Hello everybody. I'm a proud new owner of a Wl HDD. I have the hope to make a kind of Wl 500g in a smaller shape, with the fast access to HD.

In the "how to save current firmware" tread, Antiloop tryed to flash Oleg's firmware in the Wl-HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
to add some points..

the WL-HDD is able to serve as printserver too

i just flashed a 1.8.1.7pre3 into it and the thing booted normally but ofcourse acted as an wl500g but the ethernet port is the WAN port then so you have to login wirelessy otherwise you can't access it because of the firewall

some thinking of me, perhaps it's possible to remove the FTP from the firmware and put a firmware on the HDD itselve
this should enable us (ofcourse memory use is still a point!) to implement bigger packages
As far as I understand, I will have the following steps to take:

1) format a partition using ext3fs using a tool that I would have to copy in the temp directory from the web admin page on a usb key or on the HD

2) copy all files from the latest Oleg firmware root fs to this partition (should I take special methods as I'm working under Windows system?)

3) change the nvram setting to boot from this partition using something like :
nvram set boot_dev="/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1"
nvram commit

If I understand correctly, if the WLHDD cannot find the system on the USB drive or HDD, then it will boot the normal system from internal memory, so I have a rollback by removing the drive and reformating it?

Can I do all this from the web interface, or I need telnet access? I couldn't start telnet until now as busybox doesn't give me any output (I'm using the one from Oleg's firmware)

Can anybody tell me if my asumption are correct and correct them if needed?

Thanks a lot

PS: As Antiloop tryed it, is it a viable solution to work with Oleg's firmware, if I'm ready to access the WL HDD from wireless and let the lan port be a wan port?