I got to conclusion that final sector of partition (i.e. size of disk) is at offset 0x1CA. But, original Asus mbr have zeros on that position. Anyway, I entered in that location values from the second generated file (B1 10 41 57), but nothing is happening - Asus still displays disk with a 250 GB volume and rest of it unoccupied.

i think you should do this:
    - install the 750 GB disk in the Asus, and install the firmware on it.
    Yeah, I tried that as well, but Asus could not load with a blank disk. I tried to upgrade firmware following tutorial on this forum using the Windows software, as well as with the Web setup, but without any success. Now, I blame myself why I dropped idea to copy files through the LAN when I managed to create one 750 GB volume, because I cannot reproduce that anymore.

Anyway, thank you very much for your response. I'll keep trying...

Maybe you could try this:

- Copy the content of the first 250GB disk to the 750Gb disk.
    - let the asus boot with the 750 Gb disk
    - remove volume1 with the webgui
    - make a new volume with the webgui
    - take it out
    - copy the files of the 250GB disk (volume1) to the 750GB disk (volume1)

you also might try to copy only the hidden information to the 750 Gb disk (to make it bootable, try to boot it with Asus, and define a new VoluME1, etc.

But I don't have any experience with a brand new disk. It seems to me that several people other people have... But where are they?

Marc

- Copy the content of the first 250GB disk to the 750Gb disk.
    - let the asus boot with the 750 Gb disk
    - remove volume1 with the webgui
    I already tried that (many times). Unfortunately, Asus Web interface doesn't allow to remove the first volume from the disk

you also might try to copy only the hidden information to the 750 Gb disk (to make it bootable, try to boot it with Asus, and define a new VoluME1, etc.
    Of course I tried that first, but Asus still report that I have one 250 GB volume already defined and rest of disk unoccupied. As I said, in one moment I managed to get empty disk and I have been able to create 750 GB volume, but I don't remember how.

Thanks for suggestions. I just downloaded 400 MB of its source code, maybe I could find in it where is stored information about a disk size. The broadcom.c file is most promising...

Partition table lost

Router's hard disk partition table is lost. Can anybody send me output of
    fdisk -l
    ?
    EDIT: Forget it, I found it: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?10...-internal-disk
    Last edited by Lieta; 01-04-2012 at 11:02.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12