PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Noise and replacement harddrives

monnier
27-11-2007, 03:52
I'm considering buying one of those WL-700g units to replace my current
wrtsl54gs+usb-drive but am concerned about two things:
1 - how noisy is it? My current setup has no fan, whereas the wl-700g seems to have a fan on the powersupply. The unit would be most likely in the living room where even a light whispering noise can be annoying.
2 - the other problem with the unit is the PATA interface: I'd like to replace the internal disk with a 2.5" (consumes less and is less noisy) but PATA drives in the 2.5" factor only go up to 120GB (I need around 200GB) and the future is rather bleak in the PATA world. So I was wondering: does the PATA interface in the wl-700g support 2 drives (a master and a slave) so that I could put two 2.5" drives?

back2basic
27-11-2007, 21:49
1: The WL700gE has no fan inside so the only thing ya hear is the hdd spinning and racking when its working
2: It has as 3,5 inch hdd 160 or 250 Gb inside

Grtzzz

monnier
07-12-2007, 21:33
1: The WL700gE has no fan inside so the only thing ya hear is the hdd spinning and racking when its working
Oh, great! Thanks.

2: It has as 3,5 inch hdd 160 or 250 Gb inside
Yes, I know. But I'd like to replace it with 2 laptop drives: there should be
plenty of space and power, but that will only work if the provided PATA interface supports the usual master&slave drives.

kfurge
22-12-2007, 03:45
It's PATA and should support just fine a master/slave pair, though I haven't tried.

- K.C.

i.car
26-12-2007, 18:20
The unit would be most likely in the living room where even a light whispering noise can be annoying.

Forget it. The brick is very noisy and you will hear the spinning of the HDD even meters and rooms away .... If I could I would bring it back for cash ......

back2basic
27-12-2007, 00:25
The unit would be most likely in the living room where even a light whispering noise can be annoying.

Forget it. The brick is very noisy and you will hear the spinning of the HDD even meters and rooms away .... If I could I would bring it back for cash ......

My filesystem is on a usb stick(kamikaze 7.09) so my hdd only spins when I access it trough samba or when its downloading nzb's :cool:. So mine doesn't makes any noise most of the time. when the hdd is replaced with a 2.5" drive it is even quiter I think.

kfurge
27-12-2007, 03:56
Forget it. The brick is very noisy and you will hear the spinning of the HDD even meters and rooms away ....

What!?! How big are your ears? ;-)

I can barely hear the HDD spinning when in the same room. Meters / rooms away? I doubt it. When I put the HDD into power-save spin mode, I have to have my ear within 10-20cm to hear it at all in nearly dead quiet room.

- K.C.

P.S. I work in the audio industry and have recently had my hearing tested, so I know for a fact both ears are working well.

i.car
27-12-2007, 08:11
What!?! How big are your ears? ;-)

I can barely hear the HDD spinning when in the same room. Meters / rooms away? I doubt it. When I put the HDD into power-save spin mode, I have to have my ear within 10-20cm to hear it at all in nearly dead quiet room.

Actually, I can hear the spinning and specially cracking in the sleepingroom while the brick is located in the hallway some 12 m away ... and the door is just open (not wide open) ... but ok, I may allways close the door ....

xmeister
27-12-2007, 08:43
There must be something wrong with the drive or maybe it's a noisy model? I have the 250gig model, the web interface says it's HDT722525DLAT80 (Hitachi Deskstar), and it's very quiet, barely notice it. It only makes a bit of noise when it 'spins up' and needs to do something, but it's not noticable.

Maybe if it's still under warranty try and get it swapped.

X

i.car
28-12-2007, 16:18
There must be something wrong with the drive or maybe it's a noisy model? I have the 250gig model, the web interface says it's HDT722525DLAT80 (Hitachi Deskstar), and it's very quiet, barely notice it. It only makes a bit of noise when it 'spins up' and needs to do something, but it's not noticable.

Maybe if it's still under warranty try and get it swapped.

X

My is a ST3250824A Supports ATA Version 7 .... is this a Seagate one ?

Thanks

pooz
23-02-2009, 00:30
Hi,

I wonder why my HDD is frequently beeing accessed? The IDE LED showing up indicates, that there are a lot of HDD access (and you hear it very clear: an additional accessing-hdd-sound ontop of the regular spinnging sound) . Curiously it startet 2 days ago. I even didnīt change any settings.

I didnīt setup any kind of server, e.g. not FTP, no WWW, it is just for surfing via W-LAN

Since I didnīt get it managed, to spin down after no use after a while, I accepted the fact, that the drive is spinning the whole time. Ok, thats okey for now. But why are there a lot of HDD access?

Even I disabled the access of the router from WAN, I am now VERY afraid, that somebody maybe could have hacked into my router and is copying all my data :confused::confused::confused:

Or is there another reason?

I have the kfurge Firmware installed. Unfortunately this router is in use by my friend in another city (sheīs not familiar with computer-stuff), so I cant have direct access to it personally.

Please, I would be glad, If someone could help me out.

Thank you very much!

freischi
03-03-2009, 01:03
Maybe MLdonkey is running?

Even without downloading this causes a lot of HD activity on my box.
If you telnet into the router and use top -n 9 you can check if mlnet.lite is listed.

mouthman
17-03-2009, 11:12
Hi,

I wonder why my HDD is frequently beeing accessed? The IDE LED showing up indicates, that there are a lot of HDD access (and you hear it very clear: an additional accessing-hdd-sound ontop of the regular spinnging sound) . Curiously it startet 2 days ago. I even didnīt change any settings.

I didnīt setup any kind of server, e.g. not FTP, no WWW, it is just for surfing via W-LAN

Since I didnīt get it managed, to spin down after no use after a while, I accepted the fact, that the drive is spinning the whole time. Ok, thats okey for now. But why are there a lot of HDD access?

Even I disabled the access of the router from WAN, I am now VERY afraid, that somebody maybe could have hacked into my router and is copying all my data :confused::confused::confused:

Or is there another reason?

I have the kfurge Firmware installed. Unfortunately this router is in use by my friend in another city (sheīs not familiar with computer-stuff), so I cant have direct access to it personally.

Please, I would be glad, If someone could help me out.

Thank you very much!

I'm having the same issue. A lot of HDD access, the ide led blinking constantly and the unit responding sluggishly. Its almost impossibly to access data but normal router usage is no problem. A soft reset does the trick, but of course this is awkward and not the way I want to use my brick.

Is anyone else having this problem and know of a solution?

Thank you.