PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : interesting link

wpte
18-10-2008, 21:34
I found the website of linux from scratch
http://trac.cross-lfs.org/

on this site they have a free book wich explains how to build a cross compiled os:D
as far as I can see, its not yet written for mipsel, but i guess it'll be possible to create your own linux from scratch:)

I always liked the idea of a complete linux on an asus router, since olegs firmware isn't going that far, and there are a lot of limitations:(
might come handy of one of my future projects:p

newbiefan
20-10-2008, 22:33
I always liked the idea of a complete linux on an asus router, since olegs firmware isn't going that far, and there are a lot of limitations:(

eehmmm - which limitations?

Anyway, I go along with you, if you meant an updated (missing) howto for a complete cross compiling evironment. There are many howtos out there, non of all the stuff worked for me - one of the main problem is the missing documentation of hardware and software. Sometimes it's more as hard to find just a regular wiki or howto. And it really hurts, that some software needs to be recompiled when updating olegs fw.
Hence, what I would suggest is a documentation project, it would revalue Olegs efforts to build a better fw for our beloved asus. Well, if such project would revive, I would like to play a part of it - at least my two cents.:p

I'm absolutely convinced, that a pretty good documentation would allow to start further development, as well as supporting Olegs efforts to change to kernel 2.6 - which is a pretty hard job.

thE_29
21-10-2008, 13:15
Oleg wants to port the firmware to kernel 2.6?
This would be great ;)

wpte
21-10-2008, 15:44
Oleg wants to port the firmware to kernel 2.6?
This would be great ;)

as far as I know, oleg doesn't want to do that...
I do want to try it out, but some things have to be left out because the mipsel architecture doesnt support everything that well.
maybe I also want to try to implement the new EXT4 wich is going to be released soon :D

dunno yet, got some ideas, the way it should work, in a way you won't need to update firmware anymore.

but I still get some linux for embedded devices next year of my education, computer science, maybe i can make something usefull with it:)