PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Set Up Belkin N1 Vision (Master) WL700 (Slave) ?

Jorgee
29-05-2008, 13:15
Hello Sirs,

My first post. Hope this is a friendly forum. And yes, i do know how to use the search tool :D

I just got a call from the house (im at work now) that my DHL package has arrived with the WL-700ge in it. It's not yet lunch time and i wanna go home and call in "sick" :rolleyes: Can't wait to get home and open the package.

I also just bought a Belkin N1 Vision about a month ago but haven't opened it up yet.

Here is what I will do and if anything is wrong or any suggestion to make the setup better, please do tell.

Oh, i've never used Linux so i will probably be lost for a while regarding upgrading the firmware as i believe most of the "hacking" involves linux commands.

1. I have a Thomson Cable Modem with 1 RJ-45 Port.
2. I will connect this port to the WAN port of the Belkin.
3. I will connect a Straight cable from LAN4 of the Belkin to LAN4 of the Asus.
4. I will turn off DHCP of the ASUS and assign it a static IP address in the range of the Belkin but outside what it gives out automatically via its DHCP server.

Is this correct?

I would like to use the Belkin router between my cable modem and the Asus because it is Draft-n (which my laptop uses) and that the Wired ports are GBit like my desktop. I believe this means that i will get fast speed transfering files to and from the computer. Will the ASUS work with all the functions even if it is setup as a Slave/AP? Functions such as web server, ftp server, itues server, downloading using Asus' Download master?

It sounds too complicated for me but will update you how it goes. Hopefully by this weekend i will have it up and running.

Thanks for your patience for n00bs,

Jorge

mumsoft
29-05-2008, 22:25
1. I have a Thomson Cable Modem with 1 RJ-45 Port.
2. I will connect this port to the WAN port of the Belkin.
3. I will connect a Straight cable from LAN4 of the Belkin to LAN4 of the Asus.
4. I will turn off DHCP of the ASUS and assign it a static IP address in the range of the Belkin but outside what it gives out automatically via its DHCP server.

Is this correct?

I would like to use the Belkin router between my cable modem and the Asus because it is Draft-n (which my laptop uses) and that the Wired ports are GBit like my desktop. I believe this means that i will get fast speed transfering files to and from the computer. Will the ASUS work with all the functions even if it is setup as a Slave/AP? Functions such as web server, ftp server, itues server, downloading using Asus' Download master?

It sounds too complicated for me but will update you how it goes. Hopefully by this weekend i will have it up and running.

Thanks for your patience for n00bs,

Jorge

Jorge, I have a similar setup. It works, but I must stress that I only use Twonky to serve music wirelessly to some clients. No xxx server, no downloads. I might change that in the future though.

Now for your setup: I believe that one 100 MHz connection (to the Asus) will force the other 1GHz connections to have the same slow speed. The same goes for the wireless speed. But you should check this, I'm not sure. If the belkin is actually a switch, than it will give all ports their own speed. Again, not sure.

I also configured the Asus DHCP-server, because I want my clients to get automatic ip addresses and so. I also want them to get internet connections for internet radio and updates. For this you must specify the address of the belkin as default gateway address in the IP Config - DHCP Server section of the asus. Also specify here a fixed DNS server 1 (the DNS server 2 is fixed to the ip-address of the Asus itself and can't be changed).
In the IP Config - WAN & LAN section, specify 2 fixed DNS servers and disable 'Get DNS Server automatically?' because there is no WAN connection.
Give your Asus a fixed address in the same network as your Belkin. I have 10.1.1.251/24 for the one and 10.1.1.252/24 for the other.

I think this is about it...

Good luck
Marc