PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : problem with the box

gratitude182
05-07-2007, 21:56
the box runs (with kf's firmware) at the moment very well.
but when i switch off the box (not manuell restart) for about 5 times i have no network connection (lan) to the box. (it runs for about 5-25 days each time.) so i have to reset it.
then the box works for about 2-3 times to switch off/on. then the same problem. then i have to reset it. if it won't work i have to install the firmware again with the firmware restoration tool.
then it works 1-2 times to switch off and after that i install the firmware / reset the box and it works only for about < 12 hours even if i install the firmware and reset it.
if it is aslike this i have to install openwrt, format the hd, run the nvram-clear script (from openwrt) reset the box and install the (custom) asus firmware again.

so this is not a solution for me. i wanna turn off the box if want it so and i'am happy with the custom firmware.
so could this be a problem with nvram? or are the settings damaged if i press the reset button? where else could be a problem? or is this normal?

i hope somebody could help.
@kfurge: what is the box doing if i press the reset button? could the settings there be damaged?

thanks

grat182

kfurge
06-07-2007, 03:13
if it is aslike this i have to install openwrt, format the hd, run the nvram-clear script (from openwrt) reset the box and install the (custom) asus firmware again.
I think I understand your problem.... Sometimes after you turn the box off then back on by pressing the front power button, the box does not boot up and the only way to recover is to completely erase the nvram. Correct?

Is is possible to reset the nvram via the ez-setup button?

Regarding the unstable startup/shutdown, are you remounting some of the filesystems via "mount -o bind"? If so, your filesystems might not be cleanly unmounted at shutdown. After seeing what was happening during shutdown on my serial console, I had to do some dancing with the shutdown scripts to get it clean again.

@kfurge: what is the box doing if i press the reset button? could the settings there be damaged?

I don't know what happens. I've actually never pressed the button! I doubt it will do anything bad; probably just reboot the box.

- K.C.

gratitude182
06-07-2007, 09:36
thanks for the answer kfurge.

I think I understand your problem.... Sometimes after you turn the box off then back on by pressing the front power button, the box does not boot up and the only way to recover is to completely erase the nvram. Correct?

yes, i shutdown the box with the front power button and then i plug out the power. and yes, it is so that i have to clear the nvram with the reset button. but when i have switched on/off the box to often i have to reset the box or if this won't work i have to run the nvram-clear-script (from openwrt) in telnet/ssh. and if the router sucks again to fast with the same problem (<2days) i have to install openwrt, format the hd, run the nvram-clear script and install your firmware again.

Is is possible to reset the nvram via the ez-setup button?

i thought that only works with the reset button (5-10) or am i wrong? if this isn't so i will try this.[/quote]

Regarding the unstable startup/shutdown, are you remounting some of the filesystems via "mount -o bind"? If so, your filesystems might not be cleanly unmounted at shutdown. After seeing what was happening during shutdown on my serial console, I had to do some dancing with the shutdown scripts to get it clean again.

i haven't mounted something else manually and i have only connected the printer via usb. i have only the shares/MYVOLUME/MYSHARE1.

the mounts are following:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on / type cramfs (rw)
/dev on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
ramfs on /shares type ramfs (rw)
ramfs on /foreign_shares type ramfs (rw)
/dev/se/2 on /shares/MYVOLUME1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/se/2 on /opt type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

I don't know what happens. I've actually never pressed the button! I doubt it will do anything bad; probably just reboot the box.

- K.C.

yeah, i think that was a very good decision to don't press the reset button :-)
i think, i have pressed that button to often because i have often installed the original asus firmwares 1.0.4.1, 1.0.4.2 and 1.0.4.6 and changed between them and pressed alltough the reset button.

i hope, you (or somebody else) could help me.

thanks

grat182

gratitude182
18-07-2007, 12:19
@kfurge:

do you maybe know what i should do? should i send it to asus?

grat182

kfurge
20-07-2007, 03:00
@kfurge:

do you maybe know what i should do? should i send it to asus?

grat182

As painful as it is, I'd recommend running the stock firmware for a while and seeing if the problem still exists. If so, send it back and let Asus fix it.

If not, I'd recommend installing a serial console to further diagnose what the problem is. With it, you'll see right away what the problem is. Additionally, you can use the bootloader easily clear/modify the nvram at boot-up instead of optware.

- K.C.

gratitude182
20-07-2007, 10:21
i will try the stock firmware first.

thanks kc

grat182

mumsoft
20-07-2007, 11:21
I too have KC's firmware installed. Every day I push the on/off button to shut down the box, and after that I disconnect it from the wallet to save energy.
Next day I reconnect it to the wallet and that's it. It switches itself on.

Never had any problem with that.

Marc

Gizmo1007
22-10-2007, 22:56
Hi Kc,

I seem to have run into a similar problem as Grat182. I noticed that you said you had to do some workaround on the power down script.
Any chance of sharing?
Can you tell me another way of using the mount -o or what would be better to avoid using the reset button?
Can the Nvram be update to point to the mount filesystem?
Confused newbie to Linux, getting my feet soaked......
It would really help in the event of sudden power outs, is there another way of setting up the /opt mount to avoid reblasting the whole time?

Tks for reading

kfurge
01-11-2007, 01:41
I seem to have run into a similar problem as Grat182. I noticed that you said you had to do some workaround on the power down script.
Any chance of sharing?

No problem. I posted my scripts here:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8118

Details are in my last post.

- K.C.