PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Automated backup on wl700ge?

AverySimonsen
13-08-2008, 15:22
I have connected a 250 gb usb harddrive to my router. My plan is to do regular incremental backup on the usb hdd and I figured it a simple task to set up a backup script.

Unfortunately I'm no bash scripting wizard and so when I google for backup scripts I always come up with the same result: scripts that use the -N tar flag which handles the incremental part of the backup automatically. That looked just fine until I realized that the busybox tar doesn't support -N (according to man anyway).

So my question is: What is the best way to do regular incremental backup unto a usb hdd from the wl700ge?

kfurge
16-08-2008, 03:27
You can install the "industrial strength" tar as an ipkg package.

- K.C.

sonic
16-08-2008, 17:33
maybe help.
HOWTO: installing rsnapshot - incrementa backup utility using rsync (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=67312)

AverySimonsen
26-08-2008, 20:35
You can install the "industrial strength" tar as an ipkg package.

- K.C.

Heh .. I thought there was a full tar and so I skimmed through 'ipkg list' .. and somehow missed it. Saw your tip, grep'ed ipkg list against 'tar' and presto! Thx for the tip, kfurge, you're the man. ;)

Got a nice simple automatic script running every night now. If anybody wants to do something similar, the script can be found if you google 'simplebashbu' (as in simple bash backup). Takes minutes to set up.

I had a look at rsnapshot, but the simple script seemed way easier to set up. Also it doesn't have any weird dependencies .. other than the full gnutar that is - and that's a useful thing to have anyway :)