PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Firmware v1.8.1.7 CR2 [Oleg] - updated ( CR2a )

Oleg
18-10-2004, 20:23
New custom firmware available for download (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wl500g-1.8.1.7-2a.zip). Up2date information is available at this page (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/).

There are also firmware for the units in this directory (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/1.8.1.7-2a/). Consider them experimental.

Changes in this release:

Fixed a problem with firewall not working correctly, when logging was active
Fixed a bug in the stock firmware causing time synchronization fail with dyndns service active
Applied a patch to fix problem with Genesys Logic usb chipset
Telstra BigPond changes (thanks to Rod Whitby)
Australian timezones patch (thanks to Rod Whitby)
Added new option "Number of connections to track" to Internet Firewall | Basic Settings

Important notice for post-firewall users: post-firewall script should be adjusted, be carefull when adding rules with -A - this will no longer work correctly, due to unconditional rule at the end of table. Check the iptables -L -v output.

For 1.8.1.7-1 discussion check this thread (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=996).

Update: updated to 1.8.1.7-2a, there is no need to reupload firmware if you do not use dropbear. Links are also updated.

sleuther
19-10-2004, 18:09
Hi Oleg,
thank you for your great work. Due to your effort this ASUS router is a real useful machine. Now to the probs I'm faced to. I installed 1.8.1.7-1 2 days ago and setup the router everything was fine except the topics already listed in the corresponding thread.

So today I installed the new release 1.8.1.7-2 and a new problem is appearing: the ssh daemon (dropbear) is running, but I can't login any longer. After typing in the password the session will hang. Here's the corresponding entry of the router logfiles:

Oct 19 18:34:59 (none) authpriv.err dropbear[124]: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY): Input/output error
Oct 19 18:34:59 (none) authpriv.err dropbear[124]: /dev/pts/0: No such file or directory
Oct 19 18:34:59 (none) authpriv.err dropbear[124]: open /dev/tty failed - could not set controlling tty: No such device or address

Nothing was changed but the loglevel was changed from 'none' to 'dropped' .This is happening on the router which was running fine under 1.8.1-7-1 and the same is happening on a naked router after the update and installing from the scratch. If you'll need more information or tests, please feel free to contact me.

CU Sigurd

Oleg
19-10-2004, 18:14
Thank you for your report. Dropbear is completely broken in this release... Sources are ok, binary is bad.
Update: rebuild as 1.8.1.7-2a, there is no need to reupload firmware if you do not use dropbear. Links are also updated.

Styno
19-10-2004, 22:10
I feel a bit silly but I'm having troubbles getting write access through Samba with firmwares 1.8.1.7-2-pre1 and 1.8.1.7-2a.

When mounting the hidden share$, I can view the directorys and open files, but I'm unable to write files to the disk. This was working fine in 1.7.5.6 CR5.

Any ideas?

Edit 1: I can confirm that Dropbear is working just fine in the 2a release.

Edit 2: I have the following line in the 'post-boot' script to start a 2nd webserver which is not working

/usr/sbin/busybox_httpd -p 81 -h /tmp/harddisk/wwwroot
But when I execute the same command from the commandline the webserver starts normally. Any ideas on why this is not working from post-boot? Everything else is working fine from the post-boot script...

virilius
19-10-2004, 23:56
Hi ppl...

I'm now using 1.8.1.7-2a and having a little problem with manually assigning IPs through MAC. I've added all MACs and the respective IPs to the web interface table, however, only the wired PCs get it's correct IP and the wireless PCs get an IP from the DHCP pool...
I had the same poblem with 1.8.1.7-1, but not with 1.7.5.9-5.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this problem...

Thanks in advance

sleuther
20-10-2004, 08:04
... is now working again (1.8.1.7-2a). Thank you Oleg.

Regards
Sigurd

by the way the link to the 1.8.1.7-2a.zip file is not working. I was only able to download the ...trx file from the other versions directory.

Oleg
20-10-2004, 09:37
by the way the link to the 1.8.1.7-2a.zip file is not working. I was only able to download the ...trx file from the other versions directory.
Repaired now.

Oleg
20-10-2004, 09:40
I'm now using 1.8.1.7-2a and having a little problem with manually assigning IPs through MAC. I've added all MACs and the respective IPs to the web interface table, however, only the wired PCs get it's correct IP and the wireless PCs get an IP from the DHCP pool...

Please post your /etc/ethers file and MAC addresses of problematic clients. Also, it's possible, that wireless clients are requesting old IP addresses, static assignment does not work in this case.

sleuther
20-10-2004, 11:00
Hi it's me again.
if you select logging dropped files and use virtuell servers inside theres a problem:

logdrop all -- br0 ppp0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
logdrop all -- ppp0 br0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 <-----

The second logdrop rules is catching all transfer comming in a dropping it, the firewall ACCEPT rules for the forwarded ports are in following lines and will not be reached anytime. I did a workaroung in killing this rule and adding the necessary drop rules at the end... version 1.8.1.7-2a

CU Sigurd

Oleg
20-10-2004, 11:25
Hi it's me again.
if you select logging dropped files and use virtuell servers inside theres a problem:

logdrop all -- br0 ppp0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
logdrop all -- ppp0 br0 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 <-----

This seems to be a bug in the original firmware... Could you please post entire /tmp/filter_rules?

oldudu
20-10-2004, 11:32
I feel a bit silly but I'm having troubbles getting write access through Samba with firmwares 1.8.1.7-2-pre1 and 1.8.1.7-2a.

When mounting the hidden share$, I can view the directorys and open files, but I'm unable to write files to the disk. This was working fine in 1.7.5.6 CR5.

Any ideas?

I've had the same problem.
The solution I've found is to replace the user root by user admin in the line : force user =

Thanks to all for the nice job

Regards

Oldudu

Oleg
20-10-2004, 11:39
[I've had the same problem.
The solution I've found is to replace the user root by user admin in the line : force user =

Thanks to all for the nice job

Regards

Oldudu
Right, smb.conf has hardcoded root name, but it's provided as sample only. Well, I will probably fix this. For now either change user name to root or edit smb.conf file and save it to flashfs.

Styno
20-10-2004, 12:44
Thanks Oldudu. Will adding users to passwd file work with Samba?

Oleg, any ideas on how to solve my 2nd problem?

Edit 2: I have the following line in the 'post-boot' script to start a 2nd webserver which is not working

/usr/sbin/busybox_httpd -p 81 -h /tmp/harddisk/wwwrootBut when I execute the same command from the commandline the webserver starts normally. Any ideas on why this is not working from post-boot? Everything else is working fine from the post-boot script...

Oleg
20-10-2004, 12:50

Oleg, any ideas on how to solve my 2nd problem?
Not yet. Try redirecting the output using something like this:

busybox_httpd ... > /tmp/log 2>&1

and check it after boot-up. Also, be sure you've #!/bin/sh at the top.

virilius
20-10-2004, 13:44
Hummm... Deleting dhcpd cache in each node did solve the problem... I did try that solution but not the right way...

Thanks a lot :)

oldudu
20-10-2004, 15:43

Hi, I don't know if it should work, but that's a good idea, I will try it later, and tell you the results later.

Oldudu

Oleg
20-10-2004, 15:47
If you mean adding root - yes, it should work.

sleuther
20-10-2004, 17:00
This seems to be a bug in the original firmware... Could you please post entire /tmp/filter_rules?
here it is:

*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:logaccept - [0:0]
:logdrop - [0:0]
-A INPUT -m state --state INVALID -j logdrop
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i br0 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -d 84.128.179.237 --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -d 84.128.179.237 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -j logdrop
-A FORWARD -m state --state INVALID -j logdrop
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -m tcpmss --mss 1453: -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1452
-A FORWARD -p tcp --syn -m limit --limit 1/s -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,ACK,FIN,RST RST -m limit --limit 1/s -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -m limit --limit 1/s -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o ppp0 -p tcp -s 192.168.252.1 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o ppp0 -p udp -s 192.168.252.1 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o ppp0 -p tcp -s 192.168.252.115 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o ppp0 -p udp -s 192.168.252.115 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o ppp0 -p tcp -s 192.168.252.116 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o ppp0 -p udp -s 192.168.252.116 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i br0 -o ppp0 -j logdrop
-A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o br0 -p tcp --sport 20:130 -d 192.168.252.1 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o br0 -p tcp -d 192.168.252.1 --dport 20:130 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o br0 -j logdrop
-A FORWARD -p udp -m udp -d 255.255.255.255 --dport 47624 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp -d 192.168.252.1 --dport 20:21 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp -d 192.168.252.1 --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp -d 192.168.252.1 --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp -d 192.168.252.1 --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp -d 192.168.252.1 --dport 2506 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp -d 192.168.252.1 --dport 3389 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp -d 192.168.252.1 --dport 30660 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -p udp --dport 6112 -j ACCEPT
-A logaccept -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "ACCEPT " --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options
-A logaccept -j ACCEPT
-A logdrop -m state --state NEW -j LOG --log-prefix "DROP" --log-tcp-sequence --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options
-A logdrop -j DROP
COMMIT

Without the added rules for ports 20:130 the logdrop lines will receive all traffic and I couldn't get a connection. all rules after the logdrop are added by the virtual server web page. but will never be executed because of
-A FORWARD -i ppp0 -o br0 -j logdrop

Oleg
20-10-2004, 17:35
Well, firewall between WAN & LAN is broken... Don't know why ASUS has done this in this way...
Do you need it at all?

Edit: fixed.

Styno
20-10-2004, 17:50
I have some problems undestanding the new layout of flashfs partition and how the boot script handles it:

As an example I will use /etc/smb.conf. On your wl500g.dyndns.org page you state:

once you've made the changes to the ramfs system (/usr/local/ now also mapped to ramfs, you need to launch special command to store modified files permanently in the flash. During the next boot wl500g will extract these files for you. So, you can store whatever you need just like in real non-volatile file system. Consider using /usr/local/etc for files which is normally resides in /etc, /usr/local/sbin for "ASUS style" init scripts and /usr/local/sbin for executables files/scripts
As I understand right, any file in /usr/local/etc will be placed in /etc at boottime. This was working fine and dandy in firmware 1.7.5.9 CR5.

Now comes the confusing part:
I've copied /etc/smb.conf to /usr/local/etc/smb.conf, edited the file and saved it using 'flashfs save' and 'flashfs commit'. After reboot the /etc/smb.conf appears unchanged, but if I view the /usr/local/etc/smb.conf file I can clearly see the changes.

What am I doing wrong here?

Styno
20-10-2004, 17:52
Not yet. Try redirecting the output using something like this:

busybox_httpd ... > /tmp/log 2>&1

and check it after boot-up. Also, be sure you've #!/bin/sh at the top.
I did the test and the result is:

cat log
busybox_httpd: can`t chdir to /tmp/harddisk/wwwroot: No such file or directory

It appears that the USB HDD is not mounted yet when running 'post-boot'...I think it should be.

Oleg
20-10-2004, 17:54
As an example I will use /etc/smb.conf. On your wl500g.dyndns.org page you state:

As I understand right, any file in /usr/local/etc will be placed in /etc at boottime. This was working fine and dandy in firmware 1.7.5.9 CR5.

No, this never works this way. You just need to add /etc/smb.conf to the list of files (i.e. /usr/local/.files. You may want to check /sbin/flashfs - it's shell script, and it's called as "flashfs start" on boot.

Oleg
20-10-2004, 18:01
I did the test and the result is:

cat log
busybox_httpd: can`t chdir to /tmp/harddisk/wwwroot: No such file or directory

It appears that the USB HDD is not mounted yet when running 'post-boot'...I think it should be.
Ok, I knew the answer. This is new asus know-how. They're mounting disks from the watchdog which runs once per second or so... Mount it manually or add sleep.

Styno
20-10-2004, 18:18
No, this never works this way. You just need to add /etc/smb.conf to the list of files (i.e. /usr/local/.files. You may want to check /sbin/flashfs - it's shell script, and it's called as "flashfs start" on boot.
Oh yes, I was being really dumb there. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm back on track with this now.

Ok, I knew the answer. This is new asus know-how. They're mounting disks from the watchdog which runs once per second or so... Mount it manually or add sleep.OMG, thats a weird decision Asus made there. That makes the boot scripts not very reliable when USB HDD is involved...

I'll try to add some lines to post-boot script to let it wait for the disk to come online for a maximum of one minute or so. If not, the boot script will continue.

Spot
20-10-2004, 22:02
Hi!

trying to add:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -d "$2" --dport 80 -j DNAT --to "$2":8080

via telnet, here's the outpout I received:

iptables v1.2.7a: host/network `' not found
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Does someone could explain me what's wrong?

Styno
20-10-2004, 22:09
The following code can be put in the post-boot script. This will delay furter booting (up to 30 seconds) in order to let the watchdog mount your HDD. Once the script detects the HDD, it will resume booting. Enjoy!

i=0
while [ $i -le 30 ]; do
if [ -d /tmp/harddisk/ftp_pub ] ; then
break
fi
sleep 1
i=(($i + 1))
done
BTW. this is my first shell script for Linux ever! It took me 2 hours but, boy, am I proud...

My tests show that the HDD is mounted approximately 10 seconds after the post-boot script is called.

Oleg
21-10-2004, 15:11
BTW. this is my first shell script for Linux ever! It took me 2 hours but, boy, am I proud...

Congratulations to you. :)

Styno
23-10-2004, 12:06
Hi!

trying to add:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -d "$2" --dport 80 -j DNAT --to "$2":8080

via telnet, here's the outpout I received:

iptables v1.2.7a: host/network `' not found
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Does someone could explain me what's wrong?
The "$2" parameters are only valid when using it in post-firewall script. When running form command-line you should use the ethernet device instead, e.g. 'eth1'.

Holli
25-10-2004, 08:36
Is it possible to config a seperate Firewall for W-LAN and LAN?

Styno
25-10-2004, 10:03
If you've read this thread you would have found:

Well, firewall between WAN & LAN is broken... Don't know why ASUS has done this in this way...

Oleg
25-10-2004, 11:38
No. Downgrade to 1.7.x.x if you need this.

xlephant
27-10-2004, 10:21
hi together,

i run the 1.8.1.7-2 Firmware by Oleg.
the situation:
A few days ago i swaped to another isp. i had to configured my wl500g with a static ip which shows to the DMZ ip of the router from my new isp.
(before that -ppoe-, everything was working fine)

1st BUG is shown here:
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1057
it is not the important one, but after power off...pls read yourself.

2nd BUG:
on monday i want to download a guest ticket for linuxworldexpo here in frankfurt. tried hp.com, but down...hmm...okay afterall i downloaded my ticket from suse.de sponsord by novel.
yesterday i tried to download adobe acrobat reader from adobe.com, but down(no ping or anything else)..hmm...fuck. first i tought it is a routing or dns problem from my isp, but its not, it is the wl500g.
Explanation:
the first point i figured out was that both adresses (hp and adobe) have an ip adress starting with 192.XXX.XXX.XXX. afterall i connected my computer directly to the sdsl router/modem(same ip, same dns), and what sould i say. my computer is connection perfectly to the adresses shown above.

so i thing there sould be a problem in firmware to handle with 192' ip adresses AND static ip. can somebody pls confirm that?

somebody who has a solution?
thx in advance for all quotes.

ps: sry because of my bad english.

Styno
27-10-2004, 10:33
hi together,

the first point i figured out was that both adresses (hp and adobe) have an ip adress starting with 192.XXX.XXX.XXX. afterall i connected my computer directly to the sdsl router/modem(same ip, same dns), and what sould i say. my computer is connection perfectly to the adresses shown above.

so i thing there sould be a problem in firmware to handle with 192' ip adresses AND static ip. can somebody pls confirm that?

Can you tell us what your netmask is, both on the router as on you linux box?

Another question: Why have you configured the first modem/router to place the WL-500g in DMZ instead of using bridging?

xlephant
27-10-2004, 10:42
Can you tell us what your netmask is, both on the router as on you linux box?

both should have 255.255.255.0 but because of the first bug(see pic in the thread for the first bug) im not sure if it is saved on the wl500g, i don't thinks so because it showns 255.0.0.0 (see this pic). but that should not be the problem or?

Another question: Why have you configured the first modem/router to place the WL-500g in DMZ instead of using bridging?
that is the only methode i can connect without port lockings directly to the blackbox, the router from my isp doesn't offer any other mode. but maybe i have to try that. but on the other hand it sould work, like i configured it, or not?!

xlephant
27-10-2004, 11:02
@styno
in briging mod the same problem :(

Styno
27-10-2004, 11:08
both should have 255.255.255.0 but because of the first bug(see pic in the thread for the first bug) im not sure if it is saved on the wl500g, i don't thinks so because it showns 255.0.0.0 (see this pic). but that should not be the problem or?It seems to me that every address starting with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx is considered to be on the LAN by the modem/router. Try changing the netmask to 255.255.255.0.

that is the only methode i can connect without port lockings directly to the blackbox, the router from my isp doesn't offer any other mode. but maybe i have to try that. but on the other hand it sould work, like i configured it, or not?!If you configure your modem/router to do bridging then you can use MAC spoofing on the Asus router to let the ISP think the Asus is the router (e.a. the WL-500g has the same MAC as the modem/router). That should work.

xlephant
27-10-2004, 11:21
i can't enter my router/modem. first of all its not allowed. 2nd there is no reaction if i ping or if i try telnet to it. so that doesn't work.

It seems to me that every address starting with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx is considered to be on the LAN by the modem/router. Try changing the netmask to 255.255.255.0.

i tried that many times before. but it changes by itselfs to 255.0.0.0 thats why i think there is a bug.

its awful when an advertising is loading from a server which i can't enter, i have to wait for the time out and then the whole page is loading.

if i let receive the wl500g the ip adress by dhcp(Automatic IP) everything is working fine.b :confused:

Oleg
27-10-2004, 12:21
Yes, this looks like a bug. Can you please post an output produces by

nvram show|grep netmask

xlephant
27-10-2004, 13:38
hi oleg,

thx for your answer, here the code:

[root@(none) root]$ nvram show|grep netmask
wanx_netmask=255.0.0.0
lan_netmask=255.255.255.0
wan_netmask=255.0.0.0
dr_staticnetmask_x=0
wan_netmask_t=255.0.0.0
size: 8483 bytes (24285 left)
wan0_netmask=255.0.0.0
wan0_netmask_t=
lan_netmask_t=255.255.255.0
sr_netmask_x=
wan0_pppoe_netmask=

Oleg
27-10-2004, 13:42
I can't check code right now, try this as workaround:

nvram set wanx_netmask=255.255.255.0
nvram set wan_netmask=255.255.255.0
nvram set wan_netmask_t=255.255.255.0
nvram set wan0_netmask=255.255.255.0
nvram set wan0_netmask_t=255.255.255.0
nvram commit
reboot

And check if it helps you.

xlephant
27-10-2004, 19:24
hi oleg,

thx a lot that you try to help.
but I'm sorry your workaround doesn't really work. the code changed the subnet but after typing in the static ip 192.168.1.16 and a reboot the router changes the static ip to 1.1.1.1 and the netmask to 255.0.0.0 (in the wan&ip page) in the statuspage the ip is correct but the netmask is set to 255.0.0.0 (but i can connect to internet except the known pages like adobe.com etc). if i now restart or turn off the router the settings from the wan&ip page are activated and i have no access to internet because of the static ip 1.1.1.1.

any idea? thx in advance...

Oleg
27-10-2004, 20:10
You need to execute this commands right after configuring static IP and pressing Apply. Any succeeding changes in the web iface will noop netmask - this is not permanent.

Antiloop
27-10-2004, 20:23
hi oleg,

thx a lot that you try to help.
but I'm sorry your workaround doesn't really work. the code changed the subnet but after typing in the static ip 192.168.1.16 and a reboot the router changes the static ip to 1.1.1.1 and the netmask to 255.0.0.0 (in the wan&ip page) in the statuspage the ip is correct but the netmask is set to 255.0.0.0 (but i can connect to internet except the known pages like adobe.com etc). if i now restart or turn off the router the settings from the wan&ip page are activated and i have no access to internet because of the static ip 1.1.1.1.

any idea? thx in advance...

okay I think i have a possible temporarily solutions for you

do the steps oleg said: (except the reboot)

nvram set wanx_netmask=255.255.255.0
nvram set wan_netmask=255.255.255.0
nvram set wan_netmask_t=255.255.255.0
nvram set wan0_netmask=255.255.255.0
nvram set wan0_netmask_t=255.255.255.0
nvram commit

go to your status page, disconnect from wan, and reconnect
netmask should be okay, till reboot then you have to apply the stuff again :(

I have tested same setup as you did, and got the same shit.. netmask 255.0.0.0 and IP in the setup page was 1.1.1.1

xlephant
28-10-2004, 13:12
@oleq and antiloop

thx a lot the last solution is working for me(now i can enter adresses like hp.com and adobe.com with 192er ips).
i created a script for the code and save it by flashfs (thx oleg).
do you guys know a way how to change the static ip by code? then i will put this in my script, and let it start automatically after reboot or power off. this should work, or?

Oleg
28-10-2004, 13:59
Please clarify: which address range you've specified for lan?

xlephant
28-10-2004, 14:09
my "must have" :D ip settings:

wan ip adress:
192.168.1.16 (because of DMZ IP from my SDSL /ROUTER)
wan subnet mask:
gateway:

local router ip:
192.168.1.3 (my.router)

DHCP Server:
starts at:
ends at:

thats all. i don't know why the router is searching for 192x ips in my local network, and i don't know if he is realy doing this. the fact is, that i can't connect to hp.com and adobe.com (other i didn't try) with the subnetmask 255.0.0.0. ideas?

Oleg
28-10-2004, 14:38
Well, guy. This is the reason, why it's going to 1.1.1.1 - you CAN'T specify the same net for LAN and WAN side. Switch your LAN to 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 and your problems will be solved.
This is not a bug, this is a MISCONFIGURATION.

xlephant
28-10-2004, 15:02
ohh its such a shame :o
i feel ashamed, you're totaly right. i knew that, but i didn't notice that by typing in the last post.

if you came to frankfurt (airport) next time you will get this beer crate in real ;)

thx a lot, now everything is working fine.

reddevil
28-10-2004, 21:38
Hi,
I have problem with the transfer speed from my wireless network to my hdd. that is attach at the usb port.

When i install the firmware (1.8.1.7) than the ftp transfer speed is around 50 Kbyte. this is much lower than when i install the firmware (9.8.2.1) (ftp transfer speed : +/- 350 Kbyte).

is it normal that it's so huge difference? It take month's to fill my 160 gig hd with this speed :)
Thanks in advance.

Oleg
29-10-2004, 10:35
Hi,
I have problem with the transfer speed from my wireless network to my hdd. that is attach at the usb port.

Have you checked wired connection?

When i install the firmware (1.8.1.7) than the ftp transfer speed is around 50 Kbyte. this is much lower than when i install the firmware (9.8.2.1) (ftp transfer speed : +/- 350 Kbyte).

Is it read or write speed. Also, which firmware version you're using exactly? Is it 1.8.1.7 or 1.8.1.7-2a?

Oleg
29-10-2004, 10:42
if you came to frankfurt (airport) next time you will get this beer crate in real ;)

Ok, will do. :D

reddevil
29-10-2004, 19:56
Have you checked wired connection?

Is it read or write speed. Also, which firmware version you're using exactly? Is it 1.8.1.7 or 1.8.1.7-2a?

If i use the wired connection i get the same result. I'm using firmware 1.8.1.7-2a. the speed make no difference,iIt's when i upload or download files.

Oleg
29-10-2004, 20:09
If i use the wired connection i get the same result. I'm using firmware 1.8.1.7-2a. the speed make no difference,iIt's when i upload or download files.
Please try using ASUS 1.8.1.7 firmware and let me know if it works better. The only reason for me is that your hdd case has broken chipset or whatever. With usb stick I''ve 600k transfer rate.

reddevil
31-10-2004, 22:39
Please try using ASUS 1.8.1.7 firmware and let me know if it works better. The only reason for me is that your hdd case has broken chipset or whatever. With usb stick I''ve 600k transfer rate.

Oleg i made a mistake. here are my new results: (all in wired state, ftp, same file 12MB)

firmware :
- 9.8.2.1 : upload : 250 K/s Download : 400 K/s
- 1.8.1.7 : upload : 250 K/s Downlaod : 470 K/s
- 1.8.1.7-2a : upload : 50 K/s Download : 600 K/s

So the slow speed was only at upload. sorry about that. But it's not much if you compare it with the other firmwares. And why is the upload slower than download?

Oleg
31-10-2004, 22:49
Probably your case are built using the Genesys Logic chips... 1.8.1.7-2a has workarounds for it.
Take a look at this thread (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=992) and
try launching and post results for this command

cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/0

reddevil
31-10-2004, 22:54
Probably your case are built using the Genesys Logic chips... 1.8.1.7-2a has workarounds for it.
Take a look at this thread (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=992) and
try launching and post results for this command

Host scsi0: usb-storage
Vendor: Myson Century, Inc.
Product: USB Mass Storage Device
Serial Number: 100
Protocol: 8070i
Transport: Bulk
GUID: 04cf88180000000000000100
Attached: Yes

naruto
01-11-2004, 10:03
Hello

i have 2 problems with this FW :(

1 the bigest i canot conect o my ISP (ARCOR) with PPOE.

2 the DHCP gives my no fix IP assign to MAC

with 1.7 FW from OLeg works all fine :D

THX

Maik

daffy
01-11-2004, 13:12
If Arcor = "Arcor of Germany", well, no problems whatsoever here, from the very beginning (1.6.3) until now (1.8.1.7-2a).

Since the last reset to defaults (my upgrade to 1.8.1.7-1), I haven't bothered assigning a static IP address to one specific MAC; this at least used to work in the 1.7 series (of Oleg's firmware).

Oleg
01-11-2004, 13:14

Host scsi0: usb-storage
Vendor: Myson Century, Inc.
Product: USB Mass Storage Device
Serial Number: 100
Protocol: 8070i
Transport: Bulk
GUID: 04cf88180000000000000100
Attached: Yes

Ok, I will check on this.

Oleg
01-11-2004, 13:39
Hello

THX

Maik
PPPoE works fine for me. Do you've anything in the logs?

Have you reseted unit to defaults after upgrade?

As for DHCP - manual assignment also work, be sure to clear caches on the clients.

xlephant
01-11-2004, 14:28
Hello

THX

Maik

ich hatte auch keine probleme mit arcor die ganze zeit nicht. also an der firmware wird es nicht liegen...

Edit by Styno: In English please next time
i will do that, but i was so happy to write a msg in this forum in german... ;)

naruto
02-11-2004, 01:06
Hi,

okay thank @all

1. Problem DHCP is now working the problem is when i ativate WPA,TKIP then it bekomes no Adress from DHCP with WEB 128 is works fine.

2. Arcor works now, i think the factory restore at the first time ( before Update to 1.8) works not right after i make the factory reset after flashing is it working.

Know one from you what is the problem with WPA,TKIP and DHCP is ther a conection betwen then ?

Naruto

Oleg
02-11-2004, 08:27
Know one from you what is the problem with WPA,TKIP and DHCP is ther a conection betwen then ?

This is not a DHCP problem. Your client was not authenticated by wl500g due to WPA & TKIP, that's why no communication is ever possible.

jbrbv
05-11-2004, 00:01
This is not a DHCP problem. Your client was not authenticated by wl500g due to WPA & TKIP, that's why no communication is ever possible.

My Sweex 11 Mbit PCI card connects only if i use WPA-PSK with TKIP. The combination of WPA-PSK and AES did work in the past (fw 1.6.x.x)

jbrbv
06-11-2004, 00:41

I tried the combinations of the WL-500G (fw 1.8.1.7-2a) and an Centrino with Intel 2200BG v8.1.0.28 driver.

The WL-500G is in AP mode with WPA-PSK/TKIP+AES only.
The intel with WPA-PSK/TKIP cannot connect
The intel with WPA-PSK/AES can connect

The WL-500G is in AP mode with WPA-PSK/TKIP only.
The intel with WPA-PSK/TKIP can connect

The WL-500G is in AP mode with WPA-PSK/AES only.
The intel with WPA-PSK/AES can connect

Oleg
13-11-2004, 00:34
Oleg i made a mistake. here are my new results: (all in wired state, ftp, same file 12MB)

firmware :
- 9.8.2.1 : upload : 250 K/s Download : 400 K/s
- 1.8.1.7 : upload : 250 K/s Downlaod : 470 K/s
- 1.8.1.7-2a : upload : 50 K/s Download : 600 K/s

So the slow speed was only at upload. sorry about that. But it's not much if you compare it with the other firmwares. And why is the upload slower than download?
Problem seems to be identified - ASUS has modified stupid-ftpd to make writes synchronous, which is causing slowdowns. Fixed.

jbrbv
13-11-2004, 12:03

Oleg, you know the reason for this problem? Can it be fixed?

Oleg
13-11-2004, 12:14
Oleg, you know the reason for this problem? Can it be fixed?
There are number of reasons - wrong key, bad or old driver, bad settings on your windows box.
Just read your other post. Looks like Intel driver does not support AES + TKIP at the same time.

jbrbv
14-11-2004, 11:44
There are number of reasons - wrong key, bad or old driver, bad settings on your windows box.
Just read your other post. Looks like Intel driver does not support AES + TKIP at the same time.
I was under the impression, that ASUS offered us with TKIP+AES the possibility for multiple stations to connect with WPA-PSK authentication concurrently no matter if they have TKIP- (All) or AES- (many) encryption.
The station (or card) driver (for example intel) should only support one encryption method (TKIP or AES) at a time.
The ASUS gives us the possibility to access the WL-500G with AES or TKIP concurrently and it should not matter, as the WL-500G makes the choice with which method will be connected.
I think the ASUS can't make the right decision when TKIP+AES is choosen, between AES and TKIP when a station has TKIP.
When using AES on the station (= card) side it works.

tonia
08-12-2004, 11:01
WLAN disconnect problem:

Using 1.8.1.7-2a, with WPA-PSK/TKIP

Had Virtual Server enabled. This made WLAN disconnect at about 10-20 secs, consistently, on my laptop (with wl-100g). When I disabled Virtual Server, everything OK.

;)