PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Guest account for SMB (Ziova)

mumsoft
09-09-2007, 13:39
Hi,

Recently I have bought a Ziova CS510 mediastreamer. One of the goodies it has is the ability to use SMB for browsing media forlders, apart from UPnP AV. It uses the guest account without a password for that.
As I have UBSA and some users for different purposes, I added guest in the web interface. I could not leave the password blank, but afterwards I removed the password from etc/passwd.
Now, when I browse with the Ziova, it can find the WL700gE. Nice! There it sees CONFIG and MYSHARE1. Err, Config? But MYSHARE1: nice! But then nothing follows, MYSHARE1 appears to be empty.:(

Could anyone tell me what is happening here and what I can do about it?
Maybe someone else with a Ziova out there?

Marc

sollie
10-09-2007, 07:48
I do not use UBSA. I cp my passwd file through rc.local and with a cronjob.

Sollie.

tiwag
10-09-2007, 10:04
Hi,

Recently I have bought a Ziova CS510 mediastreamer. One of the goodies it has is the ability to use SMB for browsing media forlders, apart from UPnP AV. It uses the guest account without a password for that.
As I have UBSA and some users for different purposes, I added guest in the web interface. I could not leave the password blank, but afterwards I removed the password from etc/passwd.
Now, when I browse with the Ziova, it can find the WL700gE. Nice! There it sees CONFIG and MYSHARE1. Err, Config? But MYSHARE1: nice! But then nothing follows, MYSHARE1 appears to be empty.:(

Could anyone tell me what is happening here and what I can do about it?
Maybe someone else with a Ziova out there?

Marc

1. KEEP USING UBSA
its more work to adjust the permissions but it's a lot more safe than using PBSA !

2. Your guest file-access problem:
you need to adjust the permissions of the shared files, otherwise you'll get what you got, an empty filelist.

if you know something about linux users, groups and permissions,
then the best thing is to create a new group e.g. "nwshare"

then add the user "guest" (and all other users you want to have access to your shares) to the group "nwshare"
then create a new shared folder e.g. "nwshare" and copy all your files and folders there you want to share with guest too.

then modify the group of this folder "nwshare" and all its containing files using the "chgrp" command.

use this link
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
if you are not familiar with the commands "chmod, chown, chgrp, ..."

brgds

mumsoft
11-09-2007, 21:50
Tiwag,

Your message is most welcome. For sure I won't disable UBSA just for the sake of guest being able to browse in the shares.

But I don't get it. My user guest is already member of the group users (42000). And if I look at the rights for Music:
drwxrwxrwx 1217 root users 86312 Sep 1 15:08 Music
it looks ok. The x should enable guest to display the directory Music.
I changed the rights for MYSHARE1 and DMSRoot:
chgrp users MYSHARE1
chgrp users DMSRoot
chgrp -h users Music
This last one is to make the link accessible to users.
Unfortunately this did not do the trick.

Maybe it has more to do with Samba?
BTW groupadd nor useradd are available on my Asus.
Any further ideas?

Marc

tiwag
12-09-2007, 16:11
Tiwag,

Your message is most welcome. For sure I won't disable UBSA just for the sake of guest being able to browse in the shares.

But I don't get it. My user guest is already member of the group users (42000). And if I look at the rights for Music:
drwxrwxrwx 1217 root users 86312 Sep 1 15:08 Music
it looks ok. The x should enable guest to display the directory Music.
I changed the rights for MYSHARE1 and DMSRoot:
chgrp users MYSHARE1
chgrp users DMSRoot
chgrp -h users Music
This last one is to make the link accessible to users.
Unfortunately this did not do the trick.

Maybe it has more to do with Samba?
BTW groupadd nor useradd are available on my Asus.
Any further ideas?

Marc

first i did create a user "guest" with the WEB-configuration tool and
created also a new guest-folder where the guest has full access.

then the asus-SMB knows what folder to give free if any guest is logging in and it adjusts all the __share* files in /shares/MYVOLUME1

then remove the password from the guest account in the file /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd
(i didn't try to create a user without password, maybe this works too)

after that i created a few symlinks in the guest-folder, to other folders, where i want to give read-only access for guests, which is handled by permissions as i already told in my previous posting. here it is useful to have a "guests" group which differs from group "users".

within the guest-folder, my guests have full rights to create folders and may also upload files, but may not delete something.
within the symlinked folders they may have read access to certain files and folders.

in order to add groups it is sufficient to edit the file /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/group

hth

brgds

mumsoft
23-01-2008, 22:08
then remove the password from the guest account in the file /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd
(i didn't try to create a user without password, maybe this works too)

It's a long time ago, but I hope you're still there.
When I remove the password from either /etc/passwd or /shares/MYVOLUME1/__pdc/passwd, that is, when the line shows:
guest::35002:42000:guest:/dev/null:/bin/false
it's still not possible to:
- browse this share via the webinterface of the Asus
- browse it via SMB
Both methods ask username and password, and leaving the password blank does not give access.
Via the webinterface you can't make users without password.
With /sbin/tmpuserchgpw guest it seems possible to empty the password, but in /etc/passwd there is still a garbled string.

I guess I should get this right before trying to get access with the Ziova.
Hope you can help.

Marc