PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : how dangerous is nvram command for 32MB ram?

quinn
12-08-2006, 11:56
hello world!

how dangerous is the command to make the full 32MB RAM available?
according to the postings i read i guess there is a 40% chance of damaging my router. this is seriously too high for my taste.
i understand that making changes to the nvram is always a bit of a risk, but this particular change seems to bear quite a risk.

ok, no answers to that. i guess nobody knows. i'll create a poll and then we might find out how many people actually had problems after executing the command

quinn
15-08-2006, 20:29
well, 2 votes is better than no votes. meanwhile i've been strolling around a few other pages. openwrt has a nice forum as well and there are quite a few posts concerning the wl500gp.

i found this "Up to now there don't seem to be any problems with this, but it *might* break your box."

there are quite a few people reporting success and no people reporting problems ... with that particular issue. the quote was posted on 2006-06-01 and nobody as objected to that yet. so it seems quite save to do. i'm having other problems though. i can't even reboot my box. everytime i do reboot i end up in diag mode :-(

sMiLe
16-08-2006, 15:24
Did you try to flash your router before this situation appeared? I had the same problem when the flashing failed. I flashed again, waited some mintues before unplugging the power and pluggin it back in. YOu should also consider to reset the router settings by holding reset >10 sec while it is powered on before flashing the router using the Asus tool.

@the 32MB issue: don't be a chicken and expand your RAM dammit ;)

martin72
16-08-2006, 20:50
well, 2 votes is better than no votes. meanwhile i've been strolling around a few other pages. openwrt has a nice forum as well and there are quite a few posts concerning the wl500gp.

i found this "Up to now there don't seem to be any problems with this, but it *might* break your box."

there are quite a few people reporting success and no people reporting problems ... with that particular issue. the quote was posted on 2006-06-01 and nobody as objected to that yet. so it seems quite save to do. i'm having other problems though. i can't even reboot my box. everytime i do reboot i end up in diag mode :-(

I can only recommend you to do this, an USB HDD for example will be more stable just because there is more memory available.
Just be carefull typing the commands and be VERY SURE you do this only on the WL-500g PREMIUM and NOT on the De Luxe version.

BR

Martin

TVadim
11-09-2006, 13:18
"no, my router didn't work after that" - 1: It is my mistake:(
no problems after commit and reboot :)

Antiloop
11-09-2006, 19:30
"no, my router didn't work after that" - 1: It is my mistake:(
no problems after commit and reboot :)

adjusted it to yes