PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Samba on WAN

trogdorix
11-10-2007, 20:37
I would like to use my WL-700 for Network Shares without it being the router for the network. Is there any way I can access the Samba shares on the WAN side?

(I am currently using the 1.0.7.8 firmware, but would not mind switching to custom firmware if necessary, and want access for XP and Vista machines.)

sollie
12-10-2007, 08:53
why not using the ftp-server.

tiwag
12-10-2007, 13:22
why not using the ftp-server.

maybe because typical Windozers do not know how to use ftp ?

trogdorix
12-10-2007, 14:44
I am currently using the ftp, but windows doesn't let you mount ftp as drive letters without using third party software.
The reason I'm looking for drive letter mounting is that DC++ wants drive letter type access for network shares.

kfurge
16-10-2007, 02:18
I would recommend reading some of the postings about VPN access posted to this forum. Opening up the Samba (windows filesharing) application up to the world sounds very, very risky. You're much safer using a VPN to control to access your internal network.

Doing so will require the custom firmware or a full-blown installation of openwrt.

- K.C.

trogdorix
16-10-2007, 05:50
I tried to install the OpenVPN on the custom firmware previously, but with no success. For some reason, the router functionality would cut out whenever I restarted the router, until I removed it from the local.rc

As for opening up Samba onto my WAN, the wl-700 only every be connected to the internet through another router, preventing the share from open access on the internet.

LeperKing
16-10-2007, 09:24
As for opening up Samba onto my WAN, the wl-700 only every be connected to the internet through another router, preventing the share from open access on the internet.

Sounds like you just want the 700g to be in access point mode? You can then have samba working on the "WAN".

LK

wengi
16-10-2007, 12:07
I would like to use my WL-700 for Network Shares without it being the router for the network.

The router is in your local network?
You do NOT want it to route?
Only Samba?

So why connect it with the WAN interface???
Simply connect the LAN interface, disable DHCP and DNS Server. Thats it.

wengi

Or am i getting you wrong?

ddj
16-10-2007, 15:28
If you do not want the router being the router for your network, you can set the router in access point (AP) mode. In this way your WAN port will become a LAN port. (You can then ofcourse disable DHCP and DNS)

I have made serveral shares on this router which I map via windows to drive letters. l also use user based access. So depending on which user is logging in your windows computer, you can map specific network drives.

This works perfectly.

In AP mode you can still use the FTP server. You need to do some port forwarding in the router which's WAN is connected to the internet.

Regards,
- Dave

trogdorix
21-10-2007, 23:01
putting my router into AP mode bricks it. I cant get access via the Wireless interface (but it does broadcast), the LAN ports, or through the WAN port via my primary router. I have tried both using static IPs for the connected machines both with the wl-700's previous IP range, as well as the IP range of the primary router, as well as using the DHCP option to get an assigned IP, but nothing works.

I switched off the DHCP, and then switched into AP mode, which is where the problem starts.

This has happened both on kfurges's custom firmware, as well as the recent 1.0.7.8 fw.

n00ben
26-10-2007, 17:38
remember to open the ports in the firewall

trogdorix
28-10-2007, 00:19
Yep, I forgot to turn off the firewall. It all works properly now.

Thanks everyone.