PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL-700GE arrived broken?

Michele Spinolo
29-03-2008, 07:38
Dear All,

I bought a brand new WL-700gE but I am not able to connect to it. It seems it's broken or it has some Hard disk problem.
In fact when I plug it to the power line it boots, I can hear the Hard disk spinning then it starts doing a strange noise coming from the hard disk (to-tloc, to-tloc...) continuosly.
Power button has no effect, the same for EZSetup button. The only button which seems to work is Reset one which shutdown the unit but the same story happens when it power up again.

I can ping by CMD to 192.168.1.1 but I can't connect both by any browser or EZSetup utility.

How can I solve the problem?

Kind regards,
Michele Spinolo:mad:

Michele Spinolo
29-03-2008, 13:01
ok, it was the HD: I substitute it with an old 40gigs formatted with ReiserFS and flashed Asus 1.0.7.8.
It works now:)

IMHO it's quite a shame I got a brand new unit with a HD broken...:(
Here in Italy is a mess when you want to take advantage of your warranty: I mailed asus...let's see what's happen.

In the meanwhile I think I will look on ebay for a brand new HD. Any suggestion about size/brand of a new HD?

mumsoft
29-03-2008, 13:58
ok, it was the HD: I substitute it with an old 40gigs formatted with ReiserFS and flashed Asus 1.0.7.8.
It works now:)

IMHO it's quite a shame I got a brand new unit with a HD broken...:(
Here in Italy is a mess when you want to take advantage of your warranty: I mailed asus...let's see what's happen.

In the meanwhile I think I will look on ebay for a brand new HD. Any suggestion about size/brand of a new HD?

I agree it's a shame, but shit happens... I live in Holland, and if this had happened to me, I could get a new unit from the (web)shop. Garantee must come from the shop, not from Asus. You deal with the shop, not with Asus directly.
But unfortunately I don't live in Italy...
Now you have taken out the HD, I think you lost your garantee.

For a new HD you should opt for a silent one, and if you think about mirroring, take in acount that the second HD should be at least as big as the first. Start at 250GB. The Asushas some limitation, I thought it could handle 1,5 TB at most (so 750GB per disk, when mirroring)

Regards,
Marc

Michele Spinolo
30-03-2008, 02:21
Ciao marc,

the fact is I opened the top cover of the router and warranty sealing were already broken so...replacing or not the HD wouldn't change anything in my situation. This to me is a shame too!

In italy there's a law which garantees a 7days money back when you buy online (even if the unit is perfect, just in case you cahnge your mind), but having monay back from a shop is another matter of fact.

Obviously I requested the substitution: let's see on monday what kind of reply I receive.

In the meanwhile I am lloking for a 750gigs HD, a silent one is a must as you observed.
Which brand? model? I am really not an expert...

mumsoft
30-03-2008, 12:56
Ciao marc,

the fact is I opened the top cover of the router and warranty sealing were already broken so...replacing or not the HD wouldn't change anything in my situation. This to me is a shame too!

Weird... But when I first opened my brick the seals were already half broken. They break when you sniff too hard :(
Anyway it is suspicious. What brand & capacity is it?

In italy there's a law which garantees a 7days money back when you buy online (even if the unit is perfect, just in case you cahnge your mind), but having monay back from a shop is another matter of fact.

I think that's a European law. Not sure though. Here in Holland the same rule applies.
My own experience with this is rather good; now I tend to buy everything from just one shop because they served me well.

In the meanwhile I am lloking for a 750gigs HD, a silent one is a must as you observed.

I'm neither. Maybe someone with hands-on experience will reply.

Regards,
Marc

Henrikh
30-03-2008, 15:16
Ciao marc,

You should probably check out Western Digitals Green Power series. They operate at what Western Digital specifies as 5400R RPM+, and are therefore a bit slower than a normal drive. But they use considerable less power, and therefore generate less heat. You can even get them as "Raid edition" drives which are certified for 24/7 use and with a 5 year warranty.

If you need some a little less expensive, the Samsung F1 series also have a low power consumption, and Samsung drives are generally pretty quiet :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/21/samsung_overtakes_with_a_bang/page10.html#drive_surface_temperature

Sad to hear that your shops suck that much. In Denmark we have 14 days money-back guarantee, as long as the product haven't been treated in a way that has considerable lowered its value (Which means that you can actually buy e.g. a computer, use it for 13 days, and then return it ;-))

Michele Spinolo
05-04-2008, 13:40
trying to get a new one on warranty:rolleyes:

On monday I will ship it back hoping they will send me back a brand new one.
Hope it won't take a month!:mad:

lifecom
13-04-2008, 10:29
http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/?q=node/54