PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Stuck in a reboot cycle :(

Maccro
23-07-2008, 16:27
Last night our power went out several times. I noticed in the morning that my router was on (I generally turn it off at night). It must have powered up each time the power came back on. Anyhow, this morning it worked for about an hour, then rebooted on me. Now it's just stuck in a reboot cycle. It powers up, I see it do the usual HD scan, the WAN and AIR lights flicker as usual, I can even ping it for a minute, but the ready light never comes on. The HD flicks a few more times, then it must reboot as the WAN and AIR lights go solid and it does it's HD scan again. Any idea how I can get out of this loop so I can fix the thing?

Thanks!

Update:

I got it working (only partially). I pressed and held the reset while rebooting the router. This got me back in action, but the router was set back into Password Based Share Access(PBSA). I tried to User Based Share Access(UBSA), as I had it before, and the router immediately went back into it's reboot cycle. Arg! Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I tried reflashing kfurge's latest custom firmware...I tried taking all but the essentials out of the rc.local. What else?

mumsoft
24-07-2008, 14:34
Last night our power went out several times. I noticed in the morning that my router was on (I generally turn it off at night). It must have powered up each time the power came back on.

That's why I also remove the power cord after turning it 'off'. That way it uses 0 W, otherwise it still takes > 5W

Update:

I got it working (only partially). I pressed and held the reset while rebooting the router. This got me back in action, but the router was set back into Password Based Share Access(PBSA). I tried to User Based Share Access(UBSA), as I had it before, and the router immediately went back into it's reboot cycle. Arg! Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I tried reflashing kfurge's latest custom firmware...I tried taking all but the essentials out of the rc.local. What else?

Not that I'm an expert is this... But have you tried to stop loading the rc.local when the power led blinks three times?
I you do that, and the rebooting stops, than it is sure that something in rc.local causes the grief. I expect that it is the last section:
# Fix passwd and groups files
/opt/etc/init.kc/fix_passwd.sh
/opt/etc/init.kc/fix_group.sh
If you reload the factory default you get the PBSA, in which no reboot takes place (as you tell). Then examine the fix scripts for any problem they might encounter.

Keep in mind, I'm just guessing.

Marc

Maccro
24-07-2008, 23:19
Unfortunately that doesn't do it. I tried removing the two bash scripts, and I also tried renaming the rc.local so that it wouldn't run. Either way I still get stuck in the loop. Thanks though, appreciate the suggestions. Keep 'em coming :).

One additional piece of info: The ready light never comes on, so I have no opportunity to stop loading the rc.local.

That's why I also remove the power cord after turning it 'off'. That way it uses 0 W, otherwise it still takes > 5W

Not that I'm an expert is this... But have you tried to stop loading the rc.local when the power led blinks three times?
I you do that, and the rebooting stops, than it is sure that something in rc.local causes the grief. I expect that it is the last section:
# Fix passwd and groups files
/opt/etc/init.kc/fix_passwd.sh
/opt/etc/init.kc/fix_group.sh
If you reload the factory default you get the PBSA, in which no reboot takes place (as you tell). Then examine the fix scripts for any problem they might encounter.

Keep in mind, I'm just guessing.

Marc

mumsoft
25-07-2008, 21:28
Unfortunately that doesn't do it. I tried removing the two bash scripts, and I also tried renaming the rc.local so that it wouldn't run. Either way I still get stuck in the loop. Thanks though, appreciate the suggestions. Keep 'em coming :).

One additional piece of info: The ready light never comes on, so I have no opportunity to stop loading the rc.local.

1. Please don't answer above my comments, that's the ugly outlook way.
2. Maybe you could try this:
http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=105134&postcount=5
but first look at all the postings there:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=14752
If not absolutely necessary don't wipe out your harddisk.

i don't know if reflashing with the old .TRX file will work, but you never know (and it also could give you more trouble)

Marc

kfurge
06-08-2008, 04:01

Yep. I've experienced this exact problem on at least two occasions.

To fix it, you need to scrub out at least everything in /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc while in PBSA mode. Reboot the router, switch modes, and add all your users back.

- K.C.