PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Let ASUS know!

AverySimonsen
20-09-2006, 17:30
From reading other people's posts in these forums, I think the biggest frustration is the complete lack of assurance from ASUS to their customers that things will get better.

The worst thing, we as customers can do, is nothing. So what can we do? There is no use whining and bitching about flaws and bugs in the wl-700g if we haven't actually let ASUS know that we have found these problems. I am sure that they have received many bug-reports, but it is still our sacred duty to continue letting them know that we are unhappy until something is done about the problems. I would not be surprised if ASUS spend their programmer resources in those areas that have the largest number of frustrated customers. Let's make sure that the WL-700gE becomes a high priority with ASUS. All those who care about the usability of their WL-700gE should go to this address:

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

From there you can fill in a proper bug report. So what bugs to report? There are certainly many to choose from. It would be nice if people would post each their prioritized list of problems to have fixed. It wouldn't hurt if ASUS got as many identical bug reports as possible (from different customers that is). The lists are sure to vary greatly as different people want different things from their WL-700gE.

My own prioritized list is as follows:
1) The bittorrent client loses its connection constantly!
2) The bittorrent client loses its connection constantly!!
3) There is no apparent way to control/monitor bandwidth usage
4) There is no way to perform local/internal copying of files on the router.
5) The ddns functionality is too restricted. Why only allow the pre-configured service providers?
6) There is no way to telnet to the router (why would they not want us to do that??)
7) They provide the sources on their site without support. Fair enough, but how about at least a guide to building the thing?

I know there were more things to put in here, but I can't seem to remember them right now. Give us your list and don't forget to send it to ASUS as well!

joop3
20-09-2006, 18:00
Good initiative!

Some things to add:

- no proper manual available describing all features
- permission problems when using different upload methodes (ftp/nfs/samba)
- nfs export is not working properly (sometimes visible sometimes not)
- harddrive never spins down (sleep modus)
- user stays logged in on webpage when closing browser
- transfer speed issues (slow, not constant)

LeperKing
20-09-2006, 18:14
My list:

1) The system log is too sparse. Allow more logging information (eg samba,bt) to go to the system log. It would help everyone know where the bugs lie!

2) The nmbd daemon seems to die after about two days running. I can't access the share through \\wl700ge\myshare1. I have to use \\192.168.1.1\myshare1. A reboot fixes this.

3) What happened to PDC?

4) Allow the HD to sleep.(Eg when samba and BT arn't been used)

5) I'm guessing the manual isn't completed because Asus don't know what features of the 'final' firmware will it have. Please decide soon and finish the manual! Especially the shares managment part!

LK

IMM22
20-09-2006, 20:13
Some more

Por ordem de importancia.

1 - Access point mode is unavaiable
2- Download manager don't work with HTTP FTP and the BT is too slow every time, even if the file as many sources
3- HardDrive never Sleeps
4- WebCAM compatibility, what models?
5- Where is the PDC annouced in first specs?
6- IdTags don't work in ITunes
7- possibilitie to telnet the router
8- Decent user manual
9 - The route don't work in wireless bridge, There is any repeater function, or something like that
10- Since it is so dificult to make BT to work Why not implement edonkey?

11- in the last firmware version when you reset, the router wont start, it is necessary to use the restoration tool

ASUS support like this type of awnser " Your unit as some problem, please send it to any authorized repair center" is the common awnser, and of course people gave some second thought. be advised

Sorry for the English

GerardNL
20-09-2006, 22:21
I have already submitted a problem with the BT 2 weeks ago, but didn't even as much as reply back that they've received it or working on it.

I've just checked the status of my call in the "Technical Inbox" and there is nothing going on with it.

But one of the things that annoys me is that BEFORE I bought the router, there were so many reviews on the internet about it and all of them talk about the BT part of the router. For me that made me decide to buy this particular router. However, it seems that none of these reviewers actually seen the router up close and actually tried it or these reviews would have been not so raving. It just seems that those reviews just copied each other. Next time I will certainly not believe these reviews anymore and make sure I will find a forum like this one to get REAL information about the router.

Instead of submitting these emails to ASUS, why not call the local/european office of ASUS and complain in person? Deleting an email is easy and anonymous. Calling might make more of an impression, specially if we all do that from many different places. What do you think?

LeperKing
21-09-2006, 10:06
And as for your problem,

1. normally the router can have about 250 logs. So for home users, it is enough. Anyway i will pass the information to the related department. And you can also manually save the logs yourselves.

2. You can try upgrading the firmware first and at the same time we will have a test here. Thanks for your understanding.

3. I am wondering here what the PDC means in your opinion. Can you please explain it in detail. Thanks! :)

4. Before HDD could sleep but later due to some reason, this function was modified and now HDD can't sleep. Sorry for the inconvenience.

5. Thanks for the suggestion. We will try our best to do it well. And for more information about WL-700gE, please refer to this link below:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=12&l2=43&l3=0&model=979&modelmenu=1

I've replied to with some further questions. Fingers crossed.

LeperKing
21-09-2006, 12:37
2nd Reply

As for the PDC, we don't get any information from the RD department about this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As for the fourth problem, maybe it depends on how many people demand this function. But if the HDD sleeps, it is hard to wake it up. It needs a special utility.

I also asked them about wondershaper.

i will pass your information to the related department. I think it is a good idea. Thanks! : )

I'd strongly advise taking AverySimonsens advice and using the above feedback link. Just make sure the your feedback is polite, clear and that you're using the latest firmware. No-one responds to whinning or moaning.

Fingers crossed that our feedback will reach the right people.:cool:

LK

GerardNL
21-09-2006, 17:32
I got a reply from ASUS as well.

I reported the problem with the disconnection BT client.

From the reply I see that it may not have been as clear as it could have been.

I've replied to their reply and see what happens.

I also informed them to visit our forum and see that many people here have different problems with their/our router.

Maybe maybe maybe everyone's effort gets them on track again.

joolzg
21-09-2006, 19:50
One other thing we could do is find all sites that allow user reviews and post negative, well let the people know the problems we are having.

joolz

AverySimonsen
21-09-2006, 20:26
One thing to note though, before you stop everyone else from buying this router: The fewer people that buy it, the less resources ASUS will put into fixing its flaws. It's a selfish angle, I know, but think about it :)

I'm really happy to hear that at least some of us are getting replies to the bug reports. Let's hope it's not just sweet talk to keep the customers happy. Let's hope they're actually doing something about it.

Just read up on that wonder shaper system. Sounds like the perfect thing to add to the router. Would add loads of value! It would make the manual configuration of bandwidth limitations redundant.

Perkouw
22-09-2006, 08:11
there are so many things that should have been done like :

~utorrent
~bandwitch limitations trough utorrent or something
~bugs in download master must be fixed, maybe a brand new download master with bandwitch limitation etc. etc. etc.
and NO bugs!

and much much much more.....
this thing wasn't worth my € 250,-!!! i hope they will do something about it because i aint that happy

IMM22
22-09-2006, 13:31
there are so many things that should have been done like :

~utorrent
~bandwitch limitations trough utorrent or something
~bugs in download master must be fixed, maybe a brand new download master with bandwitch limitation etc. etc. etc.
and NO bugs!

and much much much more.....
this thing wasn't worth my € 250,-!!! i hope they will do something about it because i aint that happy

Please send your concerns to:

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

That will be better

joolzg
22-09-2006, 23:07
Just sent another harse reply to their support, lets see what comes back.

Guru
23-09-2006, 02:25
I purchase the Wl 700GE for the BT feature as everyone else:D
But to my surprise it doesn't work very well, my first problem was the internet connection, after 15 min my Download speed would drop to 10kbs and upload to 5kbs from a speed of 5mb/s and 512kbs upload but this problem was fixed with the new fireware update after 1 month of not using the product.
Asus customer support has to be the worst I've seen in 3 years, trying to reach the wireless Dp it's impossible, no one works their, just an answering machine.
Back to the main problem, "Download Master" it's worthless, Bitcomet it's years ahead of it, DM has less then basic features, you can't do anything.
I have 9 torrents and non are downloading"status queued", it's a shame how much little time they put in the software for this product, they should at least give us the option to install a BT program.
A new fireware upgrade it's at least 1 month away of that i'm sure.
I will help the community in anyway I can to improve the software;)

Guru
23-09-2006, 02:26
I purchase the Wl 700GE for the BT feature as everyone else:D
But to my surprise it doesn't work very well, my first problem was the internet connection, after 15 min my Download speed would drop to 10kbs and upload to 5kbs from a speed of 5mb/s and 512kbs upload but this problem was fixed with the new fireware update after 1 month of not using the product.
Asus customer support has to be the worst I've seen in 3 years, trying to reach the wireless Dp it's impossible, no one works their, just an answering machine.
Back to the main problem, "Download Master" it's worthless, Bitcomet it's years ahead of it, DM has less then basic features, you can't do anything.
I have 9 torrents and non are downloading"status queued", it's a shame how much little time they put in the software for this product, they should at least give us the option to install a BT program.
A new fireware upgrade it's at least 1 month away of that i'm sure.
I will help the community in anyway I can to improve the software;)

BarBaar
24-09-2006, 21:54
Euh, I didn't buy the wl700g for BT. Don't use it actually ;)

I bought is because it runs Linux and has a internal harddisk. I figured this would make it an excellent firewall and a good backup system for my Linux server...

But since the firewall is still very buggy and nfs/rsync are not working, it is still pretty useless for me.. and somehow I don't believe this will change..

Should have bought the 500p after all I guess

IMM22
25-09-2006, 09:23
Euh, I didn't buy the wl700g for BT. Don't use it actually ;)

I bought is because it runs Linux and has a internal harddisk. I figured this would make it an excellent firewall and a good backup system for my Linux server...

But since the firewall is still very buggy and nfs/rsync are not working, it is still pretty useless for me.. and somehow I don't believe this will change..

Should have bought the 500p after all I guess

Please send this complain to ASUS tecnical staff. The URL is ob the top of this forun.

Ragan
25-09-2006, 11:47
This is the reply i got from Asus support:

"Yes, we are trying to upload updates as soon as possible to the supportpage."

So either they got alot of complaints and are working their asses off to fix it, or they are tired of the nagging. Probably the worst "support-answer" i have received.

But even though, it gives me a little hope. Seems they are working on it.