PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : get a ps3 to play a video stored on the wl-700ge ?

nice
10-06-2008, 19:52
is there any way to get a ps3 to play a video, that is stored on my wl-700ge..
but,please not with a linux on the ps3, then i would have large black edges (just an sd-tv)

ok, over the media-server, at least mpegs go... but avis and such files ?

Henrikh
12-06-2008, 11:42
but,please not with a linux on the ps3, then i would have large black edges (just an sd-tv)

Have you installed Kfurges firmware? If that is the case, you'll just need to install uShare:

ipkg install ushare

After this you will need to modify /opt/etc/ushare.conf :)

You can find more info at http://ushare.geexbox.org/

nice
12-06-2008, 14:27
i have the original firmware.. a modded firmware seems to be to much work, i think

Henrikh
12-06-2008, 23:12
Well, im pretty sure the original firmwares media server is not DLNA compliant, so it probably won't work with your PS3. And without the custom firmware you won't be able to install new utilities.

Kfurges 1.0.7.8 firmware is not that big a hastle to install, but if you have no linux experience at all, you will need to learn som basic linux commands. Go search google for some basic linux tutorials, and then follow the instructions here for installing kfurges custom firmware:
http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/134

Michele Spinolo
13-06-2008, 01:11
by your experience is uShare better than Twonky?

Henrikh
13-06-2008, 08:06
by your experience is uShare better than Twonky?

I haven't tried Twonky, im way too cheap to pay for something that can be done for free, so i can't say :-)

But for me uShare is working nicely. I only use it to stream AVIs to my Xbox 360. And it does a fantastic job doing that. It is very, very simple to set up. Took me about 5 minutes or so. But if you plan on using it for streaming audio, i have heard that it's not very effective, since uShare does not support virtual folders (can't read the tags and create virtual folders from "artist", "album" and so on). It will just follow the folder structure you have created.

You should be able to solve this though, by using iTunes to index your music, which will then sort it in directories accoring to artist, album and so on. Just mount the music folder on the Wl700gE as a network drive, then you can put iTunes "home folder" on that drive, and viola :-)

Alternatively, you can try FUPPES out, which support these virtual folders. I never susseced in setting up FUPPES though, seems to be quite a hassle compared to uShare.

bkbread
07-12-2008, 00:07
im using twonky on my xbox 360 everything installed while but when i go on my xbox to listen to my music its not there just there 10 sec sounds. before on my windows xp all i had to do was put my songs in my music file then it would be on my xbox 360 music library but I did that on my ubuntu and i can't find my songs on my xbox 360.

Bsus
26-12-2008, 13:13

Install lighttpd webserver and enable directory listing so your PS3 web browser will see the videos. When you click on a video link in your PS3 web browser, the video will start playing. It's a quick and dirty way of playing videos on PS3. Media servers are too slow and resource hungry when indexing files.

[EDIT: Oops! Just realised you don't want to install third party firmware. In that case, bad luck!]

nice
19-04-2009, 01:13
if there would be an easy alternate firmware without configuring all in weeks, i wouldnt have a problem with alternates.. but it seems, no one has ever made a consumer-friendly firmware-mod with some most used services like http/mldonkey preinstalled :o