PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : users disapeared (KC 1.0.7.8 firm)

twins
07-10-2008, 20:51
Hi

today I found I had no root and no users (I use USBA) on my wl700gE.
If I try to add a user on the web interface it tells me "the user was created". I press "ok" button, the page reloads and says "there are no users", which is true. There is no root either. I can only telnet with "admin". What could be happening to my brick?

twins
07-10-2008, 21:38
I have reinstalled the firmware. Everything is as previously. Services like mldonkey are runing, still no root. How do I create the root user? does this question make sense? Can anybody help?

twins
08-10-2008, 20:53
Hey, this site is really helpfull :(
I'll keep talking to myself.......

So, whatever idea I come up with, I need to be root. Since I can not be root, only admin, I was thinking maybe I should "hard reset" the router and start all over again.
So, I have two questions for you to ignore:
1) How do I reset the router? I believe I have to clean the nvram, since a firmware upgrade didn't work.
2) Will I loose the files on the hard disk? This could be a problem, since I have important files in the disk and so far I couldn't get them. Only the vanished users could access the shares, I can not create a new user, I can't get to the files as admin.

twins

back2basic
09-10-2008, 14:28
You can try to hold the reset button on the back. hold it for over 10 sec. the ready light will start blinking.
this should reset you re device.

I had the same problem with the user accounts so I revert my box to openwrt ;)

twins
09-10-2008, 15:30
You can try to hold the reset button on the back. hold it for over 10 sec. the ready light will start blinking.
this should reset you re device.

I had the same problem with the user accounts so I revert my box to openwrt ;)

Hey, there's life in this forum after all :p
I could do that. But I wonder if that will erase my files. If it erases my files, first I will have to remove the disk and copy the files to a PC (using the method I've seen somewhere in this forum...). Removing the disk would be a nice excuse to put a proper one in the brick. On the other hand it will be too much trouble, and I'm still not sure it is worth it (reliability of the firmware, mldonkey too slow both download and upload(!?!?what the heck!?!?)).
So, can you tell me if it is safe for the files to reset the router?

Thank you

Twins

angrybob100
09-10-2008, 21:09
Funny, exactly the same thing happened to me today.

HD wont mount, cant log in or su to root (no passwd entry for root).

Wondering what action I can take with no root password.

I think without the HD its screwed. I am using kcfurge firmware 1.0.7.8

twins
09-10-2008, 23:28
Funny, exactly the same thing happened to me today.

HD wont mount, cant log in or su to root (no passwd entry for root).

Wondering what action I can take with no root password.

I think without the HD its screwed. I am using kcfurge firmware 1.0.7.8

Ah.... I feel so not alone :)
Sorry, couldn't help it........:rolleyes:
I'm also using Kcf 1.0.7.8. My HD is mounted, the shares are there, just no users to access the shares. I can not create new users on the web interface. I can login as admin but no root (no passwd entry for root). Allready uploaded the firmware, but no luck.

twins

angrybob100
10-10-2008, 08:24
A full hard reset got me back a root user. IT reverted to the standard asus firmware. Before that I couldnt even su to root

For some reason my hd wont mount automatically still, which means nothign really works properly. I can mount it manually and see my stuff. I will probably start a second thread on this topic.

joe12345
10-10-2008, 08:43
Hello,
I have the same Problem with the Users. I did this:

1. I flash the this file "flash.trx" (you see it at the end of this site)
How to do this: http://wl700g.homelinux.net/portal/content/view/30/30/
Instead of "openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx" you take "flash.trx"
If you have windoof (alias windows) be shure that you installed tftp. You can
find it in the software section of windows.
2. Then I installed "kcfurge firmware 1.0.7.8_02" per webinterface or asus firmware restore soft.
3. After that you go to the webinterface and you make ALL the settings. You create also users and shared directories etc....
4. And then you use telnet.

I hope it helps you.

Joe

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I am from Germany

Edit: You won't loose any files!!!!
Edit: Download: http://www.wl500g.info/files/asus/custom/kfurge/flash.trx

twins
11-10-2008, 14:58
Hello,
I have the same Problem with the Users. I did this:

1. I flash the this file "flash.trx" (you see it at the end of this site)
How to do this: http://wl700g.homelinux.net/portal/content/view/30/30/
Instead of "openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx" you take "flash.trx"
If you have windoof (alias windows) be shure that you installed tftp. You can
find it in the software section of windows.
2. Then I installed "kcfurge firmware 1.0.7.8_02" per webinterface or asus firmware restore soft.
3. After that you go to the webinterface and you make ALL the settings. You create also users and shared directories etc....
4. And then you use telnet.

I hope it helps you.

Joe

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I am from Germany

Edit: You won't loose any files!!!!
Edit: Download: http://www.wl500g.info/files/asus/custom/kfurge/flash.trx

Ok. I get a timeout when trying to flash the flash.trx file using tftp. I can ping the router though. Still, after many reboots, resets and such, I can not create users.
Any ideas? on how to flash the flash.trx or something different to try?

twins

twins
13-10-2008, 10:16
Ok. I get a timeout when trying to flash the flash.trx file using tftp. I can ping the router though. Still, after many reboots, resets and such, I can not create users.
Any ideas? on how to flash the flash.trx or something different to try?

twins

Hey, just to say I got the router back (I can be root). It seems the timeout is the proper answer when flashing the flash.trx. I installed the Kc 1.0.7.8 and everything is working.
Thanks for all the people who helped.

Got another question. I remember reading somewhere (I think K. furge himeself wrote) that killing a certain process would help the firmware stability. I can't remember which process and I can't find the post. Does anyone know which process is?

twins

joe12345
14-10-2008, 10:35
I think you mean this one: http://wl700g.homelinux.net/portal/content/view/23/28/

Joe

angrybob100
18-10-2008, 15:54
Damn it just happened to me again.

HD doesnt mount (after i spent a week restoring everything) and now it doesnt mount again and therefore I cant log in as root to remount the damn thing.

Anyone know of a quick fix where I wont lose files nor settings?