PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : ANY IDEA? Cross-compiling for the wl700ge

neil
28-01-2008, 10:00
Has anyone ever tried cross-compiling for the wl700ge? i.e. compiling on a linux/windows box in such a way that the 'executable' can be copied and run on the asus?

I seem to be finding a lot of cases where features i need are not in the optware versions available, because they're out of date, and hence compiling from source code. this is v. slow on the asus, and it'd be handy to do this on a PC (pref under windows, presumably under cygwin or similar) so i can run it in the background at work, and then test on the asus when i get home, rather than waiting all evening for something to compile on the white brick.

I think this would be a useful tool for many of us, and could open up more options beyond the optware packages...

thoughts anyone?

al37919
28-01-2008, 10:45
actually, I don't understand your question, or you don't understand what is optware ;)

Optware provides a framework for cross-compilation which includes toolchain, libraries etc. If you need a package (let's call it target) which is not yet in the optware you should get its sources, create target.mk file and patches (if required) and say "make target-ipk"

If you think the packages are outdated, the task is even much simplified. You need to edit already existing target.mk file and compile a fresh version you want to.

You can install a free vmware-server and linux in it. In principle you might even try to install optware onto cygwin. I think there is a chance that it might work.

Finally:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/AddAPackageToOptware

neil
28-01-2008, 10:58
actually, I don't understand your question, or you don't understand what is optware

...actually i think its the latter :rolleyes:

thanks; i hadn't realised that's the way it works: makes everything a darn sight easier! i'll follow the link and read up on it, but i assume there's nothing special in olegs packages for mipsel? and is there any step-by-step instructions on settings everything up? - if its all in the link you sent, then just ignore me as i haven't read through it all yet!!

now off to install vmware-server+linux, and we'll take it from there

al37919
28-01-2008, 11:07
in this sence "oleg" is just one of the platforms supported by optware.
Full list is quite impressive http://trac.nslu2-linux.org/optware/browser/trunk/platforms

neil
29-01-2008, 21:21
Many thanks again...

Having spent a fruitful day installing vmware/debian on my winXP laptop, I can successfully compile 'which' for the asus. and it runs! woohoo!

ok, so its taken A LONG time to get to this point, but it runs; nothing was overly complicated - the link you pointed to runs you through what packages you need to install on the debian VM, it just takes forever to compile the toolchain!

so, having done that, i was able to take it up a notch: successfully compiled the optware package for fuppes (my current pet project - see other postings); i tried to build the latest fuppes from subversion by this method - it does so ok (apart from a small code error "std::atoll() needs to become atoll()" but thats by-the-by) but i can't actually get a single 'executable' at the end of it - i guess a lot of messing with the fuppes.mk is necessary but this beyond me, as is getting the library dependencies right as fuppes uses pkg-config to work out what's been installed, but of course they won't have been because they might just have been compiled. darn my lack of Makefile prowess...but all is progress nonetheless.

next up: getting latest cups to compile for print server support