PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Digital Media Server Devices

darbid
31-07-2007, 15:17
I am the proud owner of a PS3. :D
As my girlfriend says buying new devices is a vicious circle. :mad:
Since the PS3 could comunicate with DLNA service/software (twonky, tversity, nerohome, windows) I have been playing with this and have started to organise my video (DVD), music and photos. Currently support for file types and content is lacking and so i have been looking at digital media servers, thus the vicious circle remark ;)

.... that is a device that "will connect to my network" (preferrable not my computer as I do not want to have it always on, plus I know how to connect my computer to my projector) and then has a connection directly to my stereo receiver and/or projector. Result being high quality (up to HD picture and sound 5.1)

The D-link 520 looks like it plays most files and I think it now plays DVDs virtually (not sure about this) but how will it connect to the WL700g? Can such a device see my networked drives and simply play from them or does it need a server client to be given the files? I am currently playing with twonky and it looks good and there is a little bit of after sales service but it costs money.

So how do people do it?

PS: I know almost nothing about linux so I am not looking for the solution where I download this package and that the result here is that I pull my hair out and annoy you guys on the forum. I love plug and play.

mumsoft
14-08-2007, 21:09
I am the proud owner of a PS3. :D

The D-link 520 looks like it plays most files and I think it now plays DVDs virtually (not sure about this) but how will it connect to the WL700g? Can such a device see my networked drives and simply play from them or does it need a server client to be given the files? I am currently playing with twonky and it looks good and there is a little bit of after sales service but it costs money.

So how do people do it?

After all those hundreds of replies you might not notice mine, but, here it is. ;)
As the D-link can have access to UPnP AV devices as the Asus is, and D-link 520 is amongst the supported devices for Twonky (http://www.twonkyvision.com/Products/TwonkyMedia/devices.html), just as the PS3 is in version 4.4 by the way, I really think this media client is suitable for you.
But I don't think you can do without Twonky as media server. There is little chance that you can access the files directly, and you will miss all metadata if you could.

PS: I know almost nothing about linux so I am not looking for the solution where I download this package and that the result here is that I pull my hair out and annoy you guys on the forum. I love plug and play.

Yer, well, installing KCFurge modified firmware is not that hard! And also installing Twonkymedia is described here http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?p=55523&highlight=Twonky#post55523.
If you won't try, you won't succeed. Maybe you should go for the D-Link DSM-G600 for the plug and play feast.

Marc