PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Guidance needed : Is this the router for me?

Kalev
13-06-2007, 19:30
Hello everyone,

First off, THANK YOU to every contributor in this forum! You guys have been incredibly helpful with this hardware. My experience with the unit has been less than pleasant..

Here's my scenario:
On top of the typical features of a wireless router, I purchased the WL-700gE to be my primary Bittorrent client, NAS storrage, and media server (samba, iTunes etc.). At a bare minimum, I want to network the router with Xbox Media Center and some wireless PCs while administering the box using a simple GUI.

So far, I have had NOTHING but trouble getting this thing set-up as a basic router. I cannot access the router via wireless, cannot run the EZsetup utility etc. These problems aside, I'm wondering if this box is the solution for me. Everything I've been reading on these forums (again, thx everyone) has me doubting this unit.

My options (real, perceived or otherwise)
As I see it, I have a couple of options:
- Return the unit and try another piece of hardware. Any suggestions?
- Install 2.0.0.7, but little is known about this firmware.
- Install Kfurge's custom firmware, but I have no idea what the interface will be like when this is installed. Can I still use the web based GUI? Is it all command based? I am unfamiliar with Linux.
- Deal with my disappointment :(

Can anybody offer me any advice? Anything would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Erik

qz3fwd
13-06-2007, 23:44
If you are a computer simpleton, then this router is not for you.:(
If, on the other hand, you know something about computers/networking/software/bittorrent/etc... then it can be a decent router, although the torrent part basically sucks if you pull down GB size torrents.:D Router functionality=OK, NAS functionality=OK for music/images/DVD's but not HD transport streams.

I picked one up from newegg a couple months ago and put in a 750 GB hard drive and have been very happy with the router running the stock firmwares.

Good luck.

Kalev
14-06-2007, 15:05
Thanks qw3fwd.

I am actually pretty good with computers, for the most part. I have absolutely no experience with Linux though..

Regarding Kfurge's custom firmware, if I install this, will the interface be completely command based? or will I be able to use the web-site GUI with any success? Would the new functionality of the firmware be wasted by not using the command prompt?

Even setting-up the custom firmware sounds like a daunting task to a Linux-n00b like me!

Thanks again.

gratitude182
14-06-2007, 16:27
kc firmware is only a modified firmware of the original asus firmware 1.0.4.6 and so the webinterface is the same.
there is a telnet hack enabled and you can then install other programs (switch of some asus programs) on it and start them with rc.local (p.e. dropbear) and you can spin down the internal hd and so on.

http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/wl700ge.html

i have got also no linux knowledge but the instructions are good and many questions on installing the firmware are now answered here in the forum.

grat182

Kalev
14-06-2007, 20:20
A couple more Q's :

- If I installed the custom firmware only, and not the other programs (rc.local etc.) will I still experience a benefit? Will the HD spin-down with out other programs? What other fixes were made in the custom firmware?

- The additional programs, are these entirely command based? Is it worth the trouble setting these up?

- Any other reasons why I should/shouldn't run the custom firmware?

I'm trying to figure out if setting up the custom firmware and additional programs is worth the time/effort/head-smashing-on-the-keyboard that inevitably comes with these things.

Thanks again. You're keeping my faith in the white brick alive!!

LeperKing
14-06-2007, 23:27
A couple more Q's :

- If I installed the custom firmware only, and not the other programs (rc.local etc.) will I still experience a benefit? Will the HD spin-down with out other programs? What other fixes were made in the custom firmware?

You need to read this to understand how the custom firmware works (including rc.local script) ..... http://home.comcast.net/~kfurge/

- The additional programs, are these entirely command based? Is it worth the trouble setting these up?

Some have web ui but still installed through command based configurations. Depends if you're not happy with the stock capabilites.

- Any other reasons why I should/shouldn't run the custom firmware?

I'm trying to figure out if setting up the custom firmware and additional programs is worth the time/effort/head-smashing-on-the-keyboard that inevitably comes with these things.

Thanks again. You're keeping my faith in the white brick alive!!

You're not losing anything switching to Kfurge. You're gaining stability and an open door to adding more functionality.

LK