PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Returned the WL-500g

PascalF
24-04-2004, 09:43
I returned the wl-500g yesterday...

Although i like the router and it is superior to the linksys WRT54G, i think the problems with the firmware and the associated time to fix it make the wl-500g too immature to use it (for).

I really like the work Oleg is doing, but he's just one person.. i am afraid that the day Oleg stops fixing bugs, we'll al be left in dark..

Finally, asus does not seem to respond to complaints or bug reports, and i am not willing to pay a 100 euro's for something that's not working correctly.. I understand a bug or two, but there were simply too much of them..

regards,

Pascal

peteredhair
25-04-2004, 03:37
I'm with you Pascal, and just about to do the same.

Like you said, Oleg is doing a great job and a favour to all of us, but mostly to Asus, which should be paying him to fix their mess.

And they even won't reply to our complaints.

If i don't return it i'll surelly won't advise anyone to buy it.

Pete

Antiloop
25-04-2004, 12:05
the fact is that most standard users don't have ANY problems with it..

note that they are just using standard functions of it..

chase
25-04-2004, 14:54
Originally posted by Antiloop
the fact is that most standard users don't have ANY problems with it..

note that they are just using standard functions of it..

Besides wan port 100Mb hang; and can't support laser (page)printer with LPR mode.......

Well, thanks Oleg fix those bug in RC2(add RAW mode for page printer)

rej
25-04-2004, 17:00
Originally posted by chase and can't support laser (page)printer with LPR mode.......
Well, thanks Oleg fix those bug in RC2(add RAW mode for page printer)
That problem is not solely an Asus problem, all the routers I've had all used LPR printserver.

Anyway I also like the RAW printserver, on the Asus printer with Olegs software, my printing speed has increased ALOT!!! A big thanks to Oleg for the work he put into it (and to Asos for supplying hardware that supports it, none of my other routers could be updated for RAW support).

BR,
René

Antiloop
25-04-2004, 20:40
also the printer thing, it is mostly lack of the manufacturer by supporting standard protocols

e.g. my laserjet 2200DTN (now the laserprinters are cheap, at that time they cost around €1700 and you can't call it a allround printer for the standard user) was supported by the wl500g with LPR over USB port

my Officejet G85 (standard user printer) IS not supported over USB but it is over LPT port, so this is also a lack of protocol support by HP (e.g. more supported protocol do cost money to develop the printer and eventual rights they have to pay for it)

also Linux is still not widely supported by standard-user printers..

chase
26-04-2004, 15:47
Originally posted by rej
That problem is not solely an Asus problem, all the routers I've had all used LPR printserver.

Anyway I also like the RAW printserver, on the Asus printer with Olegs software, my printing speed has increased ALOT!!! A big thanks to Oleg for the work he put into it (and to Asos for supplying hardware that supports it, none of my other routers could be updated for RAW support).

BR,
Ren?

Well, my old SMC AP/Router also use LPR mode, but my HP laserjet and inkjet work very well........

If you ask me why I replace SMC to ASUS?
My SMC hang every 3 day is the major problem.
But after use ASUS, wl500g hang every day, can't print until luckly found this forum, and thanks Oleg again he release RC2 to save all of us......

Antiloop
26-04-2004, 18:59
nah.. smc sucks is my opinion.. we sell it as well at my work
they come back every day..(defective..)