PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How to safely install new firmwares?

ivo
25-05-2004, 22:36
Hi all,

I come from a wrt54g background - did some custom firmware building there, and learned how to 'safely' install firmwares (using boot_wait nvram option)

What risks do I take when uploading new firmwares to my wl500g? If anything goes wrong, is it hard to recover? I understand there is a script and that asus has some tools - how well do they work?

I don't like to turn my wl500g into an expensive doorstop :)

Oleg
26-05-2004, 12:29
Have you tried searching the forum? :confused:

ivo
26-05-2004, 19:51
I have - I checked the FAQ (empty), searched (lots of hits or I just don't know how to search properly). Lot's of postings - I've browsed through alot, but didn't find any definite answers.

I understand from most postings that it isn't hard to recover, that asus has a tool, etc. But I can't find any specific details anywhere (while it's a pretty important issue with the wrt54g, unless people here just don't mind frying their router :)

Oleg
26-05-2004, 20:09
Try using search for "restoration". There are was number of topics with discussions. That's the first post ever:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=113&highlight=restoration

boot_wait set to on by default on the ASUS routers, also you can force it to enter restoration mode by pressing RESTORE button during power on as described number of times. You will also need to use ASUS utility to perform the restoration.