PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL-HDD just NTFS-read NOT NTFS-write!?

gerardwr
02-11-2004, 18:35
For documentation purposes. I want to report the following.

I have installed an old notebook disk in my my WL-HDD. Reading from the drive was OK, writing to it impossible. XP reports that the disk is protected.

I checked, and the disk was NTFS formatted.

I reformatted the disk with FAT32 and now it can be accessed both as Read and Write.

I am not sure if this behaviour can be declared by the firmware experts on this fine forum, but my conclusion is that only NTFS read is supported in the WL-HDD, and NOT NTFS-write.

Any ideas?

Kind regards from gerard.

hugo
02-11-2004, 18:48
Well done. I've come to the same conclusion by reading the manual :D

FYI, NTFS is proprietary to Microsoft, any Linux write support is still considered as beta, as you cannot be sure to read back your data with Windows.

Anyway, this is not really a problem if you don't want to switch your hard drive between wl-hdd and a laptop, as you can use ext3fs which is equivalent in reliability

JOCKYW2001
02-11-2004, 19:00
The 1.1.2.8 kernel has experimental write support. The prev versions only read. I haven't tried NTFS though.

gerardwr
03-11-2004, 07:54
Hugo is absolutely right, the fact that only NTFS read is supported is indeed in the manual, shame on me (red in the face).

A hopeless attempt in my defense:
- who reads the manual anyway
- it's on THE LAST page of the manual

Anyhow, for the moment I will stick to the freshly FAT32 formatted disk.

Perhaps it's about time I upgraded the ASUS delivered firmware to the 1.1.2.8 kernel that YOCKYW2001 mentioned.

kookaburra
21-12-2004, 18:31
is the firmware 1.2.30 can write NTFS now?

what's the max size for FAT32?