PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : USB 2.5" HDD case

rej
21-04-2004, 20:42
Hi all,

Will the WL-500g be able to run a 2.5" HDD in a USB box without drawing to much current from the power supply? Maybe it is a stupid question but I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks in advance,
René

Styno
22-04-2004, 08:58
External HD's require relatively speaking a lot of power, very much beyond the power supply capabilities of an USB port. Therefore all external USB cases will have their own power supply. Because of the external power supply there would be no need for the external USB case to draw power from the router. So, IF the manufacturer used common sense, the power requirements for an external USB case on the router should be minimal.

rej
22-04-2004, 12:29
Originally posted by Styno Therefore all external USB cases will have their own power supply.
Some 2.5" boxes are supplied by the USB port. But I guess that they require more power than the router can supply.

BR,
René

Technik
22-04-2004, 15:22
The router meets the USB specifications so the attached device can take up to 500mA. There's a reversible fuse (700mA) so you should not damage the router. More likely you could loose some data on the external HDD in case it needs more power (you have to count with peak current).

copycat
22-04-2004, 20:37
I have a 2.5" external HD connected to the router, powered via USB. No problems at all.
Funny thing is that otherwise it only likes to be powered from usb ports directly on the mainboard. I have a powered hub on the front of my pc case but it doesn't like that. Must be a picky device, but it works on the router..

Antiloop
22-04-2004, 20:49
i think the WL500g powers the usb more than normally e.g.: when i connect the same 4port usb hub to my pc and then my (recently died) webcam to it, i got the message it needed more power which it couldn't supply

at my wl500g the webcam worked perfectly without connect powersupply to the usbhub

rej
22-04-2004, 20:58
Originally posted by copycat
I have a 2.5" external HD connected to the router, powered via USB. No problems at all.
Funny thing is that otherwise it only likes to be powered from usb ports directly on the mainboard. I have a powered hub on the front of my pc case but it doesn't like that. Must be a picky device, but it works on the router..
Is the HD running on the router 24/7? does the router get hot? What HD is it?

BR,
René

Styno
22-04-2004, 21:06
Originally posted by rej

BR,
René I have a Samsung V80 160Gb HD (3.5", 5400rpm) connected to the router. Its powered 24/7. The HD doesn't get hot and neither does the router.

copycat
22-04-2004, 21:20
Originally posted by rej

BR,
René

It's a ME-930U2 aluminum enclosure. See the compatibility thread for hd enclosures. 20 Gig HD inside, toshiba I think.
Router and HD are cool all the time.
Biggest advantage for me is that it is a quiet solution.